Anyone heard the devialet gold phantom

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
newlash09 said:
Especially a pair in stereo setup. Can it be considered good enough to replace a 4000 pound hifi setup, in terms of clarity, sound stage and emotion. Thanks

I’m a huge Devialet fan and still love my 200 after three years of ownership. I haven’t heard the gold phantoms, but I heard the silvers (pair) in the Devialet showroom in Paris. I was expecting a lot, but was disappointed. Although the venue wasn’t ideal, to my ears they sounded very ‘HiFi’. Impressive bass and volume but no magic in the midrange, which for me is crucial.

Others seem to love them. But they’re not for me.....

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Those phantoms are sure a cutting edge design. But as you mentioned the more trained ear seems to find the mid range lacking. But I guess for the general public, they must be mind blowingly good. For the price of a pair of gold phantoms , one could get a used d-premier I guess. Which would be a step up in amplification in proper hifi setups :)

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
davidf said:
Are they repairable yet?

I've never had a problem with my 200, so don't know how difficult this is. Devialets seem to be more like a computer than anything else. Everything is modular, so I guess if something fails, you just get it swapped out.

https://theartofsoundllc.com/product/devialet-1000-pro/

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
I know this is not a hifi review, but I love this video because of the guys reaction to listening to the Phantom. It's something I'm sure we can all appreciate and have had at some point :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju6ERMA_5xE

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
I know this is not a hifi review, but I love this video because of the guys reaction to listening to the Phantom. It's something I'm sure we can all appreciate and have had at some point :)

Good to see you back....and I hope it will remain to be the case.

cheeseboy said:

Well my mind is still intact...

You can guess what his reaction is going to be as soon as he starts talking. I appreciate you need enthusiastic presenters for videos for them to be interesting, but you’re not going to get a genuinely realistic reaction from someone like that!

Summed it up for me when he compared it to a subwoofer in a car. He’s obviously a bass monster, as that was all he talked about. Except for trying to say where all the other frequencies were coming from, which didn’t seem very clear as to what he was trying to say.

The Phantoms have good bass presence across the bass range, but whether it’s the sort of bass you’re looking for is another thing. And then there’s the rest of the frequency range to be discussed.

”It’s physical. I can feel it in my chest”. Well, yes, you’re sitting right next to it!

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Good to see you back....and I hope it will remain to be the case.

thank you, much appreciated. I don't get that much time nowadays to do forums, at the moment I do have some free time. I caught up with the saga as it were, but the less said about that the better I feel. Onwards and upwards!

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
davidf said:
You can guess what his reaction is going to be as soon as he starts talking. I appreciate you need enthusiastic presenters for videos for them to be interesting, but you’re not going to get a genuinely realistic reaction from someone like that!

I did start by saying it wasn't a hifi review, maybe you missed that. As for the rest, are you aware that comes off pretty snobbish?

cheeseboy said:
davidf said:

I did start by saying it wasn't a hifi review, maybe you missed that. As for the rest, are you aware that comes off pretty snobbish?
I'm anything but a snob. Snobs generally have something to be snobby about. If that's you you interpret it, there's not much I can say to that, as I was just saying what I saw, and what I expected :)

Some people are impressed by big fat car exhausts that are trying to make little hacthbacks sound like racing cars - when in fact, they actually sound nothing like a racing car.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
So the Phantom Gold is the audio equivalent of ... ” big fat car exhausts that are trying to make little hacthbacks sound like racing cars”?

Sounds even more snobbish.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I agree with davidf on this. That video review was entertaining. As an indication as to whether anyone into hi-fi should buy it, it was hopeless. He wasn't even sitting in front of it when he was telling us how amazing it was.

It would be an interesting challenge to see if you could come up with a better sounding stereo for £40. For £400 it would be quite easily possible. At £4000 - no contest.

The Phantoms are fine for what they are. Lifestyle products for people with large disposable incomes.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
davidf said:
I'm anything but a snob. Snobs generally have something to be snobby about. If that's you you interpret it, there's not much I can say to that, as I was just saying what I saw, and what I expected :)

Some people are impressed by big fat car exhausts that are trying to make little hacthbacks sound like racing cars - when in fact, they actually sound nothing like a racing car.

it's more to do with the lack of english reading comprehension davef. When I lead with "this is not a hifi review" then you go on to critique it as a hifi review and all the things he missed, then yes, you're coming off snobbish and very much not the nine o clock newsish. The whole point of the video was that I thought it was nice to see somebody visually enjoying a bit of equipment that the thread was about, and that brought a smile to my face and I'd hoped that it would for other people too. Next time I guess I'll look for some beardy guy in sandles nodding a bit and talking about midrange whilst seemigly showing absoluetly no emotion at all for you ok? ;)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
Next time I guess I'll look for some beardy guy in sandles nodding a bit and talking about midrange whilst seemigly showing absoluetly no emotion at all for you ok? ;)

Blimey, have we met!

I've even grown "designer stubble" to look the part (and because I'm too lazy to shave, now I don't have to go to the office every day).

I think I look like Gary Barlow....but apparently not.....a cross between Steptoe and Shaggy seems to be the general consensus. *sad*

lindsayt said:
I agree with davidf on this. That video review was entertaining. As an indication as to whether anyone into hi-fi should buy it, it was hopeless. He wasn't even sitting in front of it when he was telling us how amazing it was.

It would be an interesting challenge to see if you could come up with a better sounding stereo for £40. For £400 it would be quite easily possible. At £4000 - no contest.

The Phantoms are fine for what they are. Lifestyle products for people with large disposable incomes.

I was going to say the same thing - I then presumed that he's already heard them prior to making the video (as you would normally do) and is doing the unboxing for the benefit of the video - but then that contradicts his reaction...

Would you make a video of a product you've not yet heard?

My reading comprehension is fine. I read your post. And as I said before, I said what I saw. Have you ever seen anyone make an exaggerated face like that when listening to ANY piece of equipment, EVER? He's got to keep it interesting for whatever demographic he's trying to cater for, and that's fine. I just take OTT reactions with a pinch of salt. Don't forget, I know what Phantoms sound like, it's not like I have no frame of reference for his reactions.

Anyway, I'm off to decide the rest of the day's movie viewing - I feel a trilogy coming on...

Oh, and it's "davidf", rather than dave. Dave sounds like a builder. Or does that sound snobby?

Peace & love :)

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
cheeseboy said:
Next time I guess I'll look for some beardy guy in sandles nodding a bit and talking about midrange whilst seemigly showing absoluetly no emotion at all for you ok? ;)

Blimey, have we met!

I've even grown "designer stubble" to look the part (and because I'm too lazy to shave, now I don't have to go to the office every day).

I think I look like Gary Barlow....but apparently not.....a cross between Steptoe and Shaggy seems to be the general consensus. *sad*

:D - I've been rocking the lazy man beard for as long as I can remember, and now its trendy I get accused of being fashionable, which is as far from the truth as possible. I think we may be twins :D

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
davidf said:
My reading comprehension is fine. I read your post. And as I said before, I said what I saw. Have you ever seen anyone make an exaggerated face like that when listening to ANY piece of equipment, EVER? He's got to keep it interesting for whatever demographic he's trying to cater for, and that's fine. I just take OTT reactions with a pinch of salt. Don't forget, I know what Phantoms sound like, it's not like I have no frame of reference for his reactions.

Thing is I work a lot with kids and young adults, those still not hardened by cynicism, and yes, they display raw emotional reactions such as this and you know what, it's infectious, happy and makes me glad to see it :) It's also made me more inclined to do the same and actually show waht I am feeling, and it's been quite refreshing. I'd suggest anybody try it :)

davidf said:
Anyway, I'm off to decide the rest of the day's movie viewing - I feel a trilogy coming on...

Oh, and it's "davidf", rather than dave. Dave sounds like a builder. Or does that sound snobby?

Peace & love :)

Genuine apologies, I didn't even realised I'd typed your name wrong. Sorry! It's ok, I actually know a builder called Dave :D Hope the ass survived whatever trilogy you settled on :D

TRENDING THREADS