April issue

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
It certainly is the April issue next - out next Thursday (or sooner if you subscribe).

And it's a corker. Highlights include:

Free 36-page HD guide- overview of where we are now with high-def,from Blu-ray to broadcasts. Includes reviews of the latest BD players from Samsung, Panasonic and Sony, plus our pick of the existing crop - plus some suggested HD systems, including connection advice.

In the main mag, our packed First Tests section includes exclusive reviews of:
  • Arcam Solo Mini
  • Onkyo's LS-V01 2.1 home cinema system,
  • New crop of stereo speakers - Tannoy Revolution Signature; PMC GB1i, Spendor SP100R and more
  • Dali Motif speaker package
  • Pioneer DV-LX50 DVD player
  • Rega Brio stereo amplifier
  • The intriguing new Q Acoustics AV soundbar/surround package... And much more!
Group and Supertests include:
  • 37-40in TVs
  • Mid-priced stereo amplifiers (Naim 5i vs Cyrus 8vs2, Cambridge Audio 840A V2 and Audio Analogue Verdi Settanta)
  • Projectors - Award-winning InFocus 82 vs new rivals
  • £200-£300 Stereo speakers - Award-winning Monitor Audio Bronze BR2s vs new B&W 686s and four other new contenders (floorstanders and standmount).
And that's just for starters!

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Clare Newsome"]
[*]Mid-priced stereo amplifiers (Naim 5i vs Cyrus 8vs2, Cambridge Audio 840A V2 and Audio Analogue Verdi Settanta)
[/quote]

That should be close!
emotion-21.gif

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Indeed - one of our favourite tests in recent times. Lots and lots of listening, tons of discussions and plenty of admiration for just how good a sound you can get from a sub-£1000 amp these days!

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
[quote user="Thaiman"]That should be close!
emotion-21.gif
[/quote]

[/quote]

If you must Mr. E....

Cyrus 8vs2, whf&v favourate son, is odd on favourate at 5-4.

Cambridge Audio 840A was a big hit and mk2 should be even better however would it hit editor's hot spot so 3-2 on seem fair!

Naim seem to have a bit of a difficulty to get a full 5 stars reviews with this mag as they are not an all rounder so 2-1 is the odds and should be a poppular bet here.

As for Audio Analogue Verdi Settanta, it certainly has a build quality on it side although remote control might lost AA a point or two! Toroidal transformer could wave some magic but realisticly this is an outsider at 3-1.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Thaiman"]

If you must Mr. E....

Cyrus 8vs2, whf&v favourate son, is odd on favourate at 5-4.

Cambridge Audio 840A was a big hit and mk2 should be even better however would it hit editor's hot spot so 3-2 on seem fair!

Naim seem to have a bit of a difficulty to get a full 5 stars reviews with this mag as they are not an all rounder so 2-1 is the odds and should be a poppular bet here.

As for Audio Analogue Verdi Settanta, it certainly has a build quality on it side although remote control might lost AA a point or two! Toroidal transformer could wave some magic but realisticly this is an outsider at 3-1.
[/quote]

Hmm, interesting analysis...

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
I will read the Motif review with interest. My experience with them at Bristol was not exactly electrifying. I do wonder if I was somewhat over spoilt at Bristol, so held unrealistic expectations for these speakers?

Which sub are you going to use? Is there a deciated sub for this package?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="PJPro"]

Which sub are you going to use? Is there a deciated sub for this package?[/quote]

There's a Motif sub planned for later this year. For the test, we used the Ikon subwoofer (£550) from Dali's Award-winning Ikon 6 5.1 package.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="PJPro"]Which sub are you going to use? Is there a deciated sub for this package?[/quote]

Dedicate sub should be out in summer!
I really love to hear the LCR, shame I couldn't made it to the show. I am off to Heathrow show though so hope to see them there.

david_tring

Jan 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi Claire - I wonder if April includes a review of the Samsung BD-P1400 Blu-Ray player? Quite a few people on the Forums have them but I don't think you've ever covered it?

Now that the stupid format war is over, I want to buy a Blu-Ray player - the BDP-LX70A is still my number 1 favourite but I'm looking forward to the magazine arriving next week to see what alternatives there are.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Yes, the April HD supplement does include a review of the Samsung BD-P1400. And the Panasonic BD30. And the Pioneer you mention. Among others...

david_tring

Jan 20, 2008
Visit site
Yes, the April HD supplement does include a review of the Samsung BD-P1400. And the Panasonic BD30. And the Pioneer you mention. Among others...

[/quote]

That's wonderful, you're including everything I wanted to see! But now I have to wait how many days/hours/minutes/seconds until it arrives through my letterbox.......? (Men don't do "waiting").

cstanwhf

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site

Free 36-page HD guide- overview of where we are now with high-def,from Blu-ray to broadcasts. Includes reviews of the latest BD players from Samsung, Panasonic and Sony, plus our pick of the existing crop - plus some suggested HD systems, including connection advice.[/quote]

Bought the April issue 3 days ago. But it did not come with the HD guide supplement.

I'm from Singapore. I noticed that supplements don't get shipped here very often. Only once in a while. Subscribing compared to buying off the shelf to ex for me.
emotion-6.gif

A

Anonymous

I myself was extremely hungry for the april HD supplement and guess what, it also didn't come with my magazine. This was in Belgium and for 8.50 euro I'm disappointed to say the least.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Yes, UK only i'm afraid. However, if people missing their supplement hit the Contact Us link below and drop us an email with their address, as a goodwill gesture we can send out a couple on a first come, first served basis.

A

Anonymous

Yes, UK only i'm afraid. However, if people missing their supplement hit the Contact Us link below and drop us an email with their address, as a goodwill gesture we can send out a couple on a first come, first served basis.

[/quote]

That would be very generous and much appreciated!

A

Anonymous

Hello,
I picked up the April issue rather late but I've noticed that you're lisiting the Samsung PS50P96FD in the LCD tv section when it's a Plasma screen! !

I know I'm sad/anal to moan about these thing but sheesh!

A

Anonymous

While we're on the subject of mistakes (I think) in the mag, in the HD supplement it says,

"It [the Xbox 360] doesn't come with a HDMI conenction as standard: for that, you'll need the more expensive Elite version."

I was my understanding that the Premium, £270 version, has been shipped with a HDMI port for quite a while now.

A

Anonymous

Our Buyer's Guide editor is new - forgive him (i'll bring this to his attention. Sharply...)

[/quote]

Aha! A few lashes with the motivational whip then. nice.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I think Clare covered this elsewhere, but we were let down by the non-arrival of some review samples at a late stage. Test will now be in the June issue - apologies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts