Anthem AVR

Samd

Just bought myself a Christmas present (not yet arrived) an Anthem 520 (excellent price!) and reading the manual shows:

Audio on the HDMI outputs is 2 channel PCM as this is meant for the TV's use.

I don't really understand the last bit - why/when would you send audio to the TV through HDMI from the AVR? Or am I being particularly thick today??

abacus

Most AV Receiver users also use them as a central HDMI switching hub, (HDMI carries both picture and sound) so that only 1 lead needs to go to the TV. (All HDMI sources have to go to the receiver to produce surround sound, so it is logical to use this for switching as well)

Bill

Samd

abacus said:
Most AV Receiver users also use them as a central HDMI switching hub, (HDMI carries both picture and sound) so that only 1 lead needs to go to the TV. (All HDMI sources have to go to the receiver to produce surround sound, so it is logical to use this for switching as well)

Bill

Thanks Bill I appreciate that but why would you ever want to send audio to the TV from the AVR?

Samd

simonlewis said:
Does it mean it takes sound from the tv as in ARC.

It is in the section of the manual where it is talking about the HDMI 'Outs' of the Anthem so if they do mean that, it is very badly worded and in the wrong section. When I was researching the Anthem prior to purchase, I came across a thread on AVS Forum where someone mentioned this as a problem i.e. 2 ch PCM output - can't find it now!!

abacus

Samd said:
abacus said:

Bill

Thanks Bill I appreciate that but why would you ever want to send audio to the TV from the AVR?

Just downloaded the manual and it does seem a strange comment to add unless you were connecting the outputs to another processor, (Which is unlikely) so just ignore it unless you find something that doesn’t work. (Although as far as the TV is concerned I can’t see what)

Bill

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Audio out to the TV only is handy when you want to watch movies late at night without waking up the whole household with the surround sound. Saves running a second HDMI or a fibre optic or whatever from the source(s) directly to the TV.

Samd

Benedict_Arnold said:
Audio out to the TV only is handy when you want to watch movies late at night without waking up the whole household with the surround sound. Saves running a second HDMI or a fibre optic or whatever from the source(s) directly to the TV.

There had to be a reason for it - thanks would not have thought of that!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts