Another budget set-up review!

T

the record spot

For a number of reasons, not least linked to looking to streamline our home setup and thanks to having been under threat of my current contract not being renewed, we've looked at shifting on the venerable old Sansui AU-717 on. It's not solely that, it's a fantastic amp, but it's coming up on 34 years old this year and the TLC element will occur again at some point in the future. Technology has moved on apace too in the last few years and our requirements are more than a (brilliant) integrated from November 1977 can cope with. Sadly, the time has come to recognise that the young upstart of changing conventions has yanked the old Sansui's beard and all too accurately called time on it. So, having removed the 717 to get it spruced up for a few shots of the interior and exterior ahead of going on a number of sites before Ebay next weekend, I thought it would be good to try out the junior sibling downstairs. So out came the AU-217 and it was hooked up. It's a well run amp, being roughly the same vintage as the bigger 717, so it didn't take too long for it to warm up and start sounding as I recalled it. I've been using the Sony S370 with the Spitfire II as my main player of late and with the 217 I was immediately impressed by the presentation of the music. All the pieces worked nicely and with all kinds of music. The scale is well represented, there's a good depth and soundstage, even with my knackered left ear toiling away. The music is so well represented it's untrue. Elton's "Madman Across the Water" CD was just beguiling - Tiny Dancer and Levon being particular standout tracks, mostly as they're two of my favourites of his. Currently playing some Brahms and it sounds amazing; vocal, strings, beautfiul. What amazes is that this quality of music would set you back less than £450. £250 at the top price for the Spitfire, £50 for the Sansui and £100 for the Sony player. Fantastic VFM and another winning combination.

A

Anonymous

pp, hasn't the rs made it perfectly clear in the opening few paragraphs that he's selling for several reasons, none being connected to sound quality, which he also makes clear he is still more than happy with?

and the second part of the post points out how great sound quality can be had for small money using said componants, all rather eloquently worded i might add, though he forgot to include the price of speakers
emotion-1.gif

T

the record spot

Max nailed it - nothing to do with the current ear problems PP! And LOL @ Max, well, my 752s were £80, so we're still at good quality gear for £500...! OK, maybe £750+ if buying new for similar performance!

I was really just quite surprised at how impressive the music came across. Really cut to the heart of whatever was played. The Spitfire's a fine DAC for the money (even at full price) and the Sony's a very capable transport if a little quirky.

A

Anonymous

the record spot:Max nailed it - nothing to do with the current ear problems PP! And LOL @ Max, well, my 752s were £80, so we're still at good quality gear for £500...! OK, maybe £750+ if buying new for similar performance!

I was really just quite surprised at how impressive the music came across. Really cut to the heart of whatever was played. The Spitfire's a fine DAC for the money (even at full price) and the Sony's a very capable transport if a little quirky.
emotion-1.gif
isn't the part of the brain that manages memory close to the left ear, if so you've got a legit excuse
emotion-5.gif

and sinusitis can cause blurred vision so pp's covered too
emotion-4.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts