ARC & CEC

fahim

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Hi -

I have a Onkyo TX-NR-876 which I have had for quite some time and a Sony Bravia KDL-46NX703 both that I have had for several year (the Onkyo for longer). The Bravia is used primarily as a monitor but I am now interested in using the 'smart' features of the television.

My current set-up has everything going to the Onkyo (Sky Box, PS3 etc.) and the Onkyo going to the TV. I even have it so that the TV's speakers are disabled, changing the TV volume changes the receiver's volume, and switching on/off the television switches the receivers on/off.

If I switch to some 'smart' content on the TV, for example YouTube, the mode on the receiver changes but there isn't any sound.

I am guessing that this because of CAC, but because the receiver doesn't support ARC there is no sound.Am I correct in my thinking or is there something else going on?

Will it just (not exactly a light 'just') be a case of replacing the receiver which is ARC compatible or is there something else I need to do?

Thanks in advance for all your help...

Fahim

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Yes, ARC would solve the issue, but rather than replace the receiver, just run a digital optical cable back from the TV to the AVR and then switch to that input on the receiver when you want to hear sound from your TV's smart functions.

An ARC-enabled receiver would just remove that requirement to run the optical cable.

Paul.

Tie string to the bottom end of your hdmi and pull it out of the channel you cut from the top end, leaving string inside of the channel. Attach your optical to the string where it attaches to the hdmi and pull it back through the channel.

If you plastered over your hdmi, your options are cutting out a channel and plastering over some trunking so in the future the above trick would work, or buy a new receiver.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts