Another BBC missed opportunity

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Clare Newsome"]Maybe they should cross-charge Andrew Lloyd Webber for all the free promotion his productions are gettting via their TV shows.[/quote]
Yup, I'm with Kevin Spacey on this one...

John Duncan

[quote user="Andrew Everard"][quote user="Clare Newsome"]Maybe they should cross-charge Andrew Lloyd Webber for all the free promotion his productions are gettting via their TV shows.[/quote]
Yup, I'm with Kevin Spacey on this one...

[/quote]

Presumably not whilst walking his dog?

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
On a sligtly differnt note, Why are BBC related Blu-Ray relieses in 1080i and not 1080p? Planet Eatrh and Eastern Promises(something to do with BBC drama I think) are both in 1080i.

A

Anonymous

To play devils advocate for a moment, what exactly is the benefit to the BBC of putting out HD material, when it is Mr Murdoch's Sky who will cash in by charging people £10 per month for the privilege? As most people can't get HD unless they subscribe to Sky, why should the BBC help sell Sky dishes?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Very Annoyed"]
To play devils advocate for a moment, what exactly is the benefit to the BBC of putting out HD material, when it is Mr Murdoch's Sky who will cash in by charging people £10 per month for the privilege? As most people can't get HD unless they subscribe to Sky, why should the BBC help sell Sky dishes?

[/quote]

That's a good question but with an easy answer. Whilst the BBC itself is a non-profit organisation they own BBC worldwidee who the shows pass to for marketing aborad. The BBC DVD's you own are also put out by another branch of the BBC who make money on you copies of life on mars that you buy. The accumalated money then finds it's way back to auntie so they can pay grahm mnorton too much money for being a prat on TV..

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Duncan2112"][quote user="Very Annoyed"]

[/quote] That's a good question but with an easy answer. Whilst the BBC itself is a non-profit organisation they own BBC worldwidee who the shows pass to for marketing aborad. The BBC DVD's you own are also put out by another branch of the BBC who make money on you copies of life on mars that you buy. The accumalated money then finds it's way back to auntie so they can pay grahm mnorton too much money for being a prat on TV..[/quote]

How much Norton or Ross get paid has nothing to do with what HD content the BBC is putting out. If Sky control the gateway to HD, why should the BBC help Sky sell subscriptions? In time things will change, because other means of recieving HD will come on line, then The BBC will put out more content.

tvmog

Apr 1, 2008
Visit site
Russell T Davis was asked recently about when Doctor Who might go HD and I believe he said that the cost of producing all the special effects at HD was beyond the budget. He also said that he was happy with the look that standard def gave the images. So if the producer isn't madly keen to rush to HD it will probably be a while yet.

Andy TW

Jul 13, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Very Annoyed"]

How much Norton or Ross get paid has nothing to do with what HD content the BBC is putting out. If Sky control the gateway to HD, why should the BBC help Sky sell subscriptions? In time things will change, because other means of recieving HD will come on line, then The BBC will put out more content.
[/quote]As far as I know you do not have to pay the £10 HD subsciption (or any other subscription) to Sky to receive the HD channels provided by the BBC & C4, you just need the Sky HD box.If the BBC is going to provide an HD service on Sky then it should be a "showcase" rather than the half hearted effort they put out at the moment.Channel 4's HD service is already better/more comprehensive than the BBC's yet has only been available for a few months.

TRENDING THREADS