Another good one bites the dust...

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
Onkyo finally files for bankruptcy.

I have two products bought in the last five years. An a-9010 amp and C-N7050 network CD player. They have given me trouble free pleasure but my son thinks of me as a dinosaur owning such large items of kit. He uses smart speakers and streamed services so perhaps traditional hi-fi components face demise.

I have two products bought in the last five years. An a-9010 amp and C-N7050 network CD player. They have given me trouble free pleasure but my son thinks of me as a dinosaur owning such large items of kit. He uses smart speakers and streamed services so perhaps traditional hi-fi components face demise.
I guess that full-sized affordable items are probably a dying breed. We all used to want amp, tuner, CD and Cassette deck, all in full width boxes. But that seems ‘vintage’ today.

Big boxes are still de rigeur for ‘proper’ Hifi, but that tends to be expensive and beyond the requirements of the non-audiophile who just wants music available easily.

“Alexa, play Spotify”, as my wife says.

Reactions: Edbostan
Always liked their stereo pre-power they did, which was underrated in my opinion. Always remember selling their CD players in the early 90s which sounded really good, and preferred them to the mainstream ones of the day. They hit the mother load with budget AV receivers a while back, but they stuck to clunky Audyssey room correction, which was mediocre at best, and much of the time was best left alone, and tried to maintain that success by adding more and more features and offering it cheaper and cheaper - a sure fire way to the bottom. Sad, but surprised they lasted this long.

suburbansky

Mar 15, 2022
Visit site
I bought one of their AV receivers about 8 years ago, to use in a simple 2 channel setup... Why? It was a cheap Black Friday offer and it had Spotify on board, plus I was a bit short of money back then. Well, it still works - however, the streaming functionality became gradually obsolete: First, a bug with Spotify made it go to full volume as soon as the connection was established (neighbours once rushed over, thinking there had been an explosion in our flat) - small wonder my speakers still work. Then I switched to Tidal, support for which was never added to my device. It even supports long-dead services (Aupeo, anyone?). So in short: It still plays but it's never been an easy relationship. I'll replace it soon, but I will definitely hold on to device.

manicm

What Andrew Robertson said in one of his latest videos. Onkyo the origina company is going bust, but the equipment has been licensed out to Sharp, so the brand is in safe hands. And anyway if they had gone down, so would have Pioneer and the other group sub-brands.

TRENDING THREADS