Anything to be specially aware of PC wise when the PC is the music source?

Kutusov

Sep 13, 2021
Visit site
Hi,

I have all my music on a PC, connected via USB to a dac. I use Musicbee as the music player, with settings on ASIO (sp. exclusive). I read somewhere that PC RAM was important when streaming this way, so I upgraded it to 24GB.

I was wondering if there is something else that is important and that I might be missing? Something that might impact sound quality?

The PC is sort of old but as far as I can tell runs fine and fast. It's an i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz, running Windows 11.

Friesiansam

I can't see why you should have any problems. The only thing you might need to do, is adjust latency if you get clicks when you do something else, like open a web browser, although with a reasonably fast 6 core CPU, you should be ok.

Reactions: Kutusov

Vincent Kars

so I upgraded it to 24GB.
This only make sense if you enable the "load entire file in memory" option in Musicbee.
But I have my doubts if memory playback does anything at all sound quality wise.

You can do a hell of lot of tweaking if you want but most of them don't do anything at all (or cripple your PC is you go to far).
Basically, if the PC has a low DPC latency and the DAC a good quality USB receiver, you are fine.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts