Anyone tried the new Sony TV range yet?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Yes, that's my experience, too. Was worried when I read a bad review just 2 days after I'd ordered a 32" 403, but it's actually a really good T.V. There's no uneven backlighting, blacks look good, motion is handled very well (so no blurry footballs!). Just the usual Bravia imperfections of a slowish menu and slight fading when the screen is viewed from the side, but otherwise it's great. I don't think that I've seen Freeview displayed so well on any other L.C.D. before. Perhaps there were some lemons manufactured. Seems odd that some owners have no problems and others have no end of them.

A

Anonymous

The EX range upto 503 are comparable and as good as the W and V of Sony's 2009 range.The new improvements in the social network widgets and theHD terresterial compatibility in the new TV sets is a plus point. I'll be surprised if the forthcoming reviews on theSony do not get a 4 star rating at least.

The Sony LCD range is about as good as it can be! Philips still holds the title of the BEST PICTURE but at a price.

[One observation about the motionflow on the new set is worth investigating. It now states it creates smoother pictures and reduce blur]

Now the reduce blur attribute was never mentioned in regards to the V, W or Z series.It could be just semantics. But Smooth images and blur reduction aren't the same thing.So is there a new trick in the motionflow implemention this time round??

A

Anonymous

Anyone interested in the ex403 (particularly the 32 inch version) will have realised that an internet search for reviews and comments brings up the same story from the same guy time and time again - basically saying the picture was the worst he's ever seen and the shop owner has said they are all faulty.

Well I took the plunge over the weekend and got one anyway - couldn't resist a great deal (from argos of all places!) - and I can confirm that this guy has either been unlucky or is talking complete cobblers! It's a great tv. Even without motionflow it keeps a good grip on things and the colour gradience is spot on. Watched the footy in HD on BBC freeview yesterday and it was great. Similarly the incredibly demanding action scenes from Aliens on upscaled dvd show all the dark detail you'd want without any nasty pixelation.

The sound isn't great - but that's a pretty much universal problem these days.

To sum up - the 32ex403 is just as good as last year's V series - but with the added benefit of freeview HD and a lower initial RRP - what's not to like!?

A

Anonymous

Wolfred:To sum up - the 32ex403 is just as good as last year's V series - but with the added benefit of freeview HD and a lower initial RRP - what's not to like!?
It's marketed as a replacement for a V, but it's clear if you view a 403 and V side by side that the 403 is more akin to the S series.

A

Anonymous

Hi All,

I'm looking at getting either the 403 or 503, does anyone know if its possible to wire the tv to router rather then having to shell out on a USB dongle?

Anyone have any other advice for me, looking to spend between £600 - 900 on a 37-42" LCD and want to get the free HD channels using either FreeSat or Freeview HD. Is there any other TVs I should be looking at instead of the Sony 403 & 503?

matthewpiano

Yes you can use a standard ethernet cable instead of a wireless solution.

The EX503 is worth the step up in my opinion and I think you would have to go up to the HX703 to make a worthwhile improvement on that (I'm not such a huge fan of the EX703 simply because I don't think it justifies the £200 premium over the EX503). The EX503 is an excellent TV and superb value for money and I think it will fulfil most people's needs very well indeed.

A

Anonymous

I am a Sony man at heart, having a 26" and lately a 32W5500. The picture was superb so I incorrectly assumed that the new 40EX503 would be ideal being a slightly larger version of a tried and tested format, and as being told that the old version was to be discontinued. I purchased the 40EX503 and unfortunately, it did not match up to an old CRT 36"Toshiba. I was hugely disappointed. The dealer was very understanding, and took the 40EX503 back. I have now got Panasonic TX-P42G20B, as yet untried. [ There is not much choice in the 40" variety ] If I believe the reviews, I have made the right choice. Time will tell. Geoffthemerc.

I

A

Anonymous

The official reviews have come in, 3 UK ones I can think of.

The Ex503 is the undisputed crowning successor to the W5800 series. It's got the backlite clouding issue 98% licked.It has even been said it reaches black levels with details beyond previous Sony effort? Mmmm??

It now has a sliding gamma bar,a fast 7 sec buffer streaming for the ring fenced widget channels

There was one minor niggle that was around the picture isn't that sharp and can look washed out.

The EX503 is the new King in Sony's LCD arsenal. The EX 703 is thinner but performance wise can't see how it could offer more performance per buck

A

Anonymous

thanks for your reply Matthew. What benefits is there to getting the 503 over the 403? The only change I could see was 100 to 50hz.

Im hoping to go to Sheffield Sony Centre tomorrow to hopefully check them both out. Im hoping the 403 is going to be enough for me because I think I'm going to have to upgrade my aerial for the Freeview HD so would be cheaper to get the 403 obviously!

newaudio

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
good evening all....posted the following on sunday...

well.... got the sony box yesterday and set all up in the afternoon. sky+ box then went on the blink for bout an hour but nice girl in mumbai got me sorted. the sky on it is pretty good...but again some little faults with motion. especially with sport, think i need a HD box to see full potential. sound off the telly is better that that of the Samsung. speakers are now tucked under the front bottom face and give much cleaner lines and design to the look of the fascia. its now also full HD 1080 which the chap in the shop said the previous models wernt so i put a deposit on the sony BDP S760.

but when it came to choice it boiled down to plain old economics.... 500 euro voucher for Sony centre! just added 185 to it and telly was mine. yip... DID in Waterford have some pretty good deals at the mo... the Samsung i mentioned was retail for 450E but totally out of stock with it in PC world at 629... pays to shop about!

cheers chaps.... home cinema set up for 13' X 13' living room to follow soon.... depending on cash flow!

TRENDING THREADS