Anyone else built their own speaker ?

lbafsaj

Feb 28, 2008
Visit site
After changing my Kef Front speakers for Hifi reasons to a pair of Rega RS 3's, Idecided to chance it and make my own centre speaker as the Rega RS Vox just didn't look substantial enough.

I took the drivers and crossovers out of my KEF IQ 6C, purchased the Woofers, Tweeter and crossover for a Rega RS 3, installed them into the KEF casing and Robert is my mothers brother !

Have to say, works a treat and sounds very solid indeed. I was really worried whether this would work, as I have tried to make my own speakers before ( back in my younger days when Tandy was still in existence), but this worked a treat !

Be interested to hear of any other similar experiences.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Photos please.

70's - given 2x12in woofers (not identical). Bought a couple of tweeters and installed them into 3/4in chipboard boxes about 36in tall. Magic bass!

80's bought Goodmans Mezzo twin kit. 8in woofer 2-way. Enclosures made to spec..

90's - bought an Awai 5.0 prologic midi system. Fronts recently sold sounded pretty good but centre/rears were small drivers in plastic boxes. I used the drivers and bought some others to build a centre with 'pots' to adjust the balance. I made small floorstanders for rears which I still use for surround back.

No pics but making them was enjoyable and they all sounded good enough at the time. Well worthwhile. I sometimes fancy making some more but time will tell. :)

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
Made a pair of speakers during my college years.

Something went amiss during the design process, and my Audax 8" low-resonance bass units ended up inside coffin-sized enclosures. OK, one of them did. The construction of one cabinet took two of us three days, and the workmanship was, errrm, let's just say 'shoddy' and leave it there...

The resulting speaker- dubbed Yul Brynner's Noggin- and replete with Beavis and Butthead stickers on the front baffle, sounded pretty good to be honest. Even after I drilled an extra hole in the baffle and lobbed a 12" cheapo subwoofer in as well. The bass was tremendous, if a little plummy.

Shame we never got the second one built.

It is still in existence, sat in a corner of a mate's kitchen and used as a shelf to put stuff on.

Suffice to say, I now know how not to do it in future!

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
No but my dad did in the 70s, it was common then. The best he ever made used Wharfedale Unit Five drivers in home-made sealed cabinets. They sounded awesome to my young ears. I've often wondered what they'd sound like now, compared to speakers I'm now familiar with. He sold them to my brother's workmate when I was still very young, and my brother's workmate fried them with an underpowered amp. Shame.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I did in the 70s..........I hope that doesn't make me old enough to be the Major's Dad. :help:

lol you might be old enough to have legally parented me if you're currently 60 or over, but it's extremely unlikely you're literally as old as my dad. He had me quite late on.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
CnoEvil said:
I did in the 70s..........I hope that doesn't make me old enough to be the Major's Dad. :help:

lol you might be old enough to have legally parented me f you're over 60, but it's extremely unlikely you're literally as old as my dad. He had me quite late on.

Phew! Thank goodness for that.....I was beginning to get palpations. :grin:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts