Any suggestions to narrow search down for new standmount speakers

nfshirley

Apr 7, 2009
Visit site
Hi All

I have some budget to get a new set of hifi speakers. I have around £600-£700, but could push the budget a little more if what I was buying was really worth it.

My setup is a Marantz CD CD6002 (I will be changing this next year) and a Cyrus 6XP amp. I have some Atacama stands and I would like to add some speakers to the setup.

I listen to folk, female vocalists, indie, pop and a small amount of classical music. So quite varied. I like a detailed and clear sound ideally with a hint of warmth (not too much).

I have a medium list of the below speakers and I'm looking for to try and short list it down to two or three sets that I can listen to before buying.

Totem Dreamcatchers, Spendor S3, Ebacoustic EB2 (I appreciate you can't listen to these before you buy), ATC SM11 (a little pricey), Dynaudio DM /6 and finally Tannoy Revolution Signature DC4.

Any opinions, advice, thoughts most welcome.

Thanks

Neil

nfshirley said:
Hi All

I have some budget to get a new set of hifi speakers. I have around £600-£700, but could push the budget a little more if what I was buying was really worth it.

My setup is a Marantz CD CD6002 (I will be changing this next year) and a Cyrus 6XP amp. I have some Atacama stands and I would like to add some speakers to the setup.

I listen to folk, female vocalists, indie, pop and a small amount of classical music. So quite varied. I like a detailed and clear sound ideally with a hint of warmth (not too much).

I have a medium list of the below speakers and I'm looking for to try and short list it down to two or three sets that I can listen to before buying.

Totem Dreamcatchers, Spendor S3, Ebacoustic EB2 (I appreciate you can't listen to these before you buy), ATC SM11 (a little pricey), Dynaudio DM /6 and finally Tannoy Revolution Signature DC4.

Thanks

Neil

Hi Neil

Although over your budget ATCSCM11 monitors are worth every penny of their asking price and then some :) In addition to Dynaudio's excellent DM 2/6 and DM 2/7 models their Excite X12's and Monitor Audio's new GX50's are also worth a look 8)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

nfshirley said:
Hi All

Thanks

Neil

Yup, Dyns are traditionally a very good match with Cyrus. Worthwhile checking out PMC DB1is. Cost is around the same price as ATCs but far easier to drive. I also think Totem maybe a good match for the Cyrus.

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Also listen to Epos Epic 1 or 2. They have a sweet but very detailed sound(stage) and are not that expensive. If too sweet for you than Epos M5i or M12i, more expensive and brighter!

Good luck!

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
IMO two of the best small bookshelf speakers you can buy are the PMC DB1i and the ProAc Tablette Anniversary.

The latter at 1250 quid however, might be above your budget but I think it's worth every penny.

TRENDING THREADS