Apple TV, Is it worth getting?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm thinking about getting the 160gb Apple TV box, my only worry is the PQ when displayed on a 37inch or bigger LCD tv, is anyone running this bit of kit? would appreciate any comments before I hand over my hard earned cash.

Thanks 

Messiah

My only experience with it was in an Apple shop. It was going through a demo of the system and it was displayed on a Pioneer LCD that must have been at least 37". It looked superb!

A

Anonymous

Thanks Messiah, do you know whether is was running HD or SD? will have a trip to Apple Store on Regent Street tomorrow, and have a look, but things always look different when using day to day than in store.ÿ

A

Anonymous

Just read review, seems cut and dry, looks like I'm making room for Apple TV, move over Bluray.

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
I forget where I saw it exactly, but there's a US website with a very detailed analysis comparing blu-ray, cable TV and Apple TV. ÿThe Apple TV wasn't quite as sharp as blu-ray, but held up very well. ÿThere were loads of images to show the exact PQ of each source. ÿThe review in WHF seems to have come to the same conclusions. I'm sure you'll find the test if you search on Google.

cram

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
If you buy into the whole Itunes thing then the Apple TV isn't bad - certainly very easy to use. In my opinion does have a few negatives.

- The Itunes store is an expensive way of buying video content. DVDs are frequently cheaper. Bluray rentals are cetainly cheaper elsewhere

- Max of 720p. I think this is a hardware restriction. I think also that the max bit rate supported is also significantly down on what you would get with a bluray.

- The HD content - you don't get HD sound. In fact some of the rentals don't even have Dolby Digital 5.1

- Playback of limited formats. If you want to put your own DVDs etc on to the unit then you will need to encode them in an Apple friendly format

- 160Gb, really isn't a lot of storage space for video content. If you think that a lossless rip of DVD is circa 6Gb and a lossless rip of a Bluray is circa 40Gb then the only way you are going to fit much in the way of content on there is by sacrficing some quality

If I had to choose between purchasing a Bluray player and an Apple TV then the bluray player wins everytime

John Duncan

Oh totally, but it's a tidy solution. And pretty (which is important to me, as you know
emotion-2.gif
)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts