Any obvious reason NOT to buy the Pana TH37PX70

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've got a budget of about £1000 to buy a TV, recordable DVD & stand. I'm looking for a set around the 37" mark.

Reviews look great for the Pana TH37PX70. However I'm not going to be using playstations, Sky HD etc. 99% of the use will be regular off-air freeview TV, and occasional DVD watching.

Any obvious reason NOT to go for the Pana?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
The Pana's got a superb Freeview TV tuner, so you should be more than happy with it for that.

The only drawback I can think of for it is the same one for any plasma TV - the risk of station idents 'burning' onto the screen. For example, if you watch the same TV channel for hours on end and it has a strong logo, that logo may still be visible when you switch the set off, or indeed when you watch something else afterwards.

But this is far less of an issue than it's sometimes made out to be. I think as long as you're aware of it, it's unlikely to happen in the first place. I certainly wouldn't let it put you off buying what is an exceptional TV.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the quick feedback Clare :)The man in my local Panasonic shop (unsurprisingly I suppose!) told me that newer Plasma screens had eradicated the problem of screen burn. I'm glad you have mentioned this issue. When this occurs, is it a permanent mark, or will it disappear over time? Thanks again

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Screen burn is a permanent thing, BUT you really shouldn't be worried about it for domestic use, unless you plan to watch a static image for hours/days on end.

Even TV stations with idents tend to have adverts, which obviously changes the image and prevents the burn from occurring.

It's more of an issue with commercial plasmas that tend to be on a software loop. But it does still potentially effect all plasmas - just as 'blown' pixels can effect any LCD set.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="hainesi"]The man in my local Panasonic shop (unsurprisingly I suppose!) told me that newer Plasma screens had eradicated the problem of screen burn.
[/quote]

To a great extent they have, and the Panasonics have a system which reduces contrast after a few minutes in certain circs to reduce the chance of screen burn. As the manual says:

"Contrast is lowered when the following conditions without
any user operation for a few minutes:
? no signal in DVB or AV mode
? selected locked channel
? selected invalid channel
? selected radio channel
? displayed menu"

In other words, typical circumstances where there might be something left static on the screen for an extended period.

However, there's an opinion that screen burn is more likely during the early stages of the screen's life, so a sensible precaution might be to back off on the brightness and contrast - always a good thing, given how 'hot' most sets are configured by default - and avoid the use of any 'dynamic' picture modes, at least in the early days of ownership. IMHO it's worth avoiding the dynamic modes altogether, but that's a personal preference.

I reckon you should stick with these less dynamic settings for the first month to six weeks, given an average of four hours or so of use per day, just to be on the safe side.

That said, I run a (now slightly elderly) Fujitsu 50in plasma at home, which has been in use for at least three years, and I've never had a sniff of screen burn. So I must be doing something right...

A

Anonymous

WOW! Thanks very much to both of you. Now all I need is approval from higher authorities for the spend...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts