Antediluvian Mission 760i SE speakers versus...

The Fat Priest

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
I have some old but Mission 760i SE speakers which I may be considering replacing. Currently I am using an old Denon silver box system which I can't remember the name of, but it was one of their very early models and the speakers were recommended for it by What HiFi at the time.

But I think I am going to replace the Denon, but only with a modern equivalent. Should I replace the speakers as well? They sound good to me, and I don't know if I will hear a huge difference as the source isn't going to go up so much in quality (Is it? Or would even eg. a Ceol or a Marantz 603 be noticeably better as a source?)

Q Acoustics 2020i? Would I sit up and listen? They need to sit on a shelf, too - or they'll become cat scratching posts.

Phillip

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Good evening, Reverend, and welcome to the forum! :)

I'm using these very same speakers - for some 20 odd years now. They're fed by a Yamaha receiver (just as old). I recently auditioned a fine single-ended tube amp with them, and they held their ground really well. So I'm confident these 760 SEs won't be the weakest link, when used with a micro system. Give them a try before deciding on a replacement.

Should you change after all, then go for sealed or front ported monitors (like the 760s), as to avoid bass boom when sat on a shelf.

Keep us posted!

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I haven't heard the Q Acoustics 2020i so can't comment on them.

But I did used to own both the Q Acoustics 1010i and the Mission 760iSE speakers. Out of the two I would say that the Mission's are easily the best with a clearer and more balanced sound. The Q Acoustics 1010i speakers are perfectly fine for low budget speakers but I found that the treble was a bit rolled off giving them a warmer sound which is easy to listen to but lacks a bit of detail.

I still have my 760i from about 1994, and they were still sounding good when I last used them a couple of years back. Recently heard the Q series and they are very 'clean' and I suspect a bit more open than the Missions.

I agree with the suggestion of taking them to the audition. I'd guess they will still sound ok in isolation but may sound a bit congested against the best new speakers. I recall they were a little rolled off at HF so suit brittle sounding amps or CDs.

Baldrick1

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Good as they were to my ears my 760is became the weakest link when I recently replaced my amp from a 30 year old to a bang up to date new one. I tried hanging on to them but made the 'mistake' of auditioning the amp with an up to date set of speakers...and the 760is did not last long.

May I suggest that as and when you audition a replacement amp you take your Missions with you and ask the dealer if he/she will demo the candidates using your speakers...then that way you will not be tempted. ;)

On the other hand you will have an opportunity to compare the Missions with a more modern pair of speakers and so decide on the basis of what you hear rather than what you read.

Baldrick1

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
nopiano said:
...Recently heard the Q series and they are very 'clean' and I suspect a bit more open than the Missions.

...I'd guess they will still sound ok in isolation but may sound a bit congested against the best new speakers. I recall they were a little rolled off at HF so suit brittle sounding amps or CDs.

nopiano, what you had described is precisely what I was trying convey as it is almost exactly what I found when I did the comparison a few months back.

OK, in listening isolation but sounding stifled esepcially in terms of the HF. But back-to-back with the new generation...not really up to it. :cry:

A shame as IMHO they were really great in their day...hence why I bought them all those years ago.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
I'd hold on to those Missions - alot of this sounding 'clean 'is one of the reasons so many are disatisfied with their Hifi. If you do take those speakers in and compare them and the newer speakers do sound clearer - consider how clear your speakers sound in your home and try to add that on top of what you hear in the demo.

So if your speakers sound dull in the demo room compared to your home consider a speaker that sounds 'cleaner' ' louder 'may drive you to the drink once in your home.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts