any one interested in vintage hifi

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
i am interested in vintage hifi

i am after the 1970s version of my yamaha as a second setup the CA-2100 which is just as good as my current S-A2100 not bad for a amp that was made in the 1970s just look at this video of the hardwere inside this old 1970s amp and then look at the modern version .https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jjAZz7NOK0

also marantz also made some very good amps back in the 1970s so anyone want to add there thoughts what amps they like that are vintage

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Here you can look at objective reviews of vintage kit from a UK publication. I've added my Technics SU-7700, the Yamaha CA-2100, Accuphase E-202 and the final comparison chart of all 50 amps tested.

What I look at for performance is:

1) Current delivery capabilities, can it survive 2ohms without terribly sagging.

2) Low IM distortion.

3) Good volume pot and VU meters.

The Technics SU-7700 smokes much more powerfull and expensive amps with its current delivery, runs well with my 3ohm towers, it bosses them arround. Sound is fast, clean, viceral. Bass is tight and cymbals shimmer. There never is sign of distortion or harshness, yet it doesn't sound veiled or 'smooth'. The volume pot is a Matshushita (like everything inside) with 40 step notched turns. Feels and works better than the standard Alps RK27 IMO. The VU meters and flip switches are sexy. Mine is 40 years old and it has DC Offset of 0mV and 1.1mV. Bloody fantastic.

It's bigger brother SU-8600 is better made, more powerful, yet crashes when it is introduced with 2ohms load. The Yamaha CA-2100 doesn't even have a 4 ohms rating, so worst case scenario is to give it 4 ohms and as tests show, it remains stable without issues. I would have the Yammie over the Technics with 8 ohms speaker, but not with 4 and lower. It gets hot like a mofo.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I no the old Yamaha amplifiers will only do 8ohms load which is why I would have to buy different speakers properly some classic vintage speakers that were good in the day to go with it but it's hard to find a CA-2100 anyway but I keep looking .

a lot of the vintage amplifiers that were standout in there day would give a lot of this modern amplifiers a run for there money and you could probably buy a fine example and have it serviced and restored cheaper then what you would pay for on a £2000 amplifier say .

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
I no the old Yamaha amplifiers will only do 8ohms load which is why I would have to buy different speakers properly some classic vintage speakers that were good in the day to go with it but it's hard to find a CA-2100 anyway but I keep looking .

a lot of the vintage amplifiers that were standout in there day would give a lot of this modern amplifiers a run for there money and you could probably buy a fine example and have it serviced and restored cheaper then what you would pay for on a £2000 amplifier say .

They can do any load if they had proper sized heatsinks and large cooling areas. They have heat dissipation suitable for 50W-60W Class AB. And they can be switched to run 30W Class A, which is insane! This is why these amps are rare, most of them self-destroyed. Same with Marantz integrated amps with that switchable Class A thing (like the PM-94).

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Nop.

Too big, too shiney ... lounge hoggers.

The only concession I'd make is for a nice valve amplifier and that would probably be of newer vintage too.

chelstondave

May 23, 2010
Visit site
That receivers tend to cost less than their equivalent amplifier so a Nad 3020 often goes for upwards of £100 whereas the 7020 seems to cost about £70 odd

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
chelstondave said:
That receivers tend to cost less than their equivalent amplifier so a Nad 3020 often goes for upwards of £100 whereas the 7020 seems to cost about £70 odd

Well, there are far less 'giant killer' legends about the 7020 compared to the 3020, if any at all. However, in the monster receiver era, 'Mericans much prefer receivers over integrated amps, even use the term 'receiver' in generic manner for amplification.

davidvann

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
I was wondering how my klyne 7 3.5b would stand upto new pre-amplifier for sound quality.i have had this amp for over 12 years now I don't know if this is old enough to be classed as vintage .cheers david

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
davidvann said:
I was wondering how my klyne 7 3.5b would stand upto new pre-amplifier for sound quality.i have had this amp for over 12 years now I don't know if this is old enough to be classed as vintage .cheers david

< 10 = second hand

10-25 = classic

25-50 = vintage

> 50 = antique

shado

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
This was my favourite amplifier which coupled with Rotel bitstream Player 865 and Sony APM22ES Speakers with square tweeter and bass enclosures was as good as my current Cyrus and Kef system. It worked well with Wharfedale Diamond I and II speakers of that era as an amp with no tonal controls.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:

Vladimir said:
I think that is great example of a classic that will increase in value in time.

These 2 posts are the crux of the matter. Some people have labelled me as a vintage enthusiast. I see that as an over-simplification. I am first and foremost enthusiastic about getting the very best sound quality for the lowest long term cost. Following a series of AB demos, Darwinian survival of the fittest system iterations, some online research I have ended up with a lot of vintage to antique hi-fi components, simply because of their sound quality to long term cost ratios.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I am a vintage enthusiast and I'm unapologetic about it. History of audio is interesting and the contact cleaner fume headaches are a bonus.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Bought a Rega Brio R some years ago for use by my kids/young adults! Not wanted now. Sold it at Scalford for a similar price as what I payed (still a lot cheaper than ebay though - I'm not in it for the money)

I still have a good Pioneer A400 (preowned) will keep that for now - still sounds good (as long as not pushed). Loved them Sony speakers apm-22es. So well regarded.

I really loved the Jim Rogers 149 - carefully looking for a decent pair - what a classic they were/are!. - those BBC design/specced speakers command HIGH prices too!

Still have a cambridge 840A v2 to offload - no takers at Scalford

cheers - tonky

I used to lust after this fabulous tuner, which had sensational reviews at the time of launch, which I guess was the mid-70s.

A few years ago, a lady in Bristol advertised one on eBay and obviously had no idea what it was worth. I tried it in her home, where it had belonged to her ex-husband, but on headphones it had no bass at all, just scratchy treble. I gave it a miss, but the tuning dial and lighting was all great.

Ever since, I've rather assumed anything that age is unlikely to be anywhere near 100% and have abounded accordingly. I guess I need to hear about a trusted engineer who could do a decent job on repairs and updates.

nick8858

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
I have a Pioneer SX450 receiver, lower part of the price range but lovely sound, superb FM tuner and a nice light show at night. Cat sits on it to keep warm in winter. My modern Pioneer class D amp is of no interest to her at all as its cool to the touch. Clever cat that one!

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Superlative Audio Flat Panel Delivered to the Vienna State Opera.

afp1000-h.jpg

afp1000-thater.jpg

TRENDING THREADS