April issue

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Big Aura:A question on the April issue unrelated to the foregoing: In your mid-price speaker test, you say that you get the best results with the B&W 685s if you place them a bit in front of a wall, as otherwise they can sound a tad boomy. Why so?

Placing most speakers close to a wall, especially if they have rear ports on them, tends to reinforce the bass. And in some cases, as with the B&Ws, put them too close to the wall and the bass can start to sound boomy. Pull them away from the wall, and problem solved.

Incidentally, some manufacturers supply their speakers with foam bungs to go in the rear ports, so if they have to be placed close to a wall you can tune, or dampen, the bass by inserting the bungs. Or a pair of socks.

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Andy Clough:
Incidentally, some manufacturers supply their speakers with foam bungs to go in the rear ports, so if they have to be placed close to a wall you can tune, or dampen, the bass by inserting the bungs. Or a pair of socks.

Mmmm - didn't realise you could tune, or dampen, a pair of socks with those bungs...those Paisley pattern ones are way too loud dont ya think?

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Just want to add one little minor correction to the April issue as well I noticed today - in the Sound Advice section under MP3, you mention using RAID 1 and RAID 5 as a backup. This is dangerous to suggest as people might therefore think, since their system is in a RAID array, they don't need to backup. This isn't true, RAID should purely be thought of as redundancy (hence the name Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks) so if one disk fails, you can still carry on working and that disk can be replaced without any downtime.

The main reason that you should not think of using RAID as a backup is very simple - changes are instant. If you delete a file accidentally, it is immediately deleted from the other disks in the RAID array. If you make a change to a file and save it, then realise you didn't want that change, you can't go back to the old version on the RAID array. If a file gets corrupted on one disk (through a software error for example), it is immediately corrupted in the other disk etc. etc.

A proper backup would, in the main, allow you to fix all of those issues and for that reason, even if you do use RAID to minimise the inconvenience of a disk error, you should always still backup your system independently of this.

Just thought it was worth mentioning
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

I was very disappointed with the Active Speaker round-up since, as far as I can tell, none of the speakers on display were true active speakers, but were instead powered speakers. I appreciate that the marketing people have tried to confuse these terms but does What Hifi have to do the same? The part at the end which listed the advantages of active speakers was frankly bizarre. Why list active crossovers as an advantage when none of the speakers included active crossovers?

In all, I found the article to be completely confused about the difference between actives and passives, and the advantages of the active design.

Oh, and I agree with professorhat RAID is an availability solution, not a backup solution

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts