Anyone recommend a Pre to Power Amp Cable ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello I want to upgrade my Pre to Power Amp lead . I'm using a Furukawa FA-21 at the moment which I've had for about 15 years and don't know how good they are compared to current leads?. My Amps are Carver and I'm currently using Chord Co. Cables throughout my system.The Furukawa cables has a earth lead which connects to the earth terminal on the Pre-Amp is this necessary and is it something that I should be looking for in new lead? Any help would be appreciated.

A

Anonymous

It's a high amplitude low impedance signal and therefore unlikely to be affected in any way by any cable.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Keith, when you go to the supermarket do you buy branded food or just own label?

Do you own a car? Is it a Japanese car?

Would you consider eating organic fruit, or a free range chicken?

There are arguments for and against all of this, in the same way there is with cables. I'm pretty sure that all audiophiles/magazines aren;t wrong when they're after an extra 2%, or a dash of extra refinement.

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
From what I recall the Furukawa FA-21 was a very decent cable and it must have done something to please you when you bought it, i would consider emailing Chord to see if they have a suggested alternative and can answer your earth lead query, Then demo whatever they suggest you try-if you don't think it's worth the money when you hear it, don't change your cable.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Keith McAlpine"]It's a high amplitude low impedance signal and therefore unlikely to be affected in any way by any cable.[/quote]

Not true, capacitance is your mortal enemy. It only takes a few uffs to kill your treble. And the amplitude is going to be around 1 volt, which isn't very high IMO.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Keith, have you ever seen "One hour photo" aka looking in the mirror with Robin Williams?

Seriously. There are many unexplained mysteries in this world - maybe cables performing differently to your scientific theories are another.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Mr_Poletski"][quote user="Keith McAlpine"]It's a high amplitude low impedance signal and therefore unlikely to be affected in any way by any cable.[/quote]

Not true, capacitance is your mortal enemy. It only takes a few uffs to kill your treble. And the amplitude is going to be around 1 volt, which isn't very high IMO.[/quote]

A few uFs may certainly mess up the treble but luckily cables, whether cheap or expensive, will only have a typical capacitance of 200pf max. 1 volt at a lowish impedance is quite a lot.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Gerrardasnails"]There are many unexplained mysteries in this world [/quote]

The placebo effect is well documented.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Keith McAlpine"]The placebo effect is well documented.[/quote]

Or do you only think it is because you expect it to be, and are thus looking out for such documentation?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts