apple need sorting

Dave2860

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Ive got a 16GB iPhone 4, I paid for a 16GB iphone 4, What i actually have is a 13GB iPhone 4.

If apple market and advertise a product to have 16GB shouldn't it have 16? not 13? i mean thats 3GB's which is quite abit, thought i would post as this is a serious problem, they should have seperate ram or something so i can have 16Gb of music, or films or apps or whatever i want...

really annoyed me ... |(

iOS 5 occupies some of that space. Also, the hard drive manufacturers have a different definition of "1GB" than computer scientists (1000MB as opposed to 1024MB). This is a known discrepancy in all memory based products, not just Apple.

http://blogannath.blogspot.co.uk/2010/09/why-are-hard-disk-sizes-always-less.html

Check this official statement from Apple:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2419

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Yes, this does seem to be one of those things that has just become accepted practice for some reason. Like broadband providers giving you "unlimited" downloads, which are in fact, limited.

A

Anonymous

This is an serious matter, but i think you have to contact the apple care for your problem.Sometime it may be happen in some handsets.You can also direct mail to the apple care for your assistance.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
There’s nothing misleading.
The phone is equipped with 16GB memory chips as stated, and quite naturally it needs a proportion of its onboard memory to actually run. The rest is free for you to use.
I remember the days of 16K ZX Spectrums and Commodore 64s where only a fraction of that RAM was available, because the OS used part of it and the screen display used part of it.
Even on modern computers with 1TB drives, you don’t actually have 1TB free when you buy the computer: the OS lives on part of it.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Not sure, but one thing which is rubbish about Apple phones is not being able to expand the memory capacity with some kind of memory card. I've never had a modern (21st century) phone which didn't accept a memory card of some kind. But having the OS occupy part of the built-in system RAM isn't at all ususual for any device.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts