Apple AirPort Express

Tristy

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I've had a Apple Airport Express(firmware 7.6) for Christmas. I have it plugged in via optical Sony STR-DH820 with B&W 601 S3 speakers with Apple lossless music on my MacBook Pro.

Im reading on here people buying dedicated DACs. Is there any point for me to do this? as I've connected it directly to amp via optical.

Also I have the express connected via wireless. Would I get better quality if I plug it in via Ethernet cable? My talk talk router is upstairs and the hi fi downstairs in the lounge. so I'd have to buy a Ethernet homeplug to have a wired connection.

A

Anonymous

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I use an Apple Airport express wirelessly and if you are not getting any drops outs of signal then in my opinion I would stay as you are.

Whether or not you need a DAC is up to you and how you find the sound quality and how much you are prepared to spend. I used an airport express into a different Sony receiver to yours and was happy with the quality. It was near to my fubar II usb dac. Obviously if you spend more then you get more improvements, perhaps demo a DAC and see. But if your happy with the sound as you are then you don't really need one as the DAC (s) in your Sony are doing the job.

Tristy

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks again
smile.gif

I think speaker cable is my first upgrade. At the moment Im using some cheap Argos speaker cable (I brought it when I had a cheap system and have never upgraded).

So I've brought QED Silver Anniversary Bi-Wire cable.

This will improve my sound a lot I'm guessing?

A

Anonymous

Hi speaker cables upgrades are often a hot topic for debate on the forums. If you do a search you will find a number of differing opinions.

I can't comment as I haven't changed my Van Damme speaker cable. I think you will find it improves the sound, thicker cable perhaps performs better.

MiddleMan

Jan 23, 2008
Visit site
Hi Tristy

I have a similar set-up to you. It is actually the AE that is doing the DAC conversion.

I am about to by a seperate DAC convertor, and was going to get the Beresford Caimen until I heard Cambridge are about to bring out a new DAC Magic, so am waiting to see how good this is.

So, I can't yet comment on whether a DAC will improve the sound, but after spending my cash, I hope it will!

MiddleMan

Jan 23, 2008
Visit site
...oh and ethernet connection won't improve quality, just improve stability if your wi-fi drops out at all. If it is stable then don't worry about it.

A

Anonymous

MiddleMan said:
It is actually the AE that is doing the DAC conversion.

Not if it is connected via optical as the OP said it was.

Tristy

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
THanks for your replys both :)

We'll ive upgraded the speaker cable to QED anniversary and Bi-Amp. And it sounds a whole lot better! Amazing difference infact. So I am more than happy :)

Im sure Ive read that if you use Optical its the Amp that does the decoding and not the AE.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts