Anyone have experience of Nvida Shield TV?

Feral

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
Hi All,

Does anyone have experience of the Nvidia Shield TV or Pro version? I currently have KODI running on Rasp Pi Rev B1 controlled through the KODI i-Pad app which plays all my HD media but is prone to freezing. I could try the new Rev 3 Pi but I like the idea of the Shield which also can use all the new codecs HEVC/H.265/VP9 especially with HDR support due in the next imminent update 3.2 plus HMDI2 and HDCP2.2

I should point out that I do not currently own a UHD TV (next big purchase) but wanted a more future proof set up and also save some storage by utilising the H.265 codec.

celsius

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi

I had a sheild tv for a few weeks had no end of problems with it I didn't have a 4k tv but kodi kept crashing and as i had an older 720p tv it wouldn't recognise it and showed everything in full hd ,I now have a amazon tv box with kodi and a 4k tv and i can't fault it

Feral

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
I had some high hopes for the Shield, esp with the nas space savings on files with the new codecs supported. I believe there is a shield specific kodi installation, not the standard version OMSC that i use on the Pi. I don't have a UHD TV atm but on the cards at some point., would be nice if i could try before i buy or maybe pick one up second hand as i don't mind getting into the technical set up.

Feral

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
I bit the bullet and opted for the 16gb version after reading about a number of problems with the pro version with the 500gb storage.

I must say this is a beast of a machine, once the setup was done which takes about 5min. Setting up kodi the same as my Pi config took less than 10 mins from install. There is an android package called SPMC which is the shield specific KODI install, so just a matter of searching in the store. After that i just opened the app, set the skin to amber (you have to find skins first) and then add the files via NFS. The entire library with images took under a min to update for films and TV.

The image is much brighter and offers better image quality than the Pi so for my mind worth the investment.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts