Annoying Buzz

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there - anyone any ideas on this. I'm using an Audiolab 8000A (have been for 20 years!) and have noticed a buzz which is always there even with the volume set to zero - as you increase the volume the buzz gets louder. I've been considering buying a shielded mains lead to see if that would make any difference but could this be coming from something inside the amp? What do you think - cheers for any ideas!

Robert

A

Anonymous

Hi there - can't remember it being around - think I would of noticed! I'll check with the inputs removed - thanks for nudging me towards a little detective work!

A

Anonymous

Also check all your mains connections. Could be a bad earth on the mains or a bad ground between the components on the rca.
It is also possible your main smoothing caps on the amps psu are worn out

Brent

A

Anonymous

Sounds like intereference from your power supply is getting into the pre amplifier stage. I bet that buzz is at circa 100hz (rectified mains).

A

Anonymous

Yep that's why I think the smoothing caps are faulty. Too much ripple on the voltage rails.

Brent

A

Anonymous

Smoothing caps and ripple on the voltage rails... thanks but eh - I have no idea what you're talking about.

Following the detective work (un-plugging all the crappy electric boxes from the back of the amp - freeview box being the worst) the buzz has all but gone! Hooray - now I need to find another excuse to upgrade.

Thanks for all your replies!

A

Anonymous

Excellent. Sounds like you have a earth loop problem. Often caused by either the TV or digi box.
Are all the items wired to the same socket?
Brent

A

Anonymous

Hi there - yep they're pretty much wired to the same socket via numerous extension leads / sockets etc. I do keep promising to sort it out but all the wires are such a tangled nightmare that I give in after about 5 mins!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JoelSim"]Yes, when my dog comes into the living room the woofers go bananas[/quote]

ZOMGLMFAO!!!

A

Anonymous

Ah.. Earth loops.. when you rig it up, make sure there is no way electricity could go around in circles forever around your earth lines because, well when it can it does.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts