Apple TV2 as a source via DAC to amp

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Would this be feasible say via an MF VDAC Mk 2 to a decent amp and speakers?

I've already got an ATV2 so wanted to see if it'd work as a source with a decent DAC in between it and an amp or am I better sticking to the likes of a Marantz NA7004?

Cheers

Juzzie Wuzzie

Must admit - it is an interesting question - one I've been pondering. In short, buying an Airplay enabled receiver v. a £99 ATV2 suitably connected. Specifically, I've been thinking about an ATV into a Naim 5i (via Dac if ATV2 rather than ATV1) or ATV straight into a SuperUniti or waiting for Naim to Airplay enable their equipment and do away with the ATV. The last scenario has the disadvantage of eliminating the tv / movies side of things which I quite enjoy.

What about picking up a second hand ATV1 and put straight into the amp, or see if you can borrow an Airport Express and do the same as a test run?

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Nad_fanatic said:
Would this be feasible say via an MF VDAC Mk 2 to a decent amp and speakers?

I've already got an ATV2 so wanted to see if it'd work as a source with a decent DAC in between it and an amp or am I better sticking to the likes of a Marantz NA7004?

Cheers

When I'm not playing vinyl, ATV2 into my DAC via optical is my main source of digital music. And as I make continued steady progress on ripping my 3,000 CDs to my Mac, the Arcam CDP is evermore redundant.

T

the record spot

Maybe wait till the ATV3 is due out. I know you have the 2, but the 3 might be the product the ATV2 ought to have been. If that makes sense!

Juzzie Wuzzie

Definitely wait until Wednesday to see what the ATV3 holds - but I don't think it is going to change connectivity - i.e. a DAC would still be required. Speaking of which, is there any reason a DAC doesn't accept an HDMI cable, and take the audio signal for processing (i.e. if the ATV3 abandoned any audio connections, and was HDMI only)?

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the thoughts...

I was thinking of the AirPort Express but it doesn't have a digital out so a bit dubious re sound quality...

Paso do you think tha the ATV2 could be a good source with iTunes via AirPlay etc...?

A

Anonymous

You're right; just seen this on the Apple website

Problem is that I don't have a spare plug socket near to where the amp will be; it's an extended mains cable to a small block and then this is hidden behind/underneath the AV unit!

The closest mains socket is about 4 ft away from the amp. It'd have to be a DAC in between with a 2.5 ft optical cable and a 2ft interconnect; would this cause issues with sound quality?

Paul.

I can't tell the difference between an ATV or an Airport express, so personally I would stick to it if you have one. My local Audio T offered to loan me an Rdac once, but I declined and went the AV route instead. Could you borrow a Dac from a local store and try out your ATV before you commit to anything?

A

Anonymous

Paul Hobbs said:
I can't tell the difference between an ATV or an Airport express, so personally I would stick to it if you have one. My local Audio T offered to loan me an Rdac once, but I declined and went the AV route instead. Could you borrow a Dac from a local store and try out your ATV before you commit to anything?

Hi Paul

Cant see there being a massive difference between an ATV2 and AirPort Express either...

In the process of buying an amp so unfortunately cant do a lot until I've sorted that... Will hopefully have sorted that this week.

Need to make sure I go for the right amp though as I think I may be going for a set of KEF R100's!

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
I also have an Apple TV2, and it sounds great through my Arcam A85 and MA RS6s.

With a 'proper' DAC I imagine it'd be a top-notch source. As it is, I have mine connected to my TV via HDMI, then have the TVs analogue output into my amp. The sound quality is only a teeny bit poorer than my Arcam CD192. Even then I might be imagining it in the hope that my CD player wasn't a waste of money :)

A lot is made out of the fact that the ATV isn't bit-perfect (the AE is) but I'd challenge anyone to notice any difference.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that; it's definitely food for thought!

Id rather have the ATV2 into a DAC then into the amp rather than going via the TV to be honest but it's still an option...

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I have an ATV2 hooked up to a Musical Fidelity Vdac, to an all Linn set up. Superb sound, it's completely legitimate to use it as a source, so much do that I rarely use my cd player any more. The ease of use, controlling it from a computer, iPad/iPhone is of course an additional bonus.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Juzzie Wuzzie said:
or ATV straight into a SuperUniti or waiting for Naim to Airplay enable their equipment and do away with the ATV

Or, of course, you could not bother with waiting for Naim to go AirPlay, and just use iMediaShare, which is free, on an iOS or Android device to play straight from that device to the SuperUniti (or indeed many a UPnP/DLNA player).

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
I'm sure going through a DAC would give you better results, I'm just putting it through the TV as I don't have a standalone DAC at the mo.

Incidentally, the update is live, sorry if that's old news, but the same software as on the new ATV3 is available. Obviously no 1080p, but since I mainly use mine for music it's no big loss to me.

dogspangle

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
I have an Apple TV2 connected to a Denon AVR 1910 via HDMI. I'm really impressed with sound and picture quality from such a small device. I'm also hoping to get a new dac, amp and speakers this year, and I will continue to use the ATV2 as a source, until I can afford a dedicated streamer.

I'd be interested to hear how to get on running it through a decent dac.

A

Anonymous

Hopefully I'll be able to demo my ATV2 with an Arcam rDAC very soon so I'll report back.

Currently got it connected to my Cyrus amp via a CYP DAC from Amazon (£30 I think it cost) with some Chord CrimsonPlus interconnects and it sounds very good already.

Be inserting to see how a dedicated DAC makes it sound although it didn't fair too well with an MF VDAC this week

dogspangle

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
Nad_fanatic

Sorry to go slightly off track, but I just picked up on the other DAC you mentioned. I’m looking into streaming to my Denon D-M38, from an AirPort Express, via a CYP AUD3 DAC.

Is it a worthy purchase for £30-£40?

Cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts