Anyone buying the new Hobbit?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
Diamond Joe said:
I live in the sticks, East Northants, and they tried delivering to me a couple of Sundays ago, shame I was at work and it didn't fit through my letter box! :roll:

sounds promising - we're on the surrey/Hampshire border, I'll order something next Saturday and see if anything turns up!

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Got mine today as well, hoping to get time to watch it while got the SVS SB13 Ultra on demo.

If you like smooth as silk bass then this is a sub to consider

ellisdj said:
Got mine today as well, hoping to get time to watch it while got the SVS SB13 Ultra on demo.

How is the build quality and aesthetics of BK sub? I'm looking for either a sub with wood veneer, or an in-wall sub. I was thinking of trying out BK.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
bigboss said:
ellisdj said:

How is the build quality and aesthetics of BK sub? I'm looking for either a sub with wood veneer, or an in-wall sub. I was thinking of trying out BK.

How about Artcoustic for an in wall sub? Stylish and wife friendly :)

http://www.artcoustic.com/Art_speaker_SL_Subwoofer%20page.html

What is your Budget for a sub?

ideal av

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
watched this film last night and quite enjoyed it, also it had for me a better mix than the last one which I felt was a bit bass light

this gave my dual JL's quite a workout :)

duaplex said:
bigboss said:
ellisdj said:

Thanks! Never heard this brand before, can't find reviews either. Are they good?

I haven't set a budget as yet. In the short term, my Apex AW12 can do the job, but I'm looking for either a wood veneered or on-wall / in-wall option in the longer term.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
bigboss said:
duaplex said:
bigboss said:
ellisdj said:

Thanks! Never heard this brand before, can't find reviews either. Are they good?

I haven't set a budget as yet. In the short term, my Apex AW12 can do the job, but I'm looking for either a wood veneered or on-wall / in-wall option in the longer term.

You will be hard pressed to find reviews, I had to go for a demo. They are good for an in wall sub, they will do the job. But in comparison to a standalone sub like the JL range that Allan mentions then it will fail to dig deep. It simply (like all in walls i suspect) lacks the depth of cabinet needed to reach that resonating low end bass and can only take it so far.

But as far as in wall subs go, then they are the best I have heard to date. I would view them as a compromise if getting a normal box style sub is out of the question. Like many style packages you are paying for aesthetics and form factor too so just keep that in mind when looking at these in wall solutions. Are you going to get the best bang for buck? Needs must as they say.

Personally I would go with the E112, I have heard those and they come in the finish you are after. When my room is ready I will be inviting you BB, so hold tight :)

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
duaplex said:
bigboss said:
ellisdj said:

wpuld you not consider the monitor audio sub if your going for the RX speakers? Comes in a wood finish and very well made. Also quite compact (so wife friendly)

I may have to go for an in-ceiling solution for a 7 speaker setup. Because of a projector screen which isn't acoustically transparent and fireplace underneath, there's no space for the centre speaker except the ceiling. I'm thinking of a Kef motorized in-speaker for centre (check my other thread "New home cinema plans").

If I go for that, it's better to go for in-ceiling motorized fronts and matching rears and rear surrounds.

MA silver and Kef R series have good subwoofers, but I'm just exploring more options.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I enjoyed it too.i particularly loved the voice of Smaug. Benedict Cumberbatch just commands such presence with his voice.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Hi BB

Its funny - poeple talk about subs digging deeper but I bet have never measured the actual reposne they get from the sub in the room.

2 different but similar subs will most likely measure idential if in the same spot in the room - this I have prooved in the last few days.

However the subs can sound different and can perform a bit better but its unlikely 2 selaed subs in the same spot will perform much different if different at all in terms of frequency resposne - which is why placement is always most important.

I have a satin black XLS400 - build quality is excellent - the finish is good - I have not seen the wood veneers but after seeing mine and black gloss I have no reason to see why the veneer would not be as good / more than good enough

In terms of performance the XLS400 is a musical sub - its doesnt dig that deep sub 30hz in room - however it will probably do enough for the majority of people. If you want deeper you will have to buy a ported sub

Crossing it over at 100hz works very well.

Im comparison to the SVS - the SVS is cleaner and does perform better in the lower notes because of its extra power / better design - but there is not country miles in it. The SVS is a very good sub, I have it crossed over at 100hz at the minute and its added support to my system that I have never had before. I am still tweaking it to get max performance - but its highlighted errors in my setup elsewhere which I always find is the case when you get an excellent new product

T

theflyingwasp

Watched the hobbit part 2 last night.it was the best 3d I've seen for a while. Flawless picture. Yeah ok some people think these movies are too long but so is the godfather.

D

Deleted member 2457

Just watching it now, the picture and sound is fantastic again!

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
watched this last night - whats not to like - this was quicker to get going than the first film.

I dont think as in depth really but feels less padded out at the same time.

Apart from a bit of 3D eye strain (Minimal considering lentgh of film and brightness of TV in pitch black room) I felt the film flowed well and felt over pretty quick which is a sign I was enjoying it.

Setup for the big final film same as LOR Twin Towers

BowserWilkens

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Watched this last night.....

I have never had stronger confirmation that splashing out on a big home cinema setup was worth it.

My modest Benq w1070 produced the cleanest, sharpest & most intelligently orchestrated 3D picture I've seen. It's sad but true that on more than one occasion, I looked away from the screen & looked at the projector itself & I smiled.

The soundstage was just lovely. Sometimes I've thought my 11.2 setup is a tad too much - not here.... the heights & wides were very happy - the 2 subs were perfectly well behaved until old Smaug entered the film. Then there were just incredibly clean low tones - I'm considering buying a couple of buttshakers at some point but it almost felt as though I already had when the arrogant Dragon strutted his stuff.

The story was good but of course it was frustrating when the film came to an end (I HAVE TO WAIT A YEAR!!!! THINGS ARE JUST ABOUT TO REALLY KICK OFF!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOO!). 161 minutes has never flown by so quickly.

I saw WWZ at the weekend & thought the 3D was good but this blows it out of the water. I think the best 3D images are not those that jump out at you but rather those images you can look into & the Hobbit 2 has these in spades.

D

Deleted member 2457

BowserWilkens said:
Watched this last night.....

I have never had stronger confirmation that splashing out on a big home cinema setup was worth it.

My modest Benq w1070 produced the cleanest, sharpest & most intelligently orchestrated 3D picture I've seen. It's sad but true that on more than one occasion, I looked away from the screen & looked at the projector itself & I smiled.

The soundstage was just lovely. Sometimes I've thought my 11.2 setup is a tad too much - not here.... the heights & wides were very happy - the 2 subs were perfectly well behaved until old Smaug entered the film. Then there were just incredibly clean low tones - I'm considering buying a couple of buttshakers at some point but it almost felt as though I already had when the arrogant Dragon strutted his stuff.

The story was good but of course it was frustrating when the film came to an end (I HAVE TO WAIT A YEAR!!!! THINGS ARE JUST ABOUT TO REALLY KICK OFF!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOO!). 161 minutes has never flown by so quickly.

I saw WWZ at the weekend & thought the 3D was good but this blows it out of the water. I think the best 3D images are not those that jump out at you but rather those images you can look into & the Hobbit 2 has these in spades.

:cheers:

TRENDING THREADS