Any advantage of integrated amp/power amp combo versus integrated only?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there,

I have 2 pairs of speakers that I need to connect to an amp. There aren't too many amps that handle the A/B switching that I require. One dealer has recommended connecting an integrated amp to one set of speakers, and connecting the second set to a power amp that is in turn connected to the Pre-Out of the integrated.

All else being equal, does this configuration result in better sound quality than connecting both pairs of speakers to an integrated that can handle the A/B switching?

Thanks very much.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Assuming the two pairs of speakers are in different rooms, then I'd use a second integrated amp connected to the tape out sockets of the first one, thus giviing you independent control of volume in both 'zones'.

If the two sets of speakers are in the same room - why???

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
If you get later model Arcam integrated/power then you can connect to 2 sets of speakers and biamp them too. Best of both worlds. That's what I'm in the process of doing to set up a second pair in my kitchen

A

Anonymous

Andrew -- The two sets of speakers are in different rooms. For my "listening room", for the best sound, should the listening room speakers be connected to the first amp (the one with the tape out) or the second amp? I am assuming the better amp of the two should be connected to the listening room speakers.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="hendrixj"]I am assuming the better amp of the two should be connected to the listening room speakers.[/quote]

Correct. So which amps do you have again?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="hendrixj"]
Andrew -- The two sets of speakers are in different rooms. For my "listening room", for the best sound, should the listening room speakers be connected to the first amp (the one with the tape out) or the second amp?

[/quote]

First amp.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I have the A85 and P85 biamped and can run two sets of speakers off these. I believe you can with the other Arcam amps too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts