Apple lossless CD correction

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
What is the advantage of using the error correction whilst ripping cds to Apple lossless as it is taking forever to do so?

I have only managed to rip 12 albums in 7 hours!!

I get it if I am having trouble with a particular disc so why do people on previous threads say to tick error correction.

At this rate I will have grown a beard!!!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I rip CDs losslessly now (have been doing so a lot in the last month or so) and I always tick error correction.

I have never experienced what you are describing on either of my iTunes host computers (Dell Laptop and Apple iMac). I guess I am lucky that all my CDs are in good nick.

Some disks are slower to rip than others but typically the range of speeds I see are between 8X and 16X and will take between 5 minutes and 2 minutes depending on the disk.

Some disks start off slow and get much faster as the rip progresses.

If you are only managing to do 12 albums in 7 hours then something must be wrong.

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
It must be my 5 year old Dell laptop.It doesn't take long to rip in non lossless without error correction.
Oh well it will keep me busy for about 6 months then!
Thanks guys and open to any suggestions to speed things up!

jcoops16

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I started to rip my CDs with error correction on and it was taking ages, 2x something like that, the pc had a slimline drive so that must have been the cause I guess. So then I turned it off and rips stared taking minutes to complete then. The thing is the rips that didnt have error correction some of them were faulty, they had that horrible digital stutter, so I stopped ripping my CDs with itunes.

A

Anonymous

For info: Just ripped an ancient Chris Rea CD - 3min 20sec total. Lossless/error correction on iMac running Lion OS

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I just ripped a 3 CD set (Charlie Connelly 'Attention All Shipping') to iTunes with error correction on.

Disc 1 and 3 zipped through. I saw speeds from 14X to 20.9X.

Disc 2 was sluggish and didn't go above above 5.8X.

All three CDs looked fine. No marks or finger prints or dust. I don't know why they vary like this.

Dell Latitude laptop. (Mains adaptor plugged in and flat on desk.)

ReValveiT

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
amcluesent said:
It takes ages to rip so you have time to ponder if Apple lossless really is the format you should be using... :doh:

...and then conclude that it doesn't matter, since ALAC can be easily (batch) converted to any other lossless format, at any time, with zero loss. I personally rip to ALAC using BDPoweramp. It's much better than iTunes at ripping.

A

Anonymous

I use DBPoweramp also, great piece of software. Bought the full version which was about $30, okay not free but then how much is your music collection worth?

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
To make matters worse 2 days worth of ripping lost when transfering to a standalone hard drive due to not knowing what i am doing. :help:

Anyway started to re rip at 7 am with rips going straight to external hard drive. Averaging about 3x normal speed :cry:

Patience is a virtue ,only another 70 albums to go!!!!!!! :O :doh:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts