Anyone tried the new Sony TV range yet?

A

Anonymous

There is nothing radically new about Sony's EX /3/4/5u range, image quality is what you would expect from Bravia 3 equiped Sony from the V and W 2009 range.That was the companies finest. Now adding a Wi fi and HD Freeview capability is useful but I find ethernet wired streaming to be 100% reliable conpare with wi fi and no need for a dongle costing £80.

It is hard to see how the Sony Bravia 3 images can be improved.Sony has no plans to copy Philips. So what can it improve on? Contrast and Response time of the EX are just like the older range. As for the EX range higher up with LED the EX 7 series, doesn't automatically make it better. Sharp's LED LC series in 2009 didn't set the pundits alight.

I think the laws of diminishing returns are creeping into LCD technology

3D have been seen as the great leap forward.....I say it don't count.

Only Sharp's Aquos new 1 trillion color display set is the real breakthrough! Now I have that than 3D anyday.

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
We've a KDL-40EX503 in Supertest action in the May issue (on sale April 7th).

notherealakinanakamura: It is hard to see how the Sony Bravia 3 images can be improved.

They could have more consistent backlighting for starters.

A

Anonymous

I saw a HX703 in my local Sony Centre yesterday, they had actually just started putting them out. First impressions were good, I love the new "Monolithic" design and think this will be a major attraction to alot of people. Picture quality looked good - nothing earth shattering however, but then again I would probably question the quality of the source, they were playing BBC HD preview, so think next time I pop in I'll get them to hook it up to a Blu-Ray player.

I can't wait to see the HX903 as I understand it this is a full backlight LED opposed to the edge lit LED which the majority of the rest of the range are, so will be interesting to see if there is going to be a step up in picture quality between these sets.

A

Anonymous

52 inch HX 903 set, Harrods and Curries quoted £2500 to £2,900 for sale in June, glasses may or not be included?? Don't forget the glasses for the kids....that's just the start of the cost...

A

Anonymous

Simon Lucas:

notherealakinanakamura: It is hard to see how the Sony Bravia 3 images can be improved.

That review will be helpful...

I am looking at KDL-37EX503 at £799 vs the new Panasonic TX-L37S20B also at £799... Same size, both LCDs (not LED), both 100hz, FreeviewHD, etc... right now leaning toward the Sony given its available at the moment..

kev g

Mar 4, 2008
Visit site
.....just when you thought it was safe to buy a Sony - web tv is being developed....

...still do you really need an internet tv when you have computer internet ?

decisions, decisions, decisions

A

Anonymous

Went to the Sony and Samsung stores on Tottenham Court Road today...somewhat disappointed with most of the TVs to be honest...Sony's were showing a rugby match, motion blur was quite noticable on 100hz tvs, there was a constant 'cloud' around the players as they moved around the field. Maybe I am expecting too much... And the images are still quite grainy. Are plasmas any better in this regard?

A

Anonymous

Just spotted a bad review of the Sony 32" EX 403 on play.com

A

Anonymous

chainrock:
Of particular interest is the EX range (37-40 inch). any brave souls/early adopters?

I've viewed the EX403 range at most sizes, frankly they're abysmal. None of the 403 range can handle colour properly and it really shows in the quality of the picture. They appear to have severe problems with colour banding and just gets colours near to or approaching black totally wrong. In scenes with low light or high contrast, they have the worst picture of any TV I have ever seen.

I had mine running next to my far older 40V3000 and the picture just doesn't compare, the v3000 kicks the EX403's head in in every respect in terms of picture fidelity.

I am currently in the process of deciding whether to just give up and return the set, or go for a higher model. Haven't seen any 503's as yet so might have to have a look at one of those.

***:Just spotted a bad review of the Sony 32" EX 403 on
play.com

Yep, that would be me :(

I edited it over the w/e, and it never re-appeared, I wonder if that's 'cos Play have some in stock now.......

A

Anonymous

I had mine running next to my far older 40V3000 and the picture just
doesn't compare, the v3000 kicks the EX403's head in in every respect in
terms of picture fidelity.

if that is the case then your ex403 must surely be faulty ? or setup completely wrong ? it makes no sense that a brand new tv would look much worse than one thats 3 generations older from the same company ....

A

Anonymous

maxflinn:
I had mine running next to my far older 40V3000 and the picture just
doesn't compare, the v3000 kicks the EX403's head in in every respect in
terms of picture fidelity.

if that is the case then your ex403 must surely be faulty ? or setup completely wrong ? it makes no sense that a brand new tv would look much worse than one thats 3 generations older from the same company ....

You would imagine so, but having now replaced my 32EX403 a couple of times, the terrible picture persists. My retailer has now tested his entire stock of the EX403 range, which includes the 32/37/40 and 46" sets, and he reports that they all suffer severe banding and cannot accurately reproduce near black colours.

My V3000 suffers none of these issues, colour gradients suffer zero banding aborations.

So either the entire range is faulty, or they're simply not that good.

A

Anonymous

so am i right in saying the ex 403 has no 100hz , the ex 503 does , and thats the basic difference between them ??

michael hoy

Simon Lucas:

Simon,

From the pictures I have seen, the HDMI connections are sideways facing, will this be a problem with the thicker HDMI cables.

Will you be able to see the cable sticking out, when you are watching the TV face on.

A

Anonymous

maxflinn:so am i right in saying the ex 403 has no 100hz , the ex 503 does , and thats the basic difference between them ??

From a marketing perspective I presume so, behind the scenes I have no idea.

User reviews on here seem to suggest the picture is very good, so hopefully there's more to it than that.

I'm going to view one at the weekend and see if it suffers the same colour banding/colour gradient issues as the 403, if not I'll be buying one.

A

Anonymous

Patango:
maxflinn:so am i right in saying the ex 403 has no 100hz , the ex 503 does , and thats the basic difference between them ??

From a marketing perspective I presume so, behind the scenes I have no idea.

User reviews on here seem to suggest the picture is very good, so hopefully there's more to it than that.

I'm going to view one at the weekend and see if it suffers the same colour banding/colour gradient issues as the 403, if not I'll be buying one.

the reason i asked is that there are some very good reviews on the net for the ex 503 , if the differences are the same as between the old v and w series , ie just the motionflow , then the picture should be very very similar , its a strange one...

A

Anonymous

I visited the Swansea Sony Centre today to view the 2010 range and was suprised at the competitive prices of the new models. They had several old S,V,W and Z models in stock which were generally more expensive!

The new models looked good and the pictures showing were of the same standard of the older models. I was thinking of buyng a 40Z5800 (£949 @ Dixons/£1499 @ Sony Centre!) but I think I may now go for the EX503 @ £899.

A

Anonymous

maxflinn:the reason i asked is that there are some very good reviews on the net for the ex 503 , if the differences are the same as between the old v and w series , ie just the motionflow , then the picture should be very very similar , its a strange one...

Indeed, it has left me in a dilemma. The EX403 picture is so utterly unbelievably bad that I wouldn't even give it away, so am considering a EX503, but I'm concerned that when I get it home it'll be exactly the same.

Any 503 owners here that can comment on it's dark/low light scene fidelity? Anyone tried a test pattern or colour gradient on theirs?

tvspecv

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
just bought the new sony_kdl40ex703u
sony_kdl40ex703u.jpg
is slimmer than they other sets is led aswell havent checked it out but hoping it will do well

A

Anonymous

Being unimpressed with the new range I didn't feel the EX503 was worth extra 300 quid so i went with a 37W5810...just set it up today. I am not smitten but it seems decent... (i've only had it for 1 hour or so though :)

tvspecv

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
give it a 8/10 for: a nice and slim design, sharp picture, excellent upscaling ability,. against: black level not as good as plasma

needed an lcd as the tv was near a window and well lite room so plasma was`nt an option but havent seen the newer sets from sony this is one of the latest led models ex-o7

A

Anonymous

Patango:

maxflinn:the reason i asked is that there are some very good reviews on the net for the ex 503 , if the differences are the same as between the old v and w series , ie just the motionflow , then the picture should be very very similar , its a strange one...

Indeed, it has left me in a dilemma. The EX403 picture is so utterly unbelievably bad that I wouldn't even give it away, so am considering a EX503, but I'm concerned that when I get it home it'll be exactly the same.

Any 503 owners here that can comment on it's dark/low light scene fidelity? Anyone tried a test pattern or colour gradient on theirs?

Just got a 40EX403 and the picture is great, no problem with colour banding at all, so maybe it's only the 32" that has this issue. Haven't fully calibrated it yet, but it it looks good with the few tweaks I've thrown at it.

Internet TV is interesting, though unlike the S370 BD player I bought at the same time, it has not yet included BBC iPlayer. Hopefully, that will be remedied in a firmware update.

HD tuner is good value and I can now watch BBC HD, ITV HDand C4 HD without using my satellite PC card. Excellent! Just wish the content was better, but it will come....

Edit: Blacks are brilliant compared to the 40S2010 that the 403 replaced, though that wasn't too bad for 2006

A

Anonymous

michael hoy:Simon Lucas:

Simon,

From the pictures I have seen, the HDMI connections are sideways facing, will this be a problem with the thicker HDMI cables.

Will you be able to see the cable sticking out, when you are watching the TV face on.

There are two sideways-facing (left) and two on the back. I only use one (on the back)|, connected to my amp, so don't know if they would stick out, though some of the thicker ones might.

TRENDING THREADS