Any word / reliable rumour on Monitor Audio GX range?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I suppose I'll have to set the record straight again. When I spoke with Alex at the Bristol Show, he told me the range wouldnt see a launch until at least June. I'll be working with the guys from Monitor Audio at the Gadget Show, so if there's any fresh news then, I'll let you know. Other than that, ignore dealers who are guessing.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Un update from the MD of Monitor Audio. The GX series isn't currently available to buy ANYWHERE in Europe, or even worldwide. The only products to have been heard will have been at a dealer or a show, and would have been part of a sample run, but none have been made available to buy for the public. official production has just started, and the launch date is still etched in for June.

A

Anonymous

the gs60's are brilliant speakers-i listened to them twice and much much wanted them but settled for gr60 so i could afford the audiolab cdq.

if they are discounted due to new models alledgedly out soon you should seriously consider them, although the discontinuisationing is a matter of spelling and conjectorisation

happy listening

both.of.me

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
Damien Buckley said:
Hi folks. I was drooling over some piano black GS60's in my local dealers at the weekend - considering replacing my RS6's but with the RX & BX lines having hit the streets and being such great improvements I think I'd rather wait for the GX line. Anyone have any news on when this might eventuate?

im waiting on a demo of gx200's and have been told there shipping next week to dealers!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Well so far, the GX200's are quite different to the RX or GS - they still retain that lively MA framework, but I'm finding the midrange on these much more open and detailed than the GS or RX models. The ribbon tweeter isn't as smooth as the ProAc ribbons, but then, if they were, they'd no longer be MA. They have bought more detail to the table, and a certain amount of delicacy to certain sounds. Harder to evaluate bass as they're currently running in on the shop floor rather than in a demo room, but they seem nicely balanced and not overblown or loose. They're not boxy sounding at all, and produce quite a big soundstage with plenty of depth and projection. The GX200's seem to be a nice, tight, revealing sound overall. After hearing how good the GX200's are, it'll be interesting to hear what extra qualities the GX300's will bring with them.... J)

I'll let them run in a little more before unleashing rage Against the Machine upon them :D

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
A very informative initial assessment and hope more light can be shed after run in.
smiley-wink.gif

cstanwhf

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
jaxwired said:
cstanwhf said:
Received my GX100 Walnut. ;) http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h259/cs_tan/IMG_0356.jpg http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h259/cs_tan/IMG_0358.jpg

OMG, they're gorgeous! Drool....

Thanks. They really look (and sound) better than in the pictures.

Waiting to see the how bubinga GX100 looks like.

Only saw the bubinga GX300 shipping sample.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
They're really starting to sweeten up now. They've been playing all week, and I've been using my regular demo CD's, as well as some old favourites. My usual Bleed Your Cedar by Elysian Fields sounded stunning when I started off with it the other morning, digging out as much detail as I've ever heard heard before off the album. Playing Massive Attack's Mezzanine this afternoon has brought out some bits I've never heard before on Inertia Creeps. Deep basslines may not quite get as deep as bigger floorstanders, but they certainly dont . BT's Movement In Still Life is a mix of pop, trance and hip-hop, and usually sounds great on big speakers capable of pumping out decent beats and basslines. The GX200's faired far better than I thought they would - they can actually take quite a pounding!

It'll be interesting to get these in the AV demo room - their detail level could be ideal for AV purposes....

A

Anonymous

Hey Frank, I know people will consider a sacrilege, but could evaluate the GX-100 ( when they arrive, of course), on a simple receiver?

My solo purpose is movies, and since I can't buy a pre/power, I have to stick with a receiver. And I REALLY want the GX-100.

Bye.

cstanwhf

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
The GX300 sounds even better than the GX200 when I heard them at the dealers.

I somehow feel that the bass of my GX100 seems a bit light.

Been running for about 2 weeks. About an hour or so per night.

Guess it is still a long way before it gets properly run in... :(

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
danielmb said:
Hey Frank, I know people will consider a sacrilege, but could evaluate the GX-100 ( when they arrive, of course), on a simple receiver?

My solo purpose is movies, and since I can't buy a pre/power, I have to stick with a receiver. And I REALLY want the GX-100.

Bye.

Certainly - as long as you call me David :bigsmile:

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
They're really starting to sweeten up now. They've been playing all week, and I've been using my regular demo CD's, as well as some old favourites. My usual Bleed Your Cedar by Elysian Fields sounded stunning when I started off with it the other morning, digging out as much detail as I've ever heard heard before off the album. Playing Massive Attack's Mezzanine this afternoon has brought out some bits I've never heard before on Inertia Creeps. Deep basslines may not quite get as deep as bigger floorstanders, but they certainly dont . BT's Movement In Still Life is a mix of pop, trance and hip-hop, and usually sounds great on big speakers capable of pumping out decent beats and basslines. The GX200's faired far better than I thought they would - they can actually take quite a pounding! It'll be interesting to get these in the AV demo room - their detail level could be ideal for AV purposes....

David,

Thanks for the reviews. I currently use MA RS 8s with an all Cyrus AV set-up. Love many things about the MA RS presentation, but if I could sweeten up the treble and tighten the base within my set-up that would be ideal. From your listening, how do you think the RX 200s compare to the RS 8s? I was rather hoping that the ribbon tweeter might just give me the improvement I'm looking for.

Charles

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Monitor Audio seem to have learned a lot from the Platinum range, and it shows - the GX200's sound more like Platinum than Gold - much tighter, more open, smoother and sweeter. When I learned of the prices originally, I was a little dubious of how successful the range would be, but so far, the GX200's are up there with the best. Granted, they're not going to worry fans of speakers like proAc, but they'll appeal to more or less everyone else!

As always, amplification quality will play it's part. I've been hearing them on a monoblocked Cyrus system, so probably as good as they're likely to sound.

hunnyy

Jul 25, 2008
Visit site
David, I own the Monitor Audio GS20s, (in a 5.1 configuration powered by an Anthem MRX700 receiver. There is much I like about the GS20s, but wish they sounded "sweeter" and "warmer". Do you think changing to the GX200s - or indeed something like the ProAc D18s - would be worthwhile?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I've started this reply again, in order to simplify it, as my original reply was quite complex and would've just confused rather than helped. To put it simply, I don't think the GX200's are warmer than the GS20's. They're smoother, sweeter, better balanced, and more cohesive. Whether you think they're warmer would have to be decided in a demo with the same AV receiver, but I wouldn't class them as a warmer sound - to me, they're open, detailed, and 'forthcoming' - they don't hold back. It's typical MA, but more refined.

From your description, it sounds to me like the Response D18's are the sort of sound you're looking for. They have a naturally warmer sound, and are pretty much the sweetest speaker I've heard at the price point. As you'll see from one of my posts above, those that like the GX200's aren't particularly going to be fans of the D18's, and vice versa, as they're quite different. I can see the GX200's becoming as popular as the D18 already is for us.

Feel free to ask if you need any more clarification about anything I've said :)

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Monitor Audio seem to have learned a lot from the Platinum range, and it shows - the GX200's sound more like Platinum than Gold - much tighter, more open, smoother and sweeter. When I learned of the prices originally, I was a little dubious of how successful the range would be, but so far, the GX200's are up there with the best. Granted, they're not going to worry fans of speakers like proAc, but they'll appeal to more or less everyone else! As always, amplification quality will play it's part. I've been hearing them on a monoblocked Cyrus system, so probably as good as they're likely to sound.

Thanks for that - I'll be using them initially with Cyrus Mono Xs, possibly moving to the new Mono 300s if funds ever allow. Cyrus and MA used to be considered a very bright/lean sound partnering, so its interesting that you're listening to this combination. My feeling is that the more recent Cyrus products have been much fuller/less lean, while MA speakers are getting smoother, so it could now be a great combination.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
charlesnancarrow said:
Thanks for that - I'll be using them initially with Cyrus Mono Xs, possibly moving to the new Mono 300s if funds ever allow. Cyrus and MA used to be considered a very bright/lean sound partnering, so its interesting that you're listening to this combination. My feeling is that the more recent Cyrus products have been much fuller/less lean, while MA speakers are getting smoother, so it could now be a great combination.
I'm running them in on the X300's at the moment, along with a DACxp+ and CDXTse+, so I can vouch that they suit the Cyrus, no problems at all. Go back a few years, and the pairing of the RS series with Cyrus integrated amplifiers was quite a popular one with a certain retailer, but things have moved on since then. The lean integrated amplifiers have gone and made way for warmer, fuller sounding ones, the overly bright MA's have become more refined and civilised now, especially with the GX's. Add to that the fact that the Cyrus pre/powers are a completely different kettle of fish to the integrated amplifiers anyway.

While I've been running these GX200's in, I've been impressed with their forthcoming, informative, detailed nature, which is free from boxiness and colouration. And despite their relatively small drivers, they can take a good panning too! Always an important one that :bigsmile:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts