Anyone got a guess at a time-frame for Denon AVR4308 replacement?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am considering upgrading from my current AVR-4306 to the AVR-4308 to give me HDMI1.3a and the new HD audio decoders along with the other feature improvements - WiFi etc but having just read this months review of the AVR-1909 and with it being heralded as such a big improvement over its predecessor, I'm now wondering if I'm better off waiting for the 4308's replacement and wondering when that might be? This kit is too expensive to be replacing too often so I want the right one ; )

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
I know we've got a couple of new Denon AV receivers on the way, but not sure if/when we'll be getting a replacement for the 4308. Our First Tests ed Simon is on holiday, so will make some enquiries.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Damien Buckley:I am considering upgrading from my current AVR-4306 to the AVR-4308 to give me HDMI1.3a and the new HD audio decoders along with the other feature improvements - WiFi etc but having just read this months review of the AVR-1909 and with it being heralded as such a big improvement over its predecessor, I'm now wondering if I'm better off waiting for the 4308's replacement and wondering when that might be? This kit is too expensive to be replacing too often so I want the right one ; )

I'm pretty sure that the 3808 and 4308 are not being replaced this year. Also Damien, the 1908 did not have HD codecs so that is something that the 1909 has improved on but as you know the 4308 already has just about everything! I think that it's fairly future proof - unlike your 4306 and the 1908 without the HD codecs.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
That's correct - Denon not replacing either the 3808 or 4308 this year. I'd expect an announcement at, say, CES in January then new kit in the UK for Spring (at the earliest).

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:That's correct - Denon not replacing either the 3808 or 4308 this year.

Hooray, i'm sorted for another year!

A

Anonymous

Thanks everyone - I'm likely to have to wait until November to see the Pioneer PDP-LX5090 I'm waiting for in Australia so I have a bit of breathing room. Will see what happens.

@ Claire - how much better was the 1909's sound quality of its predecessor and do you think the 4309 is likely to have this much improvement (conjecture I know) or is the 4308 already way over the 1909 in this respect anyway?

A

Anonymous

Why not consider any of the Award Winning Onkyo models? Like say the 875s? I'm eagerly awaiting news on the Onkyo 876s if any... hope that there will be an announcement soon.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Damien Buckley:Thanks everyone - I'm likely to have to wait until November to see the Pioneer PDP-LX5090 I'm waiting for in Australia so I have a bit of breathing room. Will see what happens.

@ Claire - how much better was the 1909's sound quality of its predecessor and do you think the 4309 is likely to have this much improvement (conjecture I know) or is the 4308 already way over the 1909 in this respect anyway?

The Denon AVR-1909 was immediately better than its predecessor - where the 1908 had a tendency to plod, the 1909 is full of drive. Let's put it another way - it's better than a receiver (the Onkyo 606) that itself is better than last year's Product of the Year receiver (the Onkyo 605 which was easily better than the 1908...)

But as we all know, many other aspects come into play at the higher-end of the market - video upscaling etc etc - that go beyond a more dynamic sound in terms of product improvements. Should be very, very interesting at that end of the market once the next-gen kit is out....

A

Anonymous

seakingadvice:Why not consider any of the Award Winning Onkyo models? Like say the 875s? I'm eagerly awaiting news on the Onkyo 876s if any... hope that there will be an announcement soon.
Sorry, hardcore Denon follower here.

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:
Damien Buckley:Thanks everyone - I'm likely to have to wait until November to see the Pioneer PDP-LX5090 I'm waiting for in Australia so I have a bit of breathing room. Will see what happens.

The Denon AVR-1909 was immediately better than its predecessor - where the 1908 had a tendency to plod, the 1909 is full of drive. Let's put it another way - it's better than a receiver (the Onkyo 606) that itself is better than last year's Product of the Year receiver (the Onkyo 605 which was easily better than the 1908...)

But as we all know, many other aspects come into play at the higher-end of the market - video upscaling etc etc - that go beyond a more dynamic sound in terms of product improvements. Should be very, very interesting at that end of the market once the next-gen kit is out....

Hmmm, might hang on for a while.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts