Apple AirPlay to DAC

PrimeRib

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi all.

Sorry if this is a repeat question but basically, I have an decent Primare amp to KEF speakers and an AppleTV / Mac.

I want to send music to that amp wirlessly but use a dedicated DAC to process the signal first.

Do I need a DAC with an ethernet socket to plug into my Router thus 'appearing' as AirPlay on my network?

Are there DACs out there that are Mac friendly?

Cheers.

John Duncan

No, the Apple TV is Airplay friendly and you just need a DAC with an optical in to accept the signal from the Apple TV (which, if it's the latest model, only has optical out, not analogue). Personally I do it with the StreamMagic, but there are a number of cheaper DACs on the market which would suffice. Full list here, just make sure it has an optical in.

John Duncan

Ah ok, that's very different :)

I'm not aware of anything that is just a DAC and incorporates Airplay. There are some AV receivers and All-in-Ones that are, but that would obviate the need for your Primare, which seems a bit of a radical solution. There are DACs which have bluetooth like the Arcam rBlink, but I don't think iPhones/iPads do Apt-X, which means the sound quality wouldn't be as good.

PrimeRib

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
The ARCAM airDAC almsot does what I need - but the probelm is it adds another wifi spot. I want a set up that uses my existing wifi.

So in my mind, a DAC with an ethernet port that is connected to my router that I can pump audio to via any Apple device that processes into my amp. I used to use Airport Express but obviously the DAC in that was less than great.

Also, I want to be stareming audio from my MacBook AND be on the web. I could only be on either the airDAC or my own WLAN if I went with the ARCAM.

PrimeRib

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
Just read that the airDAC also hs an ethernet - so will just plig into my router and away I go.

£400 is a bit cheeky but I guess I can keep all my gear this way.

Anything else that does what the airDac does?

PrimeRib

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
I've pre ordered this. I can push tunes to it form any Apple device over wifi with no loss of quakity (I only have FLAC or ALAC files on iTunes) but can also process auio through it's Optical input from my Media Player and TV player.

Cheers all.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
PrimeRib said:
I've pre ordered this. I can push tunes to it form any Apple device over wifi with no loss of quakity

Cheers all.

If you are using WIFI then you will have loss of quality, as has been mentioned many times before Apples Airplay uses UDP as its transmission protocol with no error retry. Wifi networks often see around 2% packetloss due to congestion/interference.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
AnotherJoe said:
If you are using WIFI then you will have loss of quality,

wow, that's an amazingly definite broad, yet completely incorrect statement.

Just because it's wifi doesn't mean you will lose any quality.

Paul.

Airplay has timing packets and can re-transmit lost packets. No idea if this applies to damaged packets. I thought this would mannifest as a pause or stutter rather than quality loss?

Im sure you will understand better than I, head for section 5.2 RTP streams

http://nto.github.io/AirPlay.html#audio-rtsprequests

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
As the man said, the airDac has ethernet as well. (And can be used via optical if he wishes to play 'full fat' FLAC files.)

So this is not an 'either or' thread.

The OP wanted a DAC with native AirPlay and the functions of a 'dedicated DAC' too. Why 'beat him up' over wireless when his DAC will have both.

He wanted the choice to use both options (wireless/wired) and will get it.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
He said he can use wifi with no loss of quality.

I was just pointing out thats incorrect and he should use wired if possible (even homeplugs).

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
AnotherJoe said:

I was just pointing out thats incorrect and he should use wired if possible (even homeplugs).

It is correct though. Please stop saying it isn't....

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
AnotherJoe said:

It is correct though. Please stop saying it isn't....

Even WHF came to the conclusion that wired was better in their blind testing (without knowing why).

Its doesnt matter whether its Apple, Denon, Sony whoever - UDP over WIFI and perfect quality audio do not match.

If the ultimate quality is that important to you - then...

...U-S-E_W-I-R-E-D :wall:

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
AnotherJoe said:
U-S-E_W-I-R-E-D :wall:

I think it's best if people use what they want (even if it makes you start screaming, frothing at the mouth and bashing your head).

The airDAC has all the bases covered for all the things the OP wants to do (wirelessly and wired and AirPlay) so I don't understand the state you are in.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
AnotherJoe said:
Even WHF came to the conclusion that wired was better in their blind testing (without knowing why).

the same people that find marked differences in hdmi cables.... :?

AnotherJoe said:
Its doesnt matter whether its Apple, Denon, Sony whoever - UDP over WIFI and perfect quality audio do not match.

If the ultimate quality is that important to you - then...

...U-S-E_W-I-R-E-D :wall:

what you are saying is still incorrect. Fair enough, if you're doing high def then wifi will not have the bandwith to stream properly. If you are not, doesn't matter provding you have a strong enough connection. I wish people would stop touting these hi-fi myths, it does more harm than good for everybody.

You keep banging on about UDP, do you actually know what that means in this context? If it drops packets on a UDP stream, you will experience drop out - no change in sound whatsoever. The same way if you are watching iplayer and it suddenly drops out.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
You keep banging on about UDP, do you actually know what that means in this context? If it drops packets on a UDP stream, you will experience drop out - no change in sound whatsoever. The same way if you are watching iplayer and it suddenly drops out.

Dropouts are caused by packets failing to arrive and having to be resent to such an extent that the buffer cant cope.

Sound quality problems are caused by corrupted packets that DO arrive but contain incorrect data.

UDP has no error correction to avoid this.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts