April price rise!!!!!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

Just looking at the naim forum and wanted to know am i not alone in thinking that the top brass and moderator's in this company are living on an alternative planet?

When the economy is in free fall and people are loosing job's left right and center, and people who are employed are forced to take a pay cut and reduced working hours.

Utility companies and banks are reducing prices but NAIM thinks it OK to raise their's by 4/5 percent.

And before the naim sheep respond with a Question that has being drilled into them by Adam, NO my wages haven't gone up!

WHF team please show this post as it's about time people named and shamed these companies that think everybody should be recession proof!

Regards

Angry small naim owner.
emotion-39.gif

A

Anonymous

My local indian take away has increased prices by 10%!!!!!!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Does anyone want to explain the state of the world economy to Meridian Man, in particular the weakness of the pound and its impact on costs?

A

Anonymous

meridian man:
Hi all,

Just looking at the naim forum and wanted to know am i not alone in thinking that the top brass and moderator's in this company are living on an alternative planet?

When the economy is in free fall and people are loosing job's left right and center, and people who are employed are forced to take a pay cut and reduced working hours.

Utility companies and banks are reducing prices but NAIM thinks it OK to raise their's by 4/5 percent.

And before the naim sheep respond with a Question that has being drilled into them by Adam, NO my wages haven't gone up!

WHF team please show this post as it's about time people named and shamed these companies that think everybody should be recession proof!

Regards

Angry small naim owner.
emotion-39.gif

I'd say that a 4-5% increase is very modest compared with what other companies are (going to be) doing, and probably won't cover the increased costs that Naim will face due to the woes of the pound against other currencies.

Utility companies reducing prices? Well mine is reducing them... at the end of March, when everyone turns their central heating off. And the reductions don't come close to the drops in the wholesale prices of oil and gas, or the massive price increases last year.

Banks? My bank has certainly reduced something: the interest rate of my savings account, from 5.65% to 0.75%.

Hi fi companies are well aware that they are a luxury, rather than an essential, and will try to strike an appropriate balance between profits and affordabilty. If you think Naim are ripping you off with a 5% increase, buy Marantz instead. Oh, no... hang on a minute, NAD. Er, no... um...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I have books at home that I bought in the 1970s that have 4 different printed prices on the back of the dustjacket. One for each quarter of the year they were published. Each price goes up about 5 percent on the previous one. So the expectation was that inflation would be well over 20 percent that year. (It probably was.)

A

Anonymous

meridian man:Name and shame!

If they had hiked their prices in a time of economic stability, with a strong pound and the only explanation was the CEO wanted to increase the margin........ then, my friend, we would name and shame....

..... however, under the present circumstances, the decision to make these increases must of been made with a heavy heart and have probably been kept as low as possible. This is about survival... of markets, brands and jobs. I am sorry to see the price increases but I do not think that naming will shame these brands.

A

Anonymous

meridian man:
Hi all,

Regards

Angry small naim owner.
emotion-39.gif

What?!?

Look around..... do you see people walking into jobs in a market that in which there are more jobs than people?

No?

That is because costs are going up and the employment and wage bills are having to be cut..... manufacturing output is falling and there is less money, in the population, to go and buy new equipment. This is but one factor in this complex problem, cash flow, liquidity and availability of credit, the strength of currency (ours is worth *..... meaning that you have to spent more to get the same..... ), increased costs both of operation and raw materials are more of the problems manufacturers face... and I still have not covered all the bases, because I have not even listed anything to do with the domestic retail markets........

Sorry? Did you think that Naim were a charity and should fund your love of their equipment? Or that you are forced to buy their products at this new, increased price?

Naim are probably fighting for their existence (like most luxury brands of a certain size) their plan over the next 12 months probably revolve around not losing too much money so that they can continue to produce the equipment that you love.

Your understanding is limited and your anger misplaced....... Naim probably faced the choice of increasing prices or going under.... appreciate that and stop complaining.

matthewpiano

No brand is there as a charity and customers have to accept that the price they pay is affected by all of the costs endemic in producing and distributing a product, including the issues of currency fluctuations. Every manufacturer and retailer is in business to make money and, whilst that isn't always possible, anyone who thinks a company should make a loss to fund their desires needs to re-educate themselves about the way in which a commercial enterprise operates within a capitalist society.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Meridianman

1) Heavens, you do seem to be on a webwide anti-Naim crusade right now, don't you?

2) Please moderate the language.

3) Banks aren't reducing their prices. A few months back my bank was offering loans at 6.5%. Now it's 9.6% - a 47% increase in interest rate.

4) If you have a problem with the moderation on another forum, discuss it there, not here.

5) Get real - some companies are putting up prices by 25% or more, so Naim's 5% seems very modest indeed. After all, the company does have to buy in components from elsewhere, so like everyone else is affected by the pound being on its knees at the moment.

The pound is worth almost half as many Yen, and about 25% less Dollars, compared to six month ago. And that's without considering the Euro rate. Live with it.

A

Anonymous

meridian man:Just looking at the naim forum and wanted to know am i not alone in thinking that the top brass and moderator's in this company are living on an alternative planet?
When the economy is in free fall and people are loosing job's left right and center, and people who are employed are forced to take a pay cut and reduced working hours.As most have said already.

Naim have a price increase in April every year, so it's no secret or surprise. Many other companies will just announce a price rise on the spot and you have 4 weeks to get your purchases in, so at least you know where you stand with Naim. And let's not forget that price rises are to cover costs and make profit, ensuring the long term stability of a company.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:

Meridianman

1) Heavens, you do seem to be on a web-wide anti-Naim crusade right now, don't you?

2) Please moderate the language.

3) Banks aren't reducing their prices. A few months back my bank was offering loans at 6.5%. Now it's 9.6% - a 47% increase in interest rate.

4) If you have a problem with the moderation on another forum, discuss it there, not here.

5) Get real - some companies are putting up prices by 25% or more, so Naim's 5% seems very modest indeed. After all, the company does have to buy in components from elsewhere, so like everyone else is affected by the pound being on its knees at the moment.

The pound is worth almost half as many Yen, and about 25% less Dollars, compared to six month ago. And that's without considering the Euro rate. Live with it.

1) Web-wide! one other site, wouldn't call that web-wide, is it in whf rules that you cant post on any other sites?

2) Moderate language, that's why i used ****.

3) Has your mortgage interest rate not being cut, and cut a number of times. Mine certainly has.

4) I have and he didn't like it.

5) 5% of naims cdx2 £3150 = £157.50 and that on top of the 4/5% of last year, the year before etc,etc. In 2002 cdx2 was £2650 nine years from then it will be £3307.50. And no my wages didn't go up a fraction of that. When was the last time you checked the exchange rate, the pound was at a low for a couple of weeks it is as strong now as it has being. When was the last time bowers & wilkinson put up there price's? and when they did they upgraded their existing products naim don't.

Seem there are a lot of wolfs in sheep's clothing here. Some of the other replies do not make sense (they must of being drinking) and some others are just..........

I probably come across as anti naim but im not, i love their product's, i will probably buy a cdx2 but it will have to be EX-dem due to cost.

A

Anonymous

meridian man:
Hi all,

Regards

Angry small naim owner.
emotion-39.gif

I totally agree - planet stuid!
We are facing deflation soon, prices will soon be going down not up!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
meridian man:1) Web-wide! one other site, wouldn't call that web-wide, is it in whf rules that you cant post on any other sites?

Not at all. Knock y'self out.

meridian man:2) Moderate language, that's why i used ****.

No, our filters did.

meridian man:3) Has your mortgage interest rate not being cut, and cut a number of times. Mine certainly has.

Yes, thank you.

meridian man:4) I have and he didn't like it.

As I said, that's something for you to take up there, not here

meridian man:5) ... When was the last time you checked the exchange rate,
the pound was at a low for a couple of weeks it is as strong now as it
has being.

Oh really? So we can re-employ all those workers who've been laid off at a stroke, and the worldwide economy is sorted? Get real - we check exchange rates all the time, and they are significantly down on this time last year. Or at least they are here in the real world.

meridian man:5) Seem there are a lot of wolfs in sheep's clothing here. Some of the
other replies do not make sense (they must of being drinking) and some
others are just..........

Not too sure what you're insinuating, but please do not attack other users.

And honestly, if you have a problem with Naim's pricing, don't buy the products. It's as simple as that.

EDIT: Just saw your edit of the post quoted above. Not sure how anyone could contemplate buying a product from a company they clearly feel is as avaricious as you seem to think Naim is...

A

Anonymous

I think it's a total disgrace these audio companies don't work at cost, everything sounds the same anyway, I can buy whatever I want second hand and on Ebay, who needs these manufactures anyway, the ordasity of them to put prices up, I think I should decide what they should charge, not them!!

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:

meridian man:1) Web-wide! one other site, wouldn't call that web-wide, is it in whf rules that you cant post on any other sites?

Not at all. Knock y'self out.

meridian man:2) Moderate language, that's why i used ****.

No, our filters did.

meridian man:3) Has your mortgage interest rate not being cut, and cut a number of times. Mine certainly has.

Yes, thank you.

meridian man:4) I have and he didn't like it.

As I said, that's something for you to take up there, not here

meridian man:5) ... When was the last time you checked the exchange rate, the pound was at a low for a couple of weeks it is as strong now as it has being.

Oh really? So we can re-employ all those workers who've been laid off at a stroke, and the worldwide economy is sorted? Get real - we check exchange rates all the time, and they are significantly down on this time last year. Or at least they are here in the real world.

meridian man:5) Seem there are a lot of wolfs in sheep's clothing here. Some of the other replies do not make sense (they must of being drinking) and some others are just..........

Not too sure what you're insinuating, but please do not attack other users.

And honestly, if you have a problem with Naim's pricing, don't buy the products. It's as simple as that.

EDIT: Just saw your edit of the post quoted above. Not sure how anyone could contemplate buying a product from a company they clearly feel is as avaricious as you seem to think Naim is...

2) I think you would want to check your filters to see if they are working, Honestly. I don't put swear word's on screen as it can lead to a ban that's why i used ***

4) You asked if i had a problem with the other mod's.

5) Im not attacking others just responding to what also could be seen as a personal attack.

Just because i like their products dosent mean i have to like their way of doing business.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Meridian Man, I really don't think you understand what's happening to the economy at all. Naim are having to increase prices to avoid losing money, and I suspect that by doing so, sales will be hit further and they will end up losing money anyway.

It really isn't a good time for business, hence unemployment going up, banks screwed, no loans available, weak pound etc etc etc. Many hifi companies will go out of business during the next few months I suspect.

I'm not even a Naim fan, but they really have no choice. I suggest that if you don't understand basic economics, then you don't make posts that demonstrate this.

ÿ

A

Anonymous

meridian man:

Seem there are a lot of wolfs in sheep's clothing here. Some of the other replies do not make sense (they must of being drinking) and some others are just..........

Okay.... well there is a potential for me to be included in that statement. So let me reassure you that I do not drink.... and although my explanation of world economic factors which affect a manufacturing company in the UK was, at best, clunky, it did get the point across. In any given good economic year a company can expect something across the board to change and put pressure on their operating costs and margin. So inflation would be one an increase in the price of oil is another, or metals.... etc. What I was trying to get across to you is that it is not just one thing in one market. I shall not launch into it all again.... but if the strength of the pound falls, combined with increased cost of production of raw marerials (metals from China say) then that is a double whammy. Even that is a simplification.... because you have to factor in all the other raw materials.... and then the banking situation, which makes borrowing hard and more expensive... meaning that many companies are facing liquidity and cash flow problems.... and then you income is vastly reduced because not as many people can buy your product.... meaning you have to cover MORE costs with LESS income?????

The CEO of any company would of found it hard to increase their prices this year, because it is a strategy which was necessary but risky......... Henry Ford quote:

"There is one rule for the industrialist and that is: Make the best
quality of goods possible at the lowest cost possible, paying the
highest wage possible."

That is closer to the truth than the money grabbing picture you paint..............

Finally..... please go and read this thread:
CA prices up significantly, DacMagic at 249
It is a little off topic....... but in it Cambridge Audio CEO talks about some of the decisions and pressures that have been faced at Cambridge Audio..... and why they have been forced to increase their prices (and he is better at it that me). Although this is not from Naim's mouth I am sure that they have been struggling with similar problems..... and that you will be able to appreciate that the guys at Naim could of justified a much larger increase.

A

Anonymous

meridian man:
Hi all,

Regards

Angry small naim owner.
emotion-39.gif

Meridian man, you should think yourself fortunate that in times like these you are still able to go out and buy luxuries, i.e. things you WANT as well as things you NEED.

Many, many people are not so fortunate and are restricted to buying necessities only.

You yourself state that the economy is in freefall, people are losing their jobs left, right and centre and that those who are still employed are being forced to take a pay cut and reduced working hours.

Why do you think this is?

We are no longer an isolated island and manufacturers are now trading around the world. If prices for raw materials and utilities go up due to exchange rates then they have several options.

They could bear the cost increases themselves and risk going out of business which would put even more people out of work. This, in turn, would mean that even fewer people would have money to spend which, in turn, may put other companies at risk and the cycle would continue.

This appears to be the solution you are advocating in your original post.

Alternatively, they could pass on the FULL cost increases to the consumer which is likely to take many products outside the affordability of many consumers. This is likely to result in demand for those products falling even further, again putting the viability of the company at risk, resulting in more job losses, pay cuts, reduced working hours or the company closing altogether. This, in turn, would mean that even fewer people would have money to spend.etc.

They could however try and strike a happy(ish) medium. They could increase prices to partly offset cost increases and absorb some of the costs themselves. This would make their products more expensive but not as much as in the above option and hopefully demand would remain high enough to keep them ticking over through this difficult period whilst retaining as many employees as possible.

This is what I believe most companies are trying to do, and at 4-5% it certainly seems what Naim are trying to do.

In answer to your comments regarding the reduction in your mortgage interest rate, who is helping to fund that? Savers are! Those people who have been careful or those people who have saved and are now pensioners have seen interest rates tumble on savings to meaningless amounts. Who is subsidising who here?

I have neither the time, and this is not really the forum, to get into the workings of world economics but I hope this simplified post may make you think about it a little.

I will end where I started - Think yourself lucky that you can still consider buying luxury goods as many people are making decisions about whether they can put their heating on or not.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
silly:I think it's a total disgrace these audio companies don't work at cost, everything sounds the same anyway, I can buy whatever I want second hand and on Ebay, who needs these manufactures anyway, the ordasity of them to put prices up, I think I should decide what they should charge, not them!!Manufacturers work at cost? That's really asking for trouble. Banks should be working at cost, not giving staff and management huge bonuses when all they should be doing is looking after our money.

As for everything sounding the same, try comparing a Quad system against a Cyrus one. If you can't hear a difference you need your ears cleaned.

So you can get everything off Ebay? Who do you think is selling all this hi-fi on Ebay? And if there were no manufacturers, what are we going to sell on Ebay?

If the consumer decided what products should be priced at, there really would be no manufacturers left. And because the pricing would be so cheap, they'd be pieces of junk because they've been made so cheaply to fit in with the average Joe's idea of what a decent price is.

I think you need to think through your posts a little better. Unles you're just here for a wind up. You have the right name though.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:
silly:I think it's a total disgrace these audio companies don't work at cost, everything sounds the same anyway, I can buy whatever I want second hand and on Ebay, who needs these manufactures anyway, the ordasity of them to put prices up, I think I should decide what they should charge, not them!!Manufacturers work at cost? That's really asking for trouble. Banks should be working at cost, not giving staff and management huge bonuses when all they should be doing is looking after our money.

As for everything sounding the same, try comparing a Quad system against a Cyrus one. If you can't hear a difference you need your ears cleaned.

So you can get everything off Ebay? Who do you think is selling all this hi-fi on Ebay? And if there were no manufacturers, what are we going to sell on Ebay?

If the consumer decided what products should be priced at, there really would be no manufacturers left. And because the pricing would be so cheap, they'd be pieces of junk because they've been made so cheaply to fit in with the average Joe's idea of what a decent price is.

I think you need to think through your posts a little better. Unles you're just here for a wind up. You have the right name though.

I think that 'Silly' was aiming for internet laconic irony.... admittedly without the requisite facial and vocal intonations it can all get a little lost..... but I would not judge him too harshly
emotion-1.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts