April issue

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Got mine today also. Nice surprise as I wasn`t expecting it until next week sometime.

I`d been looking forward to the headphone amplifier group test and after reading it I`m now in three minds whereas before I was only in two!

Nice issue by the way.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Although, I have to say, I prefer the supplements when they are a separate booklet. There's just something about these ones which are glued into the middle of the mag which I dislike - makes the reading experience unnecessarily unwieldy.

A

Anonymous

I've just had a look at the small active speakers review and noticed the A2's were on the Cygnett-Unisons review section and vice versa...no big deal but anyway the Samson 3i 's looked good so I checked WHF's web review to confirm the dimensions and noticed they were down as not being able to charge the ipod...hmmmm

My point is lots of stuff I've checked out in the mag before had errors in the specs/ data sections, I still enjoy reading the mag but I've started to take the detail with a pinch of salt.

Clare Newsome:We have had problems with our spec database/inputting, it has to be said - no excuses, we'll get it sorted.

I had a quick nose thru it over the weekend and I noticed that some of the Arcam stuff is missing from the guide. Is there any tangible reason for this?

A

Anonymous

Have filled in the 2009 Reader Survey (fingers crossed!) some fantastic prizes!!

With regards to the PMC / Leema prize, picture in the magazine shows a Leema Stream CD Player and a Moon Amplifier. Is this a mistake?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Yep, the wrong pics were used at repro. People responsible flogged mercilessly as a result. Prizes, to confirm, are the Leemas. Moon review in the issue, however....

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Mr X:With regards to the PMC / Leema prize, picture in the magazine shows a Leema Stream CD Player and a Moon Amplifier. Is this a mistake?

Yes, apologies for that - prize is a Leema Stream CD player and Pulse amplifier, plus the PMC FB1i speakers

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Well i'm not! I'm talking about the discontinued Arcam Diva hi-fi products that have now gone from the Buyer's Guide.

We've got the new FMJ products we've tested so far in there, along with Solos of every variety (stereo, mini, 2.1 and 5.1) and the r-Dock.

Three Arcam DVD players remain, plus two AV receivers and the AV9 processor, too.

Clare Newsome:Well i'm not! I'm talking about the discontinued Arcam Diva hi-fi products that have now gone from the Buyer's Guide.

We've got the new FMJ products we've tested so far in there, along with Solos of every variety (stereo, mini, 2.1 and 5.1) and the r-Dock.

Three Arcam DVD players remain, plus two AV receivers and the AV9 processor, too.

I stand corrected, Clare - FMJ CD17, however, seems to have gone walkabouts.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Plus fresh review of the Arcam FMJ CD17 on p54 of that very issue
emotion-2.gif
That should be in BG next month (BG is always a month behind main mag).

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
In the upscaling feature two different prices are given for the BD55 (pages 59 and 61). I actually excitedly googled to try and find one at £220.

Yeah OK, I'm being picky.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
A question on the April issue unrelated to the foregoing: In your mid-price speaker test, you say that you get the best results with the B&W 685s if you place them a bit in front of a wall, as otherwise they can sound a tad boomy. Why so?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
It's become a publishing tradition - even happens with the weeklies, which have the following week's date on them. Guess one mag started it and then everyone followed in the name of appearing the freshest thing on the shelf.

Ours end up REALLY screwy cos of having 13 issues a year, mind.
emotion-7.gif

A

Anonymous

My grandma taught me to set my alarm clock ten minutes fast. Though I don't know why I couldn't just set the alarm to go off ten minutes earlier.

Jonathan Evans

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
The clocks in my kitchen and car are set a few minutes fast deliberately.

I'm not sure of the psychology, but it is certainly more effective at getting me and the kids out of the house in the morning than my internal "must leave five minutes early" prompting. That fails almost every time.

So maybe your grandma was on to something, Octopo...

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
IIRC, the logic goes something like this:

You put out the magazine early in March, with a March cover date. Few weeks later - and by now we're into April, just before the next one is due -, Joe Public alights from the Clapham omnibus, and goes into his local newsagent to peruse the latest periodicals.

"Aha!' quoth he, "There's my favourite magazine!" After leafing through Railway Modeller for a while, he puts it back on the shelf with a sigh, and spots What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision.

But it says March on the cover, so he leaves it, thinking it's an old one.

However...

Put it out in March with an April date on it, and not only do newsagent browsers pick it up in March, as it's "next month's", but you also get sales at the end of the sales period, as it still has the current month on the cover.

As the meerkat would have it, 'simples'.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts