Anyone on here taking statins?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 188533

By diet I mean what you eat, not necessarily dieting to lose weight. My dad had high cholesterol and he was normal weight, ate healthy and was a runner. He'd run between 5k and 10k a day 5 days a week. Sometimes he'd even do half marathons. He still had to take a statin.

And gel is absolutely right. Some medications can raise cholesterol as well. :)

Reactions: Al ears

Friesiansam

By diet I mean what you eat, not necessarily dieting to lose weight. My dad had high cholesterol and he was normal weight, ate healthy and was a runner. He'd run between 5k and 10k a day 5 days a week. Sometimes he'd even do half marathons. He still had to take a statin.

And gel is absolutely right. Some medications can raise cholesterol as well. :)
I’m well aware it’s not simple, I’m also fortunate not to have a problem with cholesterol. Furthermore my wife is a retired chef and, having worked for many years in the NHS, an NHS trained dietitian and nutritionist. She keeps me on good diet. Both my parents had high cholesterol and type 2 diabetes, I have neither.

I’m well aware it’s not simple, I’m also fortunate not to have a problem with cholesterol. Furthermore my wife is a retired chef and, having worked for many years in the NHS, an NHS trained dietitian and nutritionist. She keeps me on good diet. Both my parents had high cholesterol and type 2 diabetes, I have neither.
consider yourself very fortunate, and buy the wife some flowers. :)

@bigboss, what is your opinion with regard to going on statins or making changes to diet, to correct high cholesterol?
It depends on the reason for statin therapy. Studies have shown beneficial effect in stroke and heart disease even with normal cholesterol levels. Strokes and heart attacks usually happen due to unstable plaques (cholesterol rich) from atherosclerosis and statins stabilise the plaques.

D

Deleted member 2457

8 weeks on statins and just had a fasting blood test and my kidneys GFR is low!
Apparently statins are associated with liver function not kidneys, according to my doctor just now. I might have not drank enough water or my other medications could be causing the GFR to be low.

D

Deleted member 2457

With all this kidney stuff I forgot to ask how was my cholesterol level - doh! They didn’t mention it either, which I am taking as a good thing.

SHaines

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2019
Visit site
Atorvastatin 20mg once a day for 8 weeks then have another blood test. The prescription is on repeat though.
We're not medical experts (important to remind folks of that, periodically), but I also take Atorvastatin nightly. I'd say it's been close to ten years.

I don't notice any side effects, but I've definitely heard many people do, so just pay attention to your body and talk to the doctor again if anything seems amiss.

D

Deleted member 2457

We're not medical experts (important to remind folks of that, periodically), but I also take Atorvastatin nightly. I'd say it's been close to ten years.

I don't notice any side effects, but I've definitely heard many people do, so just pay attention to your body and talk to the doctor again if anything seems amiss.
Thanks mate! (y)

D

Deleted member 2457

I had an heart attack couple of months ago, and was on statins 20, since my heart attack am now on 80, no side affects yet, but feel a lot better, plenty of energy.
Blimey man sorry to hear about that! 80 you say now what’s your cholesterol reading? Cheers.

TRENDING THREADS