Anyone heard the devialet gold phantom

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
cheeseboy said:
Thing is I work a lot with kids and young adults, those still not hardened by cynicism, and yes, they display raw emotional reactions such as this and you know what, it's infectious, happy and makes me glad to see it :) It's also made me more inclined to do the same and actually show waht I am feeling, and it's been quite refreshing. I'd suggest anybody try it :)
I understand, and agree, it’s nice to see, but in this particular case, I’m just not sure it’s 100% genuine, for reasons outlined in a previous post, which didn’t actually occur to me until I was writing it.

Genuine apologies, I didn't even realised I'd typed your name wrong. Sorry! It's ok, I actually know a builder called Dave :D Hope the ass survived whatever trilogy you settled on :D

See, told ya :)

It’s natural to shorten names, so no worries.

My ass survived the film fest - it’s used to it, and I have a comfy bean bag sofa - not sure it’s going to survive the pizza though...

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
davidf said:
chebby said:
Can’t stop digging that hole even deeper.

Did Devialet turn you down as a dealer?
Aaah, the power of suggestion...

I've never applied to be a Devialet dealer and never will. As I state on my site and social media, I choose my products very carefully.

Would be interesting to know if your reservations regarding the devialet are restricted to the phantoms or extend to their amps as well. Considering that their amps seem to be getting high praise mostly . Thanks :)

newlash09 said:
Would be interesting to know if your reservations regarding the devialet are restricted to the phantoms or extend to their amps as well. Considering that their amps seem to be getting high praise mostly . Thanks :)
No, I like the amps. I do think much of the time that they were overrated by many - and by that, I mean used with speakers that were out of their league. At one point there seemed to be a lot of in what was a relatively new brand at the time, and people were using, as a random example, the entry level amp with £10k (or more) speakers that weren’t easy loads, speakers that would require something like a pair of Bryston 7B monos to sound their best. I appreciate they use Class D for power, but everything has its limitations, but these were being talked about like there were none. So as I say, as long as the amplifiers were, like any other amplifier, used with suitable speakers, they were as good as anything else I’d encountered at the time. Used with the right speaker, it was sweet sounding - used with a speaker that was too much for them and they started sounding a bit flat and lost that sweetness and presence that the speakers are fully capable of.

For me, it’s the speakers. The tracks I heard, which I’m used to hearing, just didn’t sound right to me. The good thing about them that he’s, there was a lot of bass for their size, and it was quite an even bass (and by that I mean, every note seemed of roughly equal presence - none of the notes that just disappear), but it was just too much, and these were set up in a room that I knew, and a few feet from the walls, where most of the speakers would’ve been used. Even the rep seemed to be drawing attention to the bass, like it was the main selling point. Probably is for car sub fiends, but I’m not one of them.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
davidf said:
newlash09 said:
No, I like the amps. I do think much of the time that they were overrated by many - and by that, I mean used with speakers that were out of their league. At one point there seemed to be a lot of in what was a relatively new brand at the time, and people were using, as a random example, the entry level amp with £10k (or more) speakers that weren’t easy loads, speakers that would require something like a pair of Bryston 7B monos to sound their best. I appreciate they use Class D for power, but everything has its limitations, but these were being talked about like there were none. So as I say, as long as the amplifiers were, like any other amplifier, used with suitable speakers, they were as good as anything else I’d encountered at the time. Used with the right speaker, it was sweet sounding - used with a speaker that was too much for them and they started sounding a bit flat and lost that sweetness and presence that the speakers are fully capable of.

For me, it’s the speakers. The tracks I heard, which I’m used to hearing, just didn’t sound right to me. The good thing about them that he’s, there was a lot of bass for their size, and it was quite an even bass (and by that I mean, every note seemed of roughly equal presence - none of the notes that just disappear), but it was just too much, and these were set up in a room that I knew, and a few feet from the walls, where most of the speakers would’ve been used. Even the rep seemed to be drawing attention to the bass, like it was the main selling point. Probably is for car sub fiends, but I’m not one of them.

For your detailed reply. Fully understood what you meant. The first series of their amps seem be going heavily discounted in used market now, considering the price they were launched at. And some of the owners are feeling short changed with the cost of the upgrades, and some seem really happy with the improvements. Do you think the D-premier has enough juice for my pmc's. Thanks.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Yeah the phantom bass. There's the right amount of it but it doesn't sound like a bass drum and a bass guitar.

Which just goes to show that equalisation is not necessarily the answer.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
davidf said:
newlash09 said:
No, I like the amps. I do think much of the time that they were overrated by many - and by that, I mean used with speakers that were out of their league. At one point there seemed to be a lot of in what was a relatively new brand at the time, and people were using, as a random example, the entry level amp with £10k (or more) speakers that weren’t easy loads, speakers that would require something like a pair of Bryston 7B monos to sound their best. I appreciate they use Class D for power, but everything has its limitations, but these were being talked about like there were none. So as I say, as long as the amplifiers were, like any other amplifier, used with suitable speakers, they were as good as anything else I’d encountered at the time. Used with the right speaker, it was sweet sounding - used with a speaker that was too much for them and they started sounding a bit flat and lost that sweetness and presence that the speakers are fully capable of.

Just out of interest, did you hear a Devialet Amp and Speaker combination that was also using SAM on the Amp? This has a hugely positive effect on the SQ (and it’s measurable).

Infiniteloop said:
Just out of interest, did you hear a Devialet Amp and Speaker combination that was also using SAM on the Amp? This has a hugely positive effect on the SQ (and it’s measurable).
I did with a few speakers, and generally seemed a positive thing. I wouldn’t say it was something that would save a bad combination though.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
newlash09 said:
 the D-premier has enough juice for my pmc's. Thanks.

Hi newlash09

I’ve not heard the D-Premier however if a D-120 can drive passive ATC SCM150SL’s then I think your speakers should be a walk in the park for the D-Premier. 

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Sounds very promising then :)

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
davidf said:
Infiniteloop said:
I did with a few speakers, and generally seemed a positive thing. I wouldn’t say it was something that would save a bad combination though.

Agreed. SAM doesn't add anything to change the character of a speaker. It just allows the speaker to perform at its full potential.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
newlash09 said:
MUSICRAFT said:
newlash09 said:

Hi newlash09

I’ve not heard the D-Premier however if a D-120 can drive passive ATC SCM150SL’s then I think your speakers should be a walk in the park for the D-Premier.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

With SAM enabled, your PMC's will go lower...

https://www.devialet.com/en-eu/expert-pro-sam-ready-speakers/pmc/twenty-26/

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
newlash09 said:

Hi newlash09

I’ve not heard the D-Premier however if a D-120 can drive passive ATC SCM150SL’s then I think your speakers should be a walk in the park for the D-Premier.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

The 120 will even drive a pair of Apogee Duettas!

http://www.hifi-advice.com/blog/review/digital-reviews/network-player-reviews/devialet-120-and-200-hybrid-class-aclass-d-integrated-amplifiers/

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Does the Phantom have a history of failing and Devialet not being able/willing to fix them?
Not the Phantom. But..

https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/devialet

https://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/devialet-thread?page=69

https://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/devialet-200-4-months

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
newlash09 said:
MUSICRAFT said:
newlash09 said:

Hi newlash09

I’ve not heard the D-Premier however if a D-120 can drive passive ATC SCM150SL’s then I think your speakers should be a walk in the park for the D-Premier. 

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

I just bought a D-premier used. Was going for a good discount. So couldn't resist the temptation :)

Unfortunately the dpremier doesn't have SAM if iam right. I'd have to upgrade it to the D250 pro to get that functionality. And it is going to cost me around usd5000 for that upgrade. Some members seems to like the sound after the upgrade, and some are still preferring the original. Honestly I can't spend for a upgrade at the moment. I want to next sort out my digital front end with a roon and raat setup. This older Dpremier doesn't have the hardware board for raat implementation. And air+roon seems to be having lot of drop outs, though the quality when it works seems to be great.

So in hindsight, I just bought the DPremier as a good integrated amp for digital sources. I realised I would not be going vinyl any time soon. So it looked like a good kit for my specific needs. And since my system resides in my dining room, this should also lower the box count. That has been my thinking so far. Any other pointers or things I should bear in mind in setting up the system are most welcome. Thanks again :)

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
newlash09 said:
MUSICRAFT said:
newlash09 said:

Hi newlash09

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

I just bought a D-premier used. Was going for a good discount. So couldn't resist the temptation :)

Unfortunately the dpremier doesn't have SAM if iam right. I'd have to upgrade it to the D250 pro to get that functionality. And it is going to cost me around usd5000 for that upgrade. Some members seems to like the sound after the upgrade, and some are still preferring the original. Honestly I can't spend for a upgrade at the moment. I want to next sort out my digital front end with a roon and raat setup. This older Dpremier doesn't have the hardware board for raat implementation. And air+roon seems to be having lot of drop outs, though the quality when it works seems to be great.

So in hindsight, I just bought the DPremier as a good integrated amp for digital sources. I realised I would not be going vinyl any time soon. So it looked like a good kit for my specific needs. And since my system resides in my dining room, this should also lower the box count. That has been my thinking so far. Any other pointers or things I should bear in mind in setting up the system are most welcome. Thanks again :)

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
newlash09 said:
MUSICRAFT said:
newlash09 said:

Hi newlash09

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

steve_1979 said:
davidf said:
Are they repairable yet?

Does the Phantom have a history of failing and Devialet not being able/willing to fix them?
I don’t know what the reliability of the Phantoms is like, but there was a big thread somewhere stating that they’re physically not repairable.

EDIT: I see this has partly been answered in a previous post.

I presume they’ve sorted out AIR by now? That was an issue since day one.

newlash09 said:
Infiniteloop said:
newlash09 said:
MUSICRAFT said:
newlash09 said:

Hi newlash09

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

For what it’s worth, I’ve only ever heard the amps sounding excellent and - to my ears - lacking any identifiable character, which I see as a positive thing.

The Phantoms I’ve heard twice, and thought they sounded like a very advanced ghetto blaster, not my cup of tea at all. Probably great for a loft apartment but not real Hi-Fi to my way of thinking.

I look forward to hearing how you get on with the Premier!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts