any funny hifi tips

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

John Duncan

Hughes123:bladeslap:
One set of speakers per room is a must...the spares reverberate, muddying the sound and losing focus.

Ah, so you'd love the six guitars I have in my room...

emotion-42.gif

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
fatboyslimfast:That sounds like a peter belt thing - have you got the link there? I'd love to hear some of his "ideas" again - always made me chuckle...

This is the Peter Belt website - this could keep you going for a while!

shado

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
I still have those green plastic rims that fit around the edge of the CD that was supposed to stabilise the disc within the player for that extra ounce of sound
emotion-3.gif

A classic 80s Audiophile gadget!

A

Anonymous

ElectroMan:
fatboyslimfast:That sounds like a peter belt thing - have you got the link there? I'd love to hear some of his "ideas" again - always made me chuckle...

This is the Peter Belt website - this could keep you going for a while!

Is this guy real? Pinning back curtains and blue paper below plant pots. Its a Hifi for the love of God, not a chapter from the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy

A

Anonymous

The following is a selection of Free sound improving techniques for you to try.
Plain piece of paper under one of four feet.

Place a plain piece of paper under any ONE of the four feet of a piece of equipment. This applies to any piece of equipment, even if it is not an item of audio equipment. Listen to some music for a short time, then remove the piece of paper and see if you can listen to the same music with the same pleasure - without the plain piece of paper in position !!

Pinning back one corner of a curtain.

Pin back ONE of the four corners of all curtains in the listening room with a safety pin.. Listen to some music for a short time, then remove the safety pins and see if you can listen to the same music with the same pleasure - without the corner of the curtain pinned back !!

Plain piece of Blue paper under any vase of flowers or any pot plant in the listening room.

If you have a vase of flowers or a pot in a plant pot in the listening room, stand the vase or the plant pot on a plain piece of BLUE paper. Listen to some music for a short time, then remove the piece of Blue paper and see if you can listen to the same music with the same pleasure - without the piece of Blue paper in position !!

Tying a Reef knot.

If you have two adjacent power cords or two adjacent interconnects, unplug the power cords from their socket, tie a reef knot in them, replace the plugs back in their sockets and listen for a short time to some music. Then untie the reef knot and see if you can listen with the same pleasure !! If you have no adjacent cables, you can tie a Reef knot in only one cable by forming the cable into a U shape, giving you two parallel sides of wire with which to make a Reef knot. If you find that you have experienced better sound from making only one Reef Knot in one cable, then tie one Reef knot in as many other cables (power or interconnect) as you can. This applies to ANY cable belonging to ANY equipment - not just to audio equipment.

No other knots should be used. Only a Reef knot (I think it might be called a Square knot in the USA). Two links are given below as visual descriptions. Just make sure you do not make a Granny knot by mistake !!h

http://gwydir.demon.co.uk/jo/knots/reef.htm

Or

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reef_knot

Freezing using a domestic deep freezer.

Try the freezing experiment using a CD first - they are usually the easiest object to hand. If you have two identical CDs all the better as you can keep one CD as the control (no treatment) and put the other CD through the freezing/slow defrost process.

Place one CD in a plain plastic bag and place this bag in the domestic deep freezer overnight. When you remove the CD from the freezer, allow it to return to room temperature very, very slowly. You can achieve a slow defrost quite easily by wrapping it in a towel or blanket. Listen to the CD which has been through the freezing process first and then see if you can listen to the other (unfrozen) CD with the same pleasure !! Putting the previously frozen CD through the freezing/slow defrost process a second time gives you a further improvement in the sound.

If you have success with freezing a CD, then try putting an interconnect or an AC power cord through the freezing/slow defrost process also.

Also experiment by applying the same freezing/slow defrost process to such as batteries. Again have identical batteries. For experimental purposes the batteries used in remote controls are an ideal battery to use. If the remote control takes two batteries, then you require four identical batteries - two to be put through the freezing/slow defrost process, and the other two to be left as the control ones (non treated). After freezing two batteries, insert them into the remote control and listen to some music for a short time. Then replace the (treated) batteries with the untreated batteries and see if you can listen to the same music with the same pleasure as before !!

Although we do not specifically encourage people to put their audio equipment through the freezing/slow defrost procedure some of our customers have done this procedure with success. So, we would like to add a few words of caution for anyone wishing to attempt to freeze their equipment.

If you DO decide to put any of your audio equipment through this freezing/slow defrost procedure, using your own domestic deep freezer, make sure that the item of equipment is sealed in a plastic bag when placed in the deep freezer. After freezing make sure that the equipment is defrosted very, very slowly by wrapping it in a towel or a blanket for at least a day or two. This will minimise the chance of condensation getting into the equipment. Before connecting the equipment to the AC supply make absolutely sure that the equipment is thoroughly dry - i.e. no moisture or condensation inside or on the equipment.

One specific word of warning.

Any item of equipment which has such as a Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) may not be suitable for putting in a deep freezer, as LCD's are not good at low temperature

Pieces of quarter round wooden doweling in all right angles.

Human beings do not like right angles and there are numerous right angles in any room. Such as book cases, shelves, a door architrave etc.

Obtain a length of the quarter round wooden doweling and cut it into small pieces approx 5 cms - (2 inches) and place one piece in any right angle. You can use a removable adhesive such as Blu Tack to attach the piece temporarily for experimental purposes. Listen to some music for some time, then remove the piece of doweling and see if you can listen to the same music with the same pleasure.

Aligning the slots in screw heads.

Align the slots in all screw heads so that the slots are parallel to the earth's surface. ALL screws - screws fastening light switches to the wall, screws fastening AC power sockets to the wall, screws fastening shelves to the wall etc. Listen to some music for a short time and then move any of the screw slots away from being parallel to the earth's surface and see if you can listen to the same music with the same pleasure !!

A

Anonymous

One drop liquid seems to be the stuff, I'm buying 80 litres of it then putting my hifi in it

To ascertain the effect of the One Drop Liquid on any object, it is only necessary to initially stand the small bottle containing the Liquid on the face of the object. ALL transparent material within a listening room, including glass windows, clock faces, wrist watch faces, TV screens, the lenses of eye glasses etc. and display windows on equipment should all be treated. It is only necessary to apply one drop of the Liquid to the corner of a glass window for the beneficial effect to be heard.

A

Anonymous

i.d.c, this is really bringing back my memory of hifi as it used to be--and the silly things i used to do in the naim of
music me and linn- striving for the perfect sound,,and still looking for my nirvana..

A

Anonymous

i also seen a old mag called hi fi for pleasure with a model spread over the bonnet of a car
in a other hifi publcation this month,, now thats what i call in car entertainment,,takes me back
to my more youthful days,,
also seen a story about puting a strong lamp over your cartridge to keep it warm
no doubt this will make the sound warmer and hot hot hot with valves.

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
One I've not heard for ages or I may have dreamt it. Place a brick on top of your equiment to reduce resonance.

Was this a dream or has anybody else heard that one?

Don't block up the vents if you try this and place on a towel or something to avoid scratching the casework.

I've never tried it myself.

A

Anonymous

I think WHFS&V suggested that a few magazines back!

So don't mock that one or you'll be for it.
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Funniest thread I've read on here for ages. I have literally been in tears laughing at some of these suggestions...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts