any funny hifi tips

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
This is actually true about Linn. Not heading the advice, my TV was ruined when placed too close to my Linn speakers. A large purple blob appeared in the corner and was irrepairable. Something to do with the magnetism from the speakers. A costly mistake

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes, that can happen if you use speakers without magnetic shielding too close to CRT TVs, though most modern speakers are shielded and flatscreens aren't prone to this problem.

But I think the Linn advice was more to do with the effect of the TV on the sound, rather than the speakers affecting the TV.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:But I think the Linn advice was more to do with the effect of the TV on the sound, rather than the speakers affecting the TV.
I remember one of the main training/demo guys there telling a story about one of the reps who usd to shift the tv into the hall when ever he listened to music.

also about a customer complaining the sound wasn't right on their system, the problem being solved by putting the headphones which were lying about into a drawer so they couldn't interfere!

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano:I repositioned them the right way round because my A-Ha LP didn't sound right.
Hmmm. Some problems can't be addressed by speaker placement, however, A-Ha LPs being a case in point.

idc

tractorboy:matthewpiano:I repositioned them the right way round because my A-Ha LP didn't sound right. Hmmm. Some problems can't be addressed by speaker placement, however, A-Ha LPs being a case in point.

For a-ha try drilling holes straight into your head, so bypassing the ears and avoiding any unecessary interference.

matthewpiano

tractorboy:matthewpiano:I repositioned them the right way round because my A-Ha LP didn't sound right.
Hmmm. Some problems can't be addressed by speaker placement, however, A-Ha LPs being a case in point.

Oh there were more 'great' LPs in my collection back then - Bangles, Bananarama, Hits 4, Belinda Carlisle, Now Thats What I Call Music 14...... Good job I also had some Queen and Nazareth to listen to!!

(I must also confess to having a CD of A-HAs Greatest Hits that I bought, erm, erm, erm...... last year......)

idc

seasiders rock:

heres one that does work. if you have rubbish floor boards and suffer from a boomy bass try this.

take 4 1" pozi drive screws, screw directly into floor boards ( if you have carpet wait till her indoors is well out the way ) sit spikes of stands or speaker spikes into cups of screws.

sit back amazed, it will work on your rack to...

I agree with this one. It keeps the speakers very rigid and it is easy to get them level on uneven floors. Blue tack between the speaker and stand, and if you can, fill the stand with sand or led shot. Never tried weights ontop of the speakers, couldn't find anything suitable.

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
Get a CD player.

As we all saw on Tomorrow's World you can scratch them with scissors and spread jam all over them and they'll still make what Philips described as 'Pure, perfect sound forever'.

idc

Keep it clean. Hifis appreciate a bit of TLC. Dusting and cleaning contacts and pulling plugs in and out. Neat cable runs keeping mains away from interconnects and speaker cables. Good ventilation. My Rega Mira's sound improved when I lifted it onto small wooden blocks to allow better airflow through its bottom heat sinks.

A

Anonymous

Tesco 'finest' granite chopping blocks. One under the CD player and 2 under the speakers - works a treat for £30. Honest.

No really. Honest!

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
When you want to change the musical color without having the benefit of having an amplifier with tone controls.....

*sit upright with the speakers at ears height to hear the midrange and treble more clearly

* hang like a couch potato for more bass

emotion-5.gif

EDITED BY MODS for house rules violation

seasiders rock

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
Graham_Thomas:Tesco 'finest' granite chopping blocks. One under the CD player and 2 under the speakers - works a treat for £30. Honest.

No really. Honest!

even cheaper...self adhesive car sound deadning panels....

works on glass shelves in racks that ring like the proverbial bell, try flicking with your finger nail, fit under your kit, repeat with finger and note the sound.

under side of cd lids, this one really can transform the sound.

Try under the top plates of your stands, again in my case massive improvement.

Cheap as chips and if you dont like the result it,s reversable....

A

Anonymous

I have done the tecso granite thing. Is much more solid platfrom to sit gear on plus it looks cool.

idc

seasiders rock:

Seasiders rock, I fancy some panels for the car, where did you get it and how much was it? Thanks.

A

Anonymous

Quick question then for you guys. Im just purchasing my first stereo system and about to order some Sound Style z2 speaker stands. It just occurred to me though that they have no cable management system, which i find bizarre. What does everyone do to hide the speaker wire, as im imagining you dont all just have it hanging there right?!

idc

My B&W speakers on Atacama stands just had the cable 'hanging there'. I liked the fact that people would comment on its colour and woven design, so saw no need to hide it. To keep on track with the original thread, keep speaker cables away from radiators where the hot water pipes come out of the floor, the hot spot degrades the sound.

Andy H

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
Easy this one. Get some cotton buds and get those ears cleaned.

This is also reversable if you don't like it, just don't clean them for a while AAAAARGH!!

A

Anonymous

Some mad ones i have heard of,

Tin foil on the corners of the room to reflect sound and stop dead zones.

Vibration dampener on top of a vibration dampener on top of..... the guy had 7 or 8 below his CD player

Sort of useful,

Leave equipment on all the time so its always warm, good for sound, bad for your pocket

Useful,

Make sure the actual wall plugs and wiring are of a decent standard, not old or broken or hanging off the wall

Just weird,

Just take a piece of plain white paper and slip it
inside the sleeve of an LP, or between the pages of a book. Use only
one piece of paper per LP or book ... If you have two or three hundred
LPs in your listening room, I promise that a piece of paper in each
(except where a wordsheet or poster is provided -- here you have to
take care) will greatly improve the sound of your system

This is from a Hifi magazine in 1989, found it on t'internet

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
moomoo2:Just take a piece of plain white paper and slip it
inside the sleeve of an LP, or between the pages of a book. Use only
one piece of paper per LP or book ... If you have two or three hundred
LPs in your listening room, I promise that a piece of paper in each
(except where a wordsheet or poster is provided -- here you have to
take care) will greatly improve the sound of your system

Ah yes, I think this is the same advice that led on to the 'piece of paper under one leg of your chair' thing...

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
idc:
seasiders rock:

Cheap as chips and if you dont like the result it,s reversable....ÿÿ

Seasiders rock, I fancy some panels for the car, where did you get it and how much was it? Thanks.

ÿ

The most widely used is called 'Dynamat', and you can get it pretty much anywhere. Give it a google..ÿ

seasiders rock

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
bretty:idc:
seasiders rock:

last time i bought some got it from the local car accessory shop, it was in squares with a peel of backing. failing that you can find it on fleabay.. it was cheap, coz i am a skinflint !
emotion-10.gif

The most widely used is called 'Dynamat', and you can get it pretty much anywhere. Give it a google..

bladeslap

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
Graham_Thomas wrote the following post at 22-02-2009 11:29 PM:
Tesco 'finest' granite chopping blocks. One under the CD player and 2 under the speakers - works a treat for £30. Honest

ÿ

Stick one on TOP of your CD player too...

And the suggestion to screw floorboards down works...I did it in a previous house with excellent results.

One set of speakers per room is a must...the spares reverberate, muddying the sound and losing focus.

Keep contacts clean.

Have your system on a separate mains loop.

ÿ

A

Anonymous

bladeslap:
One set of speakers per room is a must...the spares reverberate, muddying the sound and losing focus.

Ah, so you'd love the six guitars I have in my room...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts