Any suggestions for converting Audio tape to MP3?!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there,

This may be to far back in the dark ages for some of you, but has anyone got any suggestions for software (freeware would be great!) that converts the old 90min audio tape into mp3/cd audio files?

One of my Grandparents is hoping to convert their rather extensive tape collection to CD, any help would be appreciated, tried searching the web but was googlewhelmed!

Cheers,

Chris.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The only way to do it is the long way, which is playing the tapes in through a soundcard onto the PC, and recording them in real time.

Audacity is a well-respected open-source (and free) software for recording and editing such recordings. I'd try copying a few tapes to uncompressed .WAV files as well as MP3s at various rates, and compare the results before doing the whole lot. If the tapes are precious recordings and you're going to junk the cassettes after recording, copy them all to .WAVs and if possible make a backup copy on an external drive before converting them all to MP3s. Better safe...

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Clare Newsome"]There is another way if you have a desktop/tower PC with a free drive slot: this gadget from Firebox.

We have got one in to test, but haven't done so yet, so I have no idea of the sound quality, i'm afraid.[/quote]

Good lord! What will they think of next? An 8-track version?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts