Question Arcam a19 Kef q350

Speaker123

Jan 18, 2021
Visit site
Any thoughts on pairing for arcam a19, something that brings the higher end out but still keeps the lows. Thoughts on the Kefq350, don't want to spend more than them but would be happy to go second hand. Looking at stand mounts due to size of room.

Thanks

rainsoothe

Any thoughts on pairing for arcam a19, something that brings the higher end out but still keeps the lows. Thoughts on the Kefq350, don't want to spend more than them but would be happy to go second hand. Looking at stand mounts due to size of room.

Thanks
Haven't heard them together, but they should work well. The A19 was great imo, but some don't like it. Let your ears decide.

Reactions: Speaker123

Speaker123

Jan 18, 2021
Visit site
Do you have any other suggestions for speakers that may work well with the arcam at that price point. Some people seem to recommend BW with arcam but many others are against it. Will the A19 have enough power to push the KEFs to higher volume (in a small room) ? Thanks

rainsoothe

Do you have any other suggestions for speakers that may work well with the arcam at that price point. Some people seem to recommend BW with arcam but many others are against it. Will the A19 have enough power to push the KEFs to higher volume (in a small room) ? Thanks
Should be fine, but don't know what high volume means - but I doubt you can tolerate running it past 11-12 o'clock on the volume knob. Imo Arcam go great with B&W - but it all depends on budget. I used to run Focal Aria 906 with mine, but the Chora range should go well too. With rear ported designs, you need to give them some room behind them ( think 30cm minimum, but ideally over 40).

Speaker123

Jan 18, 2021
Visit site
Thanks, had seen focal recommended but seem a bit over what i'd like to spend (around 400). The BW 606 are available at quite a good price but some people say they are overly bright. I know the arcam is quite 'laid back' so I feel a 'brighter' speaker may bring the highs out a bit more and help to widen the sound stage. I could be wrong but some people also seem to dislike the metal drivers claiming they are harsh, is this just personal preference?

D

Deleted member 116933

Thanks, had seen focal recommended but seem a bit over what i'd like to spend (around 400). The BW 606 are available at quite a good price but some people say they are overly bright. I know the arcam is quite 'laid back' so I feel a 'brighter' speaker may bring the highs out a bit more and help to widen the sound stage. I could be wrong but some people also seem to dislike the metal drivers claiming they are harsh, is this just personal preference?

metal driver/soft dome, both can be harsh hs nothing to do with the material. A lot of folks get mixed up detail and harshness, if you're not used to it detail can come across as cold and bright.

As you say Arcam traditionally (that's an important word newer Arcam is a very different sound to 20 years ago) is a smoother listen, to bring some pep back you want
more lively speakers. It's about balance you don't want to much of any one thing.

Speaking of, Klipsch and a lively presentation id add the 600rp bookshelves to your shortlist, they need a boundary wall so can sit quite close to the wall behind them.

Others too lookout for second hand

revel
neat
older missions 780s and up just make sure they went back for the mid-range driver recall
JBL
KEF coda i quite liked these back in the day
KEF iq5's very nice especially the special edition versions

new
KEF
BW
Qacoustics
wharfdale

never heard focal

Try and audition those

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: rainsoothe

Speaker123

Jan 18, 2021
Visit site
metal driver/soft dome, both can be harsh hs nothing to do with the material. A lot of folks get mixed up detail and harshness, if you're not used to it detail can come across as cold and bright.

As you say Arcam traditionally (that's an important word newer Arcam is a very different sound to 20 years ago) is a smoother listen, to bring some pep back you want
more lively speakers. Its about balance you don't want to much of any one thing.

Speaking of Klipsch and a lively presentation id add the 600rp bookshelves to your short list, they need a boundary wall so can sit quite close to the wall behind them.

Others too lookout for second hand

revel
neat
older missions 780s and up just make sure they went back for the mid range driver recall
JBL
KEF coda i quite liked these back in the day
KEF iq5's very nice especially the special edition versions

new
KEF
BW
Qacoustics
wharfdale

never heard focal

Try and audition those
Thanks for the advice, very helpful. I'll have a look into the ones you mentioned. I've looked at the Klipsch speakers you mentioned but they seem to be much more than I'd want to spend due to them being American I believe.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
What kind of sound did they give? I've heard MA can be a bit bright

The sound was more musical than bright I would say, in fact at that price level I found the combination quite startlingly good. If you like deep bass though avoid as this was lacking. That said the smooth punchy sound of the Arcam definitely compensated.

D

Deleted member 116933

The sound was more musical than bright I would say, in fact at that price level I found the combination quite startlingly good. If you like deep bass though avoid as this was lacking. That said the smooth punchy sound of the Arcam definitely compensated.

Musical meaning what?

D

Deleted member 116933

Thanks for the advice, very helpful. I'll have a look into the ones you mentioned. I've looked at the Klipsch speakers you mentioned but they seem to be much more than I'd want to spend due to them being American I believe.

Well I think there worth save for if they have the right balance you're. They're only a few bob more just means you'd have to wait few more months maybe. Maybe buy a few tinnies less for a few weeks.

some of the BW's you were thinking of aren't far off that price nor are the MA's (new at least)

I say buy once and get it right.

Speaker123

Jan 18, 2021
Visit site
Well I think there worth save for if they have the right balance you're. They're only a few bob more just means you'd have to wait few more months maybe. Maybe buy a few tinnies less for a few weeks.

some of the BW's you were thinking of aren't far off that price nor are the MA's (new at least)

I say buy once and get it right.
Thanks for the advice, tinnies are essentials. Will definitely look at the Klipsch then as they do seem to come recommend. Annoying they cost so much more in the UK than the US. The 606's new are about 325£. I will hold off and save as like you say if youre going to buy something you should do it properly.

D

Deleted member 116933

Thanks for the advice, tinnies are essentials. Will definitely look at the Klipsch then as they do seem to come recommend. Annoying they cost so much more in the UK than the US. The 606's new are about 325£. I will hold off and save as like you say if youre going to buy something you should do it properly.

i think it will be worth it as it will open your options Up and will be a upgrade then rather than a side step.

come back and tell us how you get on in the future!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts