Anthem MRX 710 - Anybody heard it yet?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

JohnHolmes

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
rendu said:
Some people just seem to have an urging need for reasertsment and only post to convince everybody how great are the products that they have bought. I own myself a Onkyo 818 and it is acceptable for music, meaning it does not make your ears bleed like other receivers, it does not make you want to through it out of the window, etc but that is about it. Regarding the new Anthem range I was really hoping that even the 310 would be very strong soundwise but seems this may not be the case. If Anthem does not meet expectations in terms of sound then, I loose the faith.

I've read nothing but praise for the new anthems, what makes you believe they are very strong sound wise?

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
Small stores (that are at a big disadvantage to large stores/chain stores in many ways) that can't afford to take out numerous advertising pages in big circulation magazines, TV ads, billboard hoardings etc etc have to take every avenue they can for advertising themselves.

Good to have your motivation for being here confirmed, David. ;-)

AlbaBrown

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I still have an Onkyo TX-SR876 (relegated to the loft), and having heard the MRX700 (which destroyed my 876 performance-wise) alongside the new 710, my opinion is that the 710 is a noticeable improvement over the 700. Greater transparency, more assured drive, and remarkable integration when driving good sat/sub combos.

The huge power supply gave the old 700 a noticable advantage over the 500, particularly when in 2ch, and what I heard of the 710 (when fed with a Naim CD5si) with music was a rather surprising performance.

If I got back into Home Cinema (unlikely, unless I can find another Tannoy Amesbury as a centre!), I would go for the Anthem 710 on a number of counts:

- It offers to speaker profiles (one for HC, one for music), that can assigned per input (great if you hook up a BD, like an oppo 95/105, over HDMI and 2ch analogue simultaneously)

- It is more detailed, natural, and pacy than any other sub £3k rival I have heard. Plus adding one of their power amps later would make an amazingly potent combination

- and it's designed around pure performance/reliability. NOT crammed to the gills with Spotify/9.2 channel amps/pointless THX Certification (which is no guarantee of sound quality, but costs in terms of licencing)

Damn.

I'm going to be hunting for another Tannoy now....

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I read the very favourable review from avf of this yesterday.

Nowhere was it mentioned that the curve arc2 eqs to is a house curve.

Given that fact and other systems eq to a flat curve i am not surprised it sounds good.

However the whf review will say different as no eq will be used - be interesting reading as will be purely on sq of the unit

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts