any one interested in vintage hifi

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Vladimir said:
Recommended watch.
2 very big amps 2 run a very small speaker did you watch part 4 were he tested it running it looks like an old 8 track tape recording for the bell sound .

Not yet.

Mcintosh, the voice of both God and Satan (Church and Woodstock). *dirol*

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Of course luddites say sodd all. Old is good, new is bad.
More like:

Old good is still good.

Old bad is bad.

New good is good.

New bad is bad.

New good is often expensive - there are exceptions -

Old good is often inexpensive - there are exceptions -

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Vladimir said:
More like:

Old good is still good.

Old bad is bad.

New good is good.

New bad is bad.

That's you saying it. I'm refering to luddites/romantics/nostalgics.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I've never come across a single hi-fi luddite / romantic / nostalgic in all my visits to Scalford nor at any of the bake-offs I've attended. I have come across a reasonable number of pragmatists.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
lindsayt said:
I've never come across a single hi-fi luddite / romantic / nostalgic in all my visits to Scalford nor at any of the bake-offs I've attended. I have come across a reasonable number of pragmatists.
you only come across Luddites / romantic / nostalgic people on here there's nothing wrong in a bit of old hifi and being nostalgic about it sad I know .

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Vladimir said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Vladimir said:
Recommended watch.
2 very big amps 2 run a very small speaker did you watch part 4 were he tested it running it looks like an old 8 track tape recording for the bell sound .

Not yet.

Mcintosh, the voice of both God and Satan (Church and Woodstock). *dirol*
yes its way cool they were bulit to last
I quite like those McIntosh amplifiers the new ones but the trouble is I would have to win the lottery to own one as secondhand ones sell for £4000 or more .

ive never heard one yet and they rarely come up for discussion on here maybe because they are so expensive to buy in the first place .

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
lindsayt said:
you only come across Luddites / romantic / nostalgic people on here there's nothing wrong in a bit of old hifi and being nostalgic about it sad I know .
Can you name any here on the What hi-fi forum? I can't think of any.

There's nothing wrong in being nostalgic. But everyone I've come across in the hi-fi world that has engaged in hi-fi nostalgia has been more of a pragmatist than a Luddite / nostalgic.

I've not across anyone that's claimed old is good, new is bad. I've come across a few that have said old good is generally more affordable than new good and sometimes even more affordable than new bad.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
lindsayt said:

I know some in person. R2R, tubes, 78s, horns and CRTs all the way. Flat screens and digital tuners are works of the devil. *diablo*

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
lindsayt said:

There's nothing wrong in being nostalgic. But everyone I've come across in the hi-fi world that has engaged in hi-fi nostalgia has been more of a pragmatist than a Luddite / nostalgic.

I've not across anyone that's claimed old is good, new is bad. I've come across a few that have said old good is generally more affordable than new good and sometimes even more affordable than new bad.
its hard to say really on line what someone is really like but I thought myself and Vladimir like and appreciate the old hifi as well as new stuff . I would not class my self pragmatic which I think means sensible about everything in what I do as I've been completely stupid in the past in what choices I've made but hay that's life as we know it . Luddite I am yet to look up what that means *smile*so you have got me there I am afraid just me then and maybe Vladimir.... cross fingers

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
lindsayt said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
lindsayt said:

its hard to say really on line what someone is really like but I thought myself and Vladimir like and appreciate the old hifi as well as new stuff . I would not class my self pragmatic which I think means sensible about everything in what I do as I've been completely stupid in the past in what choices I've made but hay that's life as we know it . Luddite I am yet to look up what that means *smile*so you have got me there I am afraid just me then and maybe Vladimir.... cross fingers

Google it.

Luddite was an old repair tech I visited occasionally to fix gear. He would drone constantly how he hated new TVs, AVRs, anything digital, new speaker drivers, basically anything made before his midlife crisis. He perpetuated a lot of myths about old kit that I see and recognize on some vintage pages and forums. I'm not saying he was wrong all the time, I learned so much from him, but oh man when he had one of those days, I prefered waiting outside.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
lindsayt said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
lindsayt said:

Google it.

Luddite was an old repair tech I visited occasionally to fix gear. He would drone constantly how he hated new TVs, AVRs, anything digital, new speaker drivers, basically anything made before his midlife crisis. He perpetuated a lot of myths about old kit that I see and recognize on some vintage pages and forums. I'm not saying he was wrong all the time, I learned so much from him, but oh man when he had one of those days, I prefered waiting outside.
yep I just did it's a word I've not heard before . No that's not me the bit of technology I hate is about iPhone when they bring one out every 6 months the same with the iPad when there is nothing wrong with the first iPhone or iPad I brought 6 months before hand

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir said:
lindsayt said:
Vladimir said:
More like:

Old good is still good.

Old bad is bad.

New good is good.

New bad is bad.

That's you saying it. I'm refering to luddites/romantics/nostalgics.

Well said lindsayt - and let's include music lovers too!

tonky

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts