ARC Problem with new TV

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
Hi, I just bought a Samsung KU6400 TV, wired it in and cannot make it work with my Sony DN840 AV amplifier. So, here is what does and does not work:

BD through HDMI from BD player to AV Receiver to TV is working.

TV connected to AV Receiver with an optical cable is working.

HDMI through the ARC connection on the TV to AV Receiver gives NO sound.

I have tried different HDMI cables (do I need a special type?). The TV allows me to select the sound output but the HDMI receiver is sometimes in the list, sometimes not. When I select it, I get the little jumping sound display that suggests that the TV is using that output, but cannot hear anything through the AV Receiver.

Yesterday, I found a thread talking about 4K pass through as a possible issue, but the DN840 says it does this.

I am not an expert on this kind of thing, and the AV Receiver is particularly complex to set up. I tried different settings for the TV audio output, no difference, so have returned to the default of PCL. At no time has the TV tried to link through Anynet, which my old TV did. Again, no idea why not, or if it should!

Any help gratefully received

abacus

So long as the HDMI cable meets the HDMI Specifications, it will be fine. (Don’t be conned into buying expensive cables, as they don’t make any difference)

Disconnect the optical cable, as it is not needed with ARC.

Make sure the cable is connected to the ARC output of the receiver and the ARC input of the TV. (Not all the HDMI sockets have ARC)

Make sure ARC is turned on in the TV menu, and also turned on in the receiver. (It may also need to be reassigned, if you have changed it to the SP-DIF input)

Hope this helps

Bill

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
So, turned on the TV this morning, the AVR powered up automatically and everything now works. I changed nothing, and so have no idea what is going on. Did read one interesting thread that said that some TVs need time to settle after installation. I am not at all sure whether to believe this, but I do not have a better suggestion!

abacus

If everything is set to auto, then every time you switch on, it will usually automatically set everything up, which is most probably what has happened here.

TVs do take a little time to settle in, (Picture wise) hence the reason they recommend they have at least 100 hrs on them before having them calibrated. (If you are happy with what you have, then calibration is not vital, but if its high end, then you might as well get the best out of it you can)

Hope this helps

Bill

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
abacus said:
If everything is set to auto, then every time you switch on, it will usually automatically set everything up, which is most probably what has happened here.

TVs do take a little time to settle in, (Picture wise) hence the reason they recommend they have at least 100 hrs on them before having them calibrated. (If you are happy with what you have, then calibration is not vital, but if its high end, then you might as well get the best out of it you can)

Hope this helps

Bill

100 hours run is only recommended for plasma for calibration, not LCD or OLED, they can calibrated straight away.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts