Another What hifi magazine blooper??

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
Just got the new edition of the mag through my door and started reading it. Got to the speaker group test and looked at the now add these box. Don't think the sound quality of the speakers is going to be very good with that speaker cable, looks suspiciously like a HDMI cable to me!!

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
OK, you got us, fair cop. As Ms Editor-in-Chief Newsome is currently in Las Vegas, I'll cut out tea and biscuits for the production dept for the rest of this week... still, hardly the worst crime against humanity!

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Andy Clough"]
OK, you got us, fair cop. As Ms Editor-in-Chief Newsome is currently in Las Vegas, I'll cut out tea and biscuits for the production dept for the rest of this week... still, hardly the worst crime against humanity!

[/quote]

Will accept a pair of the ATC SCM11's as a way of apology :))))

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Is it that time of the month again. How exciting...my missus will be chuffed for the next couple of days as I become a magazine worm again.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Clare Newsome"]Yep, new issue out on Thursday 10th - or if you're a subscriber you should be getting it any day (as shown by this thread!)[/quote]

Clare....there is only one winner on the Roulette table :) ViVa

A

Anonymous

Just got mine yesterday. I thought it was a nice balanced (between hifi and HC) issue.

Talking of the speaker test, the recommended components Apollo/Kandy/SCM11 - has anyone found a hifi shop in the north of england that sells all 3??
jules.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
[quote user="Thaiman"]Clare....there is only one winner on the Roulette table :) ViVa[/quote]

???
[/quote]

Only you can come up with that Mr. E...

I am not old enough to remember the ViVa HB :) Was that the motor you used in 1964?

ps to Clare: http://www.destination360.com/north-america/us/nevada/las-vegas/elvis-las-vegas.php

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Is Andrew secretly involved with What Car?

They must be having a bad month, Claire goes away and they lose the ability to publish the magazine! Speaker cables that look like HDMI leads,
Denon DVD-1940's costing £2000,

Whatever next ? A Linn amp only getting three stars?

A

Anonymous

They'll be reviewing the sound of mains leads and equipment stands next.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Thaiman"].I am not old enough to remember the ViVa HB :) Was that the motor you used in 1964?[/quote]

Five year old in driving licence shock!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Gerrardasnails"]Keith Mc.

Why do you read the mag or post on the forum. You should subscribe to What Sad Guy![/quote]

Are you the editor?

A

Anonymous

[/quote]
Hmmmm, Andy seems to be displaying his usual attitude to the accuracy of the content of the magazine!!!

Perhaps we should start a thread to list all the typos, errors and bloopers in each issue? ;)

A

Anonymous

.....Shows my age but I learnt to drive on one of these....

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
[quote user="Mr_Orange"]Hmmmm, Andy seems to be displaying his usual attitude to the accuracy of the content of the magazine!!!
[/quote]

Oh come on! It was a genuine production error (they happen) and as annoying for us as it is for you. None of us likes making mistakes, and when they do happen it's very frustrating.

But here's the thing - we're human, and at least we had the honesty to admit to the error. I was just trying to inject a little humour into the situation... believe me, everyone on What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision cares passionately about what we do and we go to extraordinary lengths to try and ensure the accuracy of what we publish.

A

Anonymous

And that's why Andy, What Hi-Fi is THE BEST hi-fi magazine on the market! And why it's the most popular too!

I may be wrong - but on page 32 under HOME CINEMA OPTIONS, it says under Digital Recorders : Budget: Panasonic DMR-EZ27 £250 and under Midrange: Sagem DVR64250T £170....surely the Sagem should be under budget and the Panasonic under mindrange if they are the prices as quoted?

No offence and all.......but just thought I would say.....

A

Anonymous

Folks, if the most recent issue has more than its fair share of gaffes, please accept my apologies. As Andy has pointed out, we're only human, and we're also always tight on time in our pre-Christmas issue -ÿthe one you're reading now. However, while I never like to see typos or other production errors marring our magazine, two other unforeseen factors might also have impacted on the accuracy of our proof-reading in this particular instance.

First, the guv'nor (Clare) was promoted just before Christmas - she's now the Brand Director of the title - and as a result, she spent an unexpectedly large amount of time in our press week period out of the production 'loop'. Normally, she casts her eagle eyes over page proofs after I've seen them, and picks up anything that's eluded me.

Secondly, I nearly got killed on the way home from work (December 12th, if anyone's interested) when an articulated lorry decided to change lanes on the M25. Unfortunately, he didn't notice that I was already occupying the bit of road he wanted to move into. Result? One very badly messed up car and - for a few days - one rather distracted Deputy Editor. Amazingly, I'm not hurt, but looking back on it, I expect my normally fine-tuned nose for a misplaced caption or incorrect price was slightly out of whack for a week or so.

Anyhow: barring further upheavals, normal service will resume next issue. Even so, there'll always be something we miss -ÿand on that front, thanks Hughes123, for highlighting an error we've been running with for several issues now!

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Andy
I wouldn't worry about it, I have ten years worth of back issues on my shelving-Jez Ford was editor then, and I don't think there's a single period of editorship or sub-editorship in there that hasn't got it's bloopers and they didn't have a website to run.
My favourite blooper is in one of the awards issues (1999?) where the price of the winning CD player (MF X-Ray) changes between the CD player (£800) and system section (£600).I like to think that Musical Fidelity were so nice they dropped the price in honour of the award :).

May I ask a cheeky one in here? Should Claire be leaving us, could she be allowed a "so long and thanks for all the fish" column. Editors used to waffle on about all sorts of things when leaving. Steve and Andy just disappeared, leaving us wondering where they had gone.

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
still, hardly the worst crime against humanity!

[/quote]

IMO I agree. This is getting out of all proportion. Mistakes happen. Given the number of processes involved in producing a quality magazine this is to be expected to happen on occasion. We should be talking/discussin/recommending/arguing about hifi - not errors which we can all make.

A

Anonymous

All magazines and newspapers make mistakes, main thing is that WHF is a good unbiased read.

Glad your OK Andy K, unfortunately road accidents happen as well.

Cheersjules.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Gwyndy"]May I ask a cheeky one in here? Should Claire be leaving us, could she be allowed a "so long and thanks for all the fish" column. Editors used to waffle on about all sorts of things when leaving. Steve and Andy just disappeared, leaving us wondering where they had gone.[/quote]

Clare is very much not leaving us. She's been promoted to the twin roles of Brand Director and Editor-in-Chief of WHFSV, so I am sure you'll be seeing her around these parts for a long time to come.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts