Apple tv

Dean Morris

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Why is everyone not buying this rather than dac machines?

£100 buys you the unit which does so much. Anything off your iTunes you can listen to, have your iPhoto library on the tv, watch YouTube off it, rent films etc

I was looking at the arcam dac but then you have to buy the 2x dongle to use it wirelessly so you are looking at £470!

This is cheap? £100 for the apple tv?

T

the record spot

bigboss said:
But Apple TV is not a DAC machine & has a very different use as compared to the Arcam DAC. How do you intend to listen to music from your HiFi speakers using Apple TV?

Streams iTunes through Home Sharing BB. Or via iPod, Touch, etc. Very nifty unit for the money.

daveh75

the record spot said:
bigboss said:
But Apple TV is not a DAC machine & has a very different use as compared to the Arcam DAC. How do you intend to listen to music from your HiFi speakers using Apple TV?

Streams iTunes through Home Sharing BB. Or via iPod, Touch, etc. Very nifty unit for the money.

No analogue output, so not much use to those without a DAC/amp with digital input...

mcjwalters

Apr 19, 2008
Visit site
You have answered your own question really by using the term streaming as that what it does. It is quite clearly made to compliment the other apple devices and it's closed off operating platform and is not a DAC.

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Intrigued by WTV box,i guess this could be run through a DAC, what would the SQ be like, Would I be correct in assuming I would get better Spotify SQ with a Squeezebox Touch going through the same DAC or make no difference as the DAC is doing the work ?

Does that make sense, still trying to get mt head round some of this new stuff.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

You'll need to add a dac to the apple tv in order to use it with your existing hi-fi system, as it has no analogue outputs. Something like a fiio or behringer dac ( about £30 from amazon ) would do the job nicely. Optical out from the ATV into the dac, phono leads from the dac to your amp.

Dean Morris

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
faiz0 said:
You'll need to add a dac to the apple tv in order to use it with your existing hi-fi system, as it has no analogue outputs. Something like a fiio or behringer dac ( about £30 from amazon ) would do the job nicely. Optical out from the ATV into the dac, phono leads from the dac to your amp.

Can you send a couple of links? The ones I have seen use USB? Is that to power or just to use if you can use your computer. Obviously I know it's a dac so i will have USB but how are they powered?

My friend has his apple tv connected via hdmi into the tv which then goes into the amp.

Which will be the best option for sound quality?

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
Dean Morris said:
[/quote

My friend has his apple tv connected via hdmi into the tv which then goes into the amp.

Which will be the best option for sound quality?

I think you friend's setup must be using the DAC built into the television, which will, most likely, be pretty basic.

What I do is connect the ATV3 to the TV by HDMI for TV duties. For HiFi audio I take an optical out from the ATV to an Arcam rDAC which is then connected to my amp with conventional interconnects.

Unfortunately this is not working well; the optical out signal suffers from a lot of dropout. I am in contact with Apple about this and I know I'm not the only one.

There is a workaround if the TV has an optical output. ATV connected to TV by HDMI, TV connected to DAC by optical, DAC connected to amplifier by analogue interconnects. The only problem with this is that you have to have the TV on if you want to listen to music.

Dean Morris

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
If you have an optical out on the amp can you send that to the atv then hdmi for picture?

Or if you have an av receiver with hdmi could you connect the atv just to to hdmi on the amp?

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
Dean Morris said:
If you have an optical out on the amp can you send that to the atv then hdmi for picture?

Or if you have an av receiver with hdmi could you connect the atv just to to hdmi on the amp?

The ATV does not have an optical in. It is Ethernet or Wireless in. Optical and HDMI out. So "no" to your first question. Not quite sure what an optical out from an amp would be for anyway.

"Yes", to your second question. If your amp is an AV receiver with HDMI input, you can do it that way.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

Either the behringer 202 or fiio d3 will be fine for your set up. The fiio in particular is very good.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts