Anyone got any comments on these speakers???

tifosi20002008

Oct 2, 2008
Visit site
Still in the market for a new pair of stand mount speakers for my system.

Currently have Mission 780's thinking that I'm probably not geting the maximum from my system. Which comprises of Creek Evolution 2 amp, Exposure 2010s cd player and Chord cables. My missions are mounted 4 inch's from the rear wall and sound good there no boom at all. So replacment speakers must be happy at this distance. I am considering. Arcaydis DM1's, Dynaudio dm2/6, Atc scm7, Usher 520, Epos m5i also anyone heard the Revolver music 1?

I listen to a wide mix of music. Led Zepplin, Hendrix, Florence and the machine, Adele, Classical.

Keep on rocking.

Thanks. :rockout:

T

the record spot

Do check out the Revolvers if you get the opportunity...fine speakers by all accounts. I'd throw in a pair of Mission 751s if you can snag a good pair in good condition. Magnificent for the money you'll pay and perform well above expectation.

A

Anonymous

I'd leave the missions alone now and step-up to some better standmount speakers.

IMO & at a minimum would be the B&W 685's then followed by the Arcaydis DM1's, EB Acoustic EB1's, Dynaudio DM 2/6's and the B&W CM5's.

Personally my money would be on the B&W's and the Dynaudios

T

the record spot

Chuckle - you believe what you like hifilover; they were fine speakers then and they'll sit nicely amongst your list with ease.

EDIT: I'll reword the first edit. Unless you know the 75 series, you don't really know what it's capable of. They're not just "good" speakers, they were streets ahead of the rest at the time. The 751 was a fast, powerful speaker. Musically, the balance is bang on, it leaves the 685 standing which sounds like lumpy porridge by comparison. I've heard it, it's okay, but won't be remembered in 20 years time.

For the music the OP's listed, the 751 - at £100 - would be a fine starting point.

A

Anonymous

the record spot said:
Chuckle - you believe what you like hifilover; they were fine speakers then and they'll sit nicely amongst your list with ease.

EDIT: I'll reword the first edit. Unless you know the 75 series, you don't really know what it's capable of. They're not just "good" speakers, they were streets ahead of the rest at the time. The 751 was a fast, powerful speaker. Musically, the balance is bang on, it leaves the 685 standing which sounds like lumpy porridge by comparison. I've heard it, it's okay, but won't be remembered in 20 years time.

For the music the OP's listed, the 751 - at £100 - would be a fine starting point.

I'm not stating they were bad speakers; did i say that ANYWHERE in my comments?

I simply stated that better speakers can be had now; new technology etc...

Yes, the missions were good but for the range of speakers that can be bought now new or 2nd hand around the £500 mark; it'd be a safer bet to go with them IMO

What is it with people currently getting on their high-horse and trolling?!?!

RS - You're an advocate of old technologies, that's fine, I still love the old Arcam/NAD and AE speakers I have in my loft BUT the newer stuff these days can out punch it easy

You say that the B&W's arent very good; that's in your opinion but for a lot of other people, including magazine reviews, they're simply VERY GOOD speakers!

A

Anonymous

Hi tifosi
I have had a set of the Dyns dm2/6 before ,they are very good speakers for the money mate ,realy good detail in them for music I even used them up front in my system for films to ,they can play very lound for there size to, and also very good bass from the size of the speaker .
Hope this has helped a little ,from bamz
Ps don't forget you will need some good speaker stands to this will help the Dyns even more :) :)

T

the record spot

hifilover1979 said:

You'd need to say why they were better to be able to lay factual claims that you're right. Speaker technology might have shifted with the materials used, but fundamental design is long understood. Better speakers could be had then, but for the budget, the OP's preferences, it's a no brainer. Nothing to do with supporting older products at all, simply advocating good design and build that comfortably sits in with current product lines.

hifilover1979 said:
Yes, the missions were good but for the range of speakers that can be bought now new or 2nd hand around the £500 mark; it'd be a safer bet to go with them IMO

Depends, until you hear them, but then you're talking about speakers secondhand at £500 which means they'd have been a tad more new, which isn't like-with-like. Hardly a fair comparison.

hifilover1979 said:

Defensive yes, trolling, no. This is a simple point of clarification, but the insinuation's better aimed elsewhere.

hifilover1979 said:
RS - You're an advocate of old technologies, that's fine, I still love the old Arcam/NAD and AE speakers I have in my loft BUT the newer stuff these days can out punch it easy

You say that the B&W's arent very good; that's in your opinion but for a lot of other people, including magazine reviews, they're simply VERY GOOD speakers!

I never said, conversely, that the 685s weren't good speakers. Compared to the 751s for the music I heard, they sounded pedestrian and lumpy and naturally, this is in part to do with the gear they were connected to. I'm sure they are very good, but I'd never willingly hand the money over for them and better is easily had. IMO of course.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Do try out the KEF Q300's. They're an amazing little performer, and while they may be a little cheaper than some others mentioned, they have one major advantage - their single source point UniQ driver. This improves imaging due to all frequencies coming from a single point rather than two or three, and therefore improves soundtsage accuracy. They also have an unusual knack of naturally sounding very three dimensional, which is something very few sub £1,000 speakers (and sometimes beyond) can manage.

I would say these are one of my favourite sub £1k loudspeakers, along with the ATC's.

tifosi20002008

Oct 2, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Dave @ Frank Harvey.

But the Kef's will not pass the She who must be consulted test. Has anyone have thoughts or heard the Triangle Colour standmounters??

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
hifilover1979 said:
the record spot said:

RS is a strong advocate of older technologies which he has been pushing on these forums for a long time. Nothing wrong with that, everybody is entitled to their opinions, but please just don't dismiss newer speakers like the B&W 685's with comments like "it leaves the 685 standing which sounds like lumpy porridge by comparison". If what you say is true, I'm really surprised that so many people have already bought these speakers if they sound like lumpy porridge when compared with the Missions. RS don't you think that it's time you joined the rest of us in the 21st century ;)

T

the record spot

I imagine most people haven't had the chance to hear them together hence not realised what they're missing. And sabby, why don't you read my signature line below to answer your question?! CDP and DAC all very 21st century...

roten

Dec 3, 2008
Visit site
You are in a similar position to me when it comes to speaker placement. I spent a lot of time auditioning speakers, which is really hard with some dealers as I had to ask for them to be placed close to rear walls and one close to a corner. I was at one dealer told me that my speaker placement was all wrong and needed to move them to enjoy music - didn't stay long in that shop. From experience, only a sealed speaker or a small woofer will sound ok with your placement. I ended up building my own with a SEAS 4" woofer. Am now very happy. Speakers I can't recommend, even if they are excellent, are dynaudio and B&W. These both sound really boomy close to rear wall. But please go ahead and try them. This is the only way to ensure that this is not your "sound". I would say the closest I got to my type of sound close to wall, was atc. But these didn't pass the WAF.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
No afraid not, can you have a listen yourself?

How about the other suggestions?

The Epos with the Creek is hand in glove match, my personnel favs the 12.2 are a great speaker.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts