Another basic set of questions

Amadeus1756

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Hi All,

Having struggled with COD and Buzz on the PS3 in terms of reading text with my old CRT, I've decided to get new TV. I was going to go for the Philips 32PFL9705 as every review I'd read about it heaped praise upon it, that was until I read the review in What HiFi. So I'm not sure what to do now - I've not found anywhere that has one of these TVs on show; I have seen the 8000 series and I was very impressed with that, tho it was showing a BluRay so doesn't allow me to judge SD for myself (which seems to the the issue in the review - I guess the upscaling in the TV isn't great) which is what I'll be watching a lot of the time.

Anyway, with my existing TV I have rear speakers (which plug into the TV), but the Philips doesn't have those so I think I'd need to get an AV amp. I'm considering the Pioneer VSX-920 (I like iPod input, Internet radio and ethernet), the Sony STR-DH810 (generally not keen on Sony having been burnt a few times in the past but this seems to be good for the money), the Onkyo TX-SR608 (build quality is a bit flimsy?) and the Yamaha RXV667 (doesn't upscale 720p or 1080i - not sure if the others do) - yet to make a decision - still researching but feel free to comment on any factor of any of those - good or bad). If I got the amp, plugged the TV, PS3, Topfield PVR and the Pioneer DV-696AV into it, can I just add some rear speakers - i.e. continue to use the front speakers in the TV?

Once I have the TV plugged in, how do I calibrate it? I know that the Philips has a system which asks you to chose between a few pictures, stating which one you like most but that doesn't sound particularly scientific or comprehensive.

Do most amps come with calibration tools (I know some do - I guess you play a CD and a mic will determine what settings need to change)?

If that does work ok, I would need to get some rear speakers, and maybe a subwoofer, but I'll ask for thoughts on those once I've researched things for myself! [:)]

Many thanks

D

Deleted member 2457

Our John Lewis has the Philips 32pfl9705 and the 40 inch one on demo.

Freeview not great from what i could see in the shop.

As for the high definition picture for me it was hard to tell the difference between that picture and a much cheaper tvs picture, which they had on show and with that tv being classed as a "premium" one - well i think those days have now long passed in my opinion.

I personally would save money and go for a Sony tv.

Amadeus1756

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Gel - which JL are you near? The Reading one should apparently have the 32" and the 40" but it has neither (just the 7000 series). I'll see if they have them in a week or so's time.

I saw the 8000 (showning Harry Potter on blu-ray) in Sevenoaks in Reading, which was close to a Panasonic (didn't note the model) showing a Disney/Pixar animated film and the Philips looked sooo much better - I was amazed.

I like quite dark films, so something with LED backlighting and local dimming seemed like a good option and there aren't many options in a 32" format.

I'll revisit the Sony options; like I said, I've been stung with Sony products before (both times a minor piece broke and it wasn't possible to replace just that part, even tho the part was very obviously a single piece), but a couple of people suggesting them mean that they can't be all bad!
emotion-1.gif

rgds

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Amadeus1756:I saw the 8000 (showning Harry Potter on blu-ray) in Sevenoaks in Reading, which was close to a Panasonic (didn't note the model) showing a Disney/Pixar animated film and the Philips looked sooo much better - I was amazed

Unfortunately you can't draw any comparisons like that unless both TVs are showing the same material, and especially not a live-action film against a CGI animation.

A

Anonymous

Well you will certainly only get 2.0 stereo on the TVs your are looking at, unlike the old crts which some had processing and rear speakers as a complete package. Also to make it worst for you, 99% of the new flat screens come with pretty awful speakers and even worst pseudo surround sound modes.

So you will need a stereo amp & 2 speakers for a decent 2.0 sound, AVR and 2/3 speakers and a subwoofer for 2.1 or 3.1 sound (all sound from the front end) or an AVR and a full set of 5 speakers & sub for full discrete and pro logic type surround sound.

All the AVRs you mention are great in that price range, the onkyo an award winner, the pioneer has some nice features and good stereo performance, the Yamaha has a warm sound ( personally my flavour of choice) I would suggest you try them all, if you can.

You will also need to decide if your going 2.1 / 3.1 / 5.1 or even 7.1, then set your self a budget, if you let us know your preferences, I am sure members can point you In the right direction, but ultimately you will be best auditioning this along with the AVR you like for yourself, as you opinion will differ from ours.

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Those surrounds are probably only putting out a form of Pro-Logic too. I had a CRT widescreen JVC that was the same. If you're using the PS3 you really want proper surround.

D

Deleted member 2457

Amadeus1756:

Thanks Gel - which JL are you near? The Reading one should apparently have the 32" and the 40" but it has neither (just the 7000 series). I'll see if they have them in a week or so's time.

I saw the 8000 (showning Harry Potter on blu-ray) in Sevenoaks in Reading, which was close to a Panasonic (didn't note the model) showing a Disney/Pixar animated film and the Philips looked sooo much better - I was amazed.

I like quite dark films, so something with LED backlighting and local dimming seemed like a good option and there aren't many options in a 32" format.

I'll revisit the Sony options; like I said, I've been stung with Sony products before (both times a minor piece broke and it wasn't possible to replace just that part, even tho the part was very obviously a single piece), but a couple of people suggesting them mean that they can't be all bad!
emotion-1.gif

rgds

Milton Keynes is my local
emotion-21.gif

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Lee H:Those surrounds are probably only putting out a form of Pro-Logic too.

Not necessarily, I've got a 32" Toshiba CRT that has on board Dolby Digital decoding, if fed with the necessary signal.

Amadeus1756

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
the_lhc:Unfortunately you can't draw any comparisons like that unless both TVs are showing the same material, and especially not a live-action film against a CGI animation.

That was the point I was trying to make - I'd have expected a CGI animation to look much better than a live-action film, but in fact, the reverse was true. I thought that said something (tho obviously one would only really be able to compare with 2 TVs showing the same material side-by-side) - or was I simplifying it too much?

rgds

Amadeus1756

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the input guys. I much appreciate your time and experience. It sounds like I've got loads more research to do, so I'll get my hands on as many pieces of equipment as possible before I buy anything.

Having just looked at the Sony site, I realise why I didn't consider them - I find it really difficult to determine differences between the models! For example, the KDL-32EX713 & KDL32EX703 are both shown, with the only differences being cost, physical size (screen size is the same), and the 713 (which is cheaper) includes a Freeview-HD tuner. I guess the 713 has replaced the 703.
emotion-42.gif

The Philips I believe has quite good (but limited) sound, but thanks for clarifying the point about surround-sound and what I'd need to get the full value.

I wonder also, whether your more experienced eyes/ears see/hear things that a more average user wouldn't notice; I guess seeing and hearing for myself will answer that.

Thanks very much

D

Deleted member 2457

Amadeus1756:

Thanks for all the input guys. I much appreciate your time and experience. It sounds like I've got loads more research to do, so I'll get my hands on as many pieces of equipment as possible before I buy anything.

Having just looked at the Sony site, I realise why I didn't consider them - I find it really difficult to determine differences between the models! For example, the KDL-32EX713 & KDL32EX703 are both shown, with the only differences being cost, physical size (screen size is the same), and the 713 (which is cheaper) includes a Freeview-HD tuner. I guess the 713 has replaced the 703.
emotion-42.gif

The Philips I believe has quite good (but limited) sound, but thanks for clarifying the point about surround-sound and what I'd need to get the full value.

I wonder also, whether your more experienced eyes/ears see/hear things that a more average user wouldn't notice; I guess seeing and hearing for myself will answer that.

Thanks very much

You know the Sony 40hx803 is the same size as my old Philips 32pf9731d lcd tv. That would be the tv i would go for at £900 with a 5 year warranty is a bargain to me. Some shops are doing it for £1200 with the 3d pack where you get a 3d blu ray player and extras too. That would then be a similar price to the Philips 32pfl9705 and the Sony 40hx803 has an excellent freeview tuner.

D

Deleted member 2457

the_lhc:gel:You know the Sony 40hx803 is the same size as my old Philips 32pf9731d lcd tv. That's a clever trick, what will they think of next?

Who knows
emotion-1.gif
but i really can't see them get much more slimmer - they would have a job
emotion-1.gif
emotion-21.gif

TRENDING THREADS