Anyone been ripping CDs over winter?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Anyone took advantage of the long cold winter to rip their CDs? I started in late 2012, finished in spring 2013, ripped 650-odd during that time IIRC. Since then I've apparently bought about 30 more because I'm now at 683 CDs across 488 albums (I have a lot of VA multidisc collections). But most of this winter I've been 'ripping' LPs as already explained in other threads (47 LPs in total). I've also recorded 21 Northern Soul 7" singles for my brother dating from the mid 60s to the early 70s, and I finally got round to ripping my collection of 43 CD singles, purchased from 1987 - 2003 when I stopped buying singles.

As well as keeping both a backup in the cloud and a duplicate on a separate HDD, I also convert everything to MP3s and store them on a 128GB flashdrive. If only my mother was still here it would totally blow her mind that on something not much bigger than a 5p piece I have stored the music from 683 CDs, 47 LPs, 43 CD singles and 21 vinyl singles, and it's still about 25% empty. Fair enough it's lossy but 99% of the time that doesn't matter, especially as I mainly use it in the wife's car.

IMG_4378.jpg

insider9

Which reminds me I've got one of those but because it's so small not exactly sure where :) Last time I remember taking it with me was when I visited Blacksabbath25.

All my CDs are ripped and I hardly buy them nowadays.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
ultra cheap CD’s in charity shops

You're lucky, round here the charity shops' CD shelf is mainly full of Slim Whitman, James Last, Andy Williams, etc. I think anything which might look like it could fetch more than a quid gets listed on eBay by one of the shopkeepers' grandsons.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Infiniteloop said:

You're lucky, round here the charity shops' CD shelf is mainly full of Slim Whitman, James Last, Andy Williams, etc. I think anything which might look like it could fetch more than a quid gets listed on eBay by one of the shopkeepers' grandsons.

I think many charity shops put the decent stuff online now. Never seen anything worth buying either.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
BigH said:
MajorFubar said:
Infiniteloop said:

I think many charity shops put the decent stuff online now. Never seen anything worth buying either.

I must have been lucky then. Found a lot of Joni Mitchell back catalogue recently along with Tanita Tikaram. I even found some Belle and Sebastian and Andrea Bocelli too.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Only CD I ever bought from a charity shop was the Air Guitar III compilation in 2009, but that was before they all got wise and opened eBay accounts. Although I really don't buy a lot of new music these days (about 30 CDs in 5 years it would seem!), by far my biggest source when I do decide to go on a binge is eBay. So much safer buying CDs than records. Over my 15 years of being an eBay member, I must've bought 50+ used CDs via the site and so far I've never bought a duffer. Sometimes the cases are buggered but I have a load of spares from the days when I used to buy blank CDs in jewel cases, so that's a non-issue.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
As well as keeping both a backup in the cloud and a duplicate on a separate HDD, I also convert everything to MP3s and store them on a 128GB flashdrive. If only my mother was still here it would totally blow her mind that on something not much bigger than a 5p piece I have stored the music from 683 CDs, 47 LPs, 43 CD singles and 21 vinyl singles, and it's still about 25% empty. Fair enough it's lossy but 99% of the time that doesn't matter, especially as I mainly use it in the wife's car.

It's amazing isn't it?

I carry a backup of my entire music collection on a Micro SD card that fits into my wallet unnoticed. Hundreds of albums and thousands of other miscellaneous tracks all stored on a 1mm thick card smaller than my little finger nail.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Ha! actually I still keep a lot of DVD-R's in those CD wallets. They contain miscellanous files, photos, my own music, and other stuff. I'm pretty anal about keeping backups of everything. Also it's just not practical to keep absolutely everything stored on the computer's hard drive when I don't need it to be there, plus that itself would be an even bigger risk. I realise writable CDs and DVDs aren't truly permanent though.

insider9

Ripped 5 CDs today.

Had a mate over and he brought a handful of CDs and I couldn't resist. First in a while and must admit I'm thoroughly enjoyed it. The streamer I built auto rips so all you do is slide in a CD. It rips it to FLAC, adds artwork and metadata and spits out the CD when ready. Roon ads it to library in real time. I'm chuffed with the functionality. Couldn't be easier.

Must admit this thread was an inspiration as I was building the streamer. Many thanks Major!

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I've re-ripped my entire smallish collection of about 5000 tracks in total in wav as an experiment to flac.

Guess what: made no difference

MajorFubar said:
insider9 said:
Ripped 5 CDs today.

Had a mate over and he brought a handful of CDs and I couldn't resist.

You naughty, naughty boy. I do hope you deleted your rips when he took the CDs back home :)
Yes, that prompts me to ask:- weren’t the legislators going to make even copying your own discs illegal, or something equally daft? Did anything ever happen on that front?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
I've re-ripped my entire smallish collection of about 5000 tracks in total in wav as an experiment to flac.

Could have told you that before you wasted your time. FLAC is a lossless compression codec, like a ZIP file, or TIFF for images. It uncompresses on the fly to be a bit for bit replica.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
nopiano said:
insider9 said:
They did. Ripping your own CDs is illegal in the UK.
Thanks, insider, yes I googled it and so it seems. Bonkers!

And funny that selling ripper machines is perfectly ok....

I remember the same debate when twin cassette decks were launched. It's illegal to duplicate copyrighted music but no law in this land stop you from marketing the machines to do it.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Ripping... oh boy I took about 4/5 years to rip all my CDs into my Synology NAS, about 1tb of music. The last Cd I’ve bought was last Christmas... Now I get my music online, hires files, or I buy flac albums directly from artist page when available. Tidal now plays a huge roll for me, my play lists are becoming more and with more tittles in them.

Bottom line, no regrets what so ever in ripping all the cds and store them in the attic, it was a looooog road but i’ve made it! Always hatted the cds plastic cases, it scats too much, and break too easily. If it is digital is in a flac file in my NAS! After all is just 0 and 1s... *blush*

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
Ripping... oh boy I took about 4/5 years to rip all my CDs into my Synology NAS, about 1tb of music.

That's commitment. I was mentally destroyed after finishing my collection of 650 CDs over the winter of 12/13, let alone 1TB worth. I've added to it since, having to rip the odd CD now and again is bearble. The classical CDs were the worst. Luckily I only have about 30. I must've easily devoted 15-20 hours to ripping and tagging just those alone, because the information provided by CDDB was, for want of a less crude but equally fitting term, wank.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Andrewjvt said:

Could have told you that before you wasted your time. FLAC is a lossless compression codec, like a ZIP file, or TIFF for images. It uncompresses on the fly to be a bit for bit replica.

I knew all that long before
I did it just because

johnnyboy1950

May 27, 2013
Visit site
What software do people use for ripping? Is one prog better than another. I have used musicbee which is free and very configurable with saveable profiles. Its a personal and subjective thing with usability but provided settings are comparable is there SQ differences between software?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts