Apple TV DAC question

stonehound

May 2, 2008
Visit site
I currently have the ATV connected to my Denon amp using a HDMI cable and an optical cable. If I introduced a DAC to improve the sound quality of my music, would the sound for films (currently 5.1 using the optical connection) also be limited to analog as the sound would be coming through the DAC as analog?

I'm not fully versed on DACs so would appreciate any help!

Cheers.

John Duncan

You've already introduced a DAC by plugging it into your Denon (though how good it might be compared to a standalone 200 quid one is another matter - the one in my Yamaha is very good for example). better to spend your money on a dedicated stereo amp for music, provided your Denon has pre-outs to take advantage of it.

axman

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site
I don't know how the Denon amp works, but on my yamaha, I can choose the source.

So, if I am watching a movie on Apple TV2, the source for both sound and video is the HDMI input 2. (why are you not using HDMI as your audio source as well?)

If I want to listen to music only from my itunes, I choose source AV5, where I have connected the optical cable from the Apple TV2.

So if I were to introduce a DAC, it would be connected to my yamaha via RCA cables to AV4 for example. So when I choose AV4, I can listen to the DAC, and if I choose HDMI input 2, I still get the full HD sound when watchin movies.

JohnDuncan - if the Yamaha onboard DAC is very good, how much money should I spend on a DAC to make it a worthwhile upgrade? I have the 2065 btw.

Or are you saying that I should spend the money instead on a stereo amp?

stonehound

May 2, 2008
Visit site
Thanks axman, what you say about switching AV inputs for movies/music makes sense.

Out of interest, why do you use HMDI for movie audio and optical for music audio? Couldn't you just use either one of these cables for adio for both movies/music?

axman

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site
stonehound:

Thanks axman, what you say about switching AV inputs for movies/music makes sense.

Out of interest, why do you use HMDI for movie audio and optical for music audio? Couldn't you just use either one of these cables for adio for both movies/music?

Good question. I was just trying a few things out, but mainly because of my Harmony one remote and the settings on my yamaha. I can pre-programme my yamaha to process the audio based on which source is chosen:

HDMI 2 input will also make my Yamaha process the audio as 5.1.

Choosing AV5 as input will make my yamaha not process the audio (yamaha calls it "pure direct") and leave it in pure stereo mode.

I realize later that I could have programmed my Harmony to add the "pure direct" command when I choose to listen to music only (besides not switching the TV on as well). But I could not be bothered now to reach around the back of the cabinet to unplug the optical cable! In any case, once I decide on a DAC, I will need to rewire anyway...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts