Anime thread?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Paul.

Yeah I totally don’t care 😂 you can never please a forum. You are either doing too much or too little or you should/shouldn’t have done something, all the while I was dealing with literally hundreds of spam posts most never saw. All I remember from back then is people talking about active speakers like it was the most pressing and important and contentious issue of all time. That lot were upset about everything so I’m not gonna worry too much if they think I didn’t do enough 😂

Reactions: Deleted member 2457
Yeah I totally don’t care 😂 you can never please a forum. You are either doing too much or too little or you should/shouldn’t have done something, all the while I was dealing with literally hundreds of spam posts most never saw. All I remember from back then is people talking about active speakers like it was the most pressing and important and contentious issue of all time. That lot were upset about everything so I’m not gonna worry too much if they think I didn’t do enough 😂
Exactly! Still remember deleting hundreds of spam threads at 2am on a regular basis which the forum members never knew. It was all a thankless job really.

Reactions: Paul.
D

Deleted member 108165

Funny how the old moderators never did any moderating and all the new ones do though!
That's a bit harsh! I thought the old Stasi were quite good. Jury is currently out on the new Stasi... but at least we can see who they are now.

Paul.

Been off this afternoon as I haven’t been well. Watched Penguin Highway, such a good film! Up there with the best Ghibli
MV5BZjVmZGU4MjAtNzRjOS00NTgxLWFjZWUtNjFjNGEzZDA1ZDhmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzI1NzMxNzM@._V1_UY1200_CR109,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

ThisIsJimmy

Nov 11, 2020
Visit site
So I have watched quite a bit of anime. The ones' that have left the most impact on me i'd say are:

- Violet Evergarden
- Puella Magi Modoka Magica
- Your Lie in April
- Fairy Tail
- Fate Stay Night / Unlimited Bladeworks
- Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress
- Dragon Ball (mainly Z)
- Attack on Titan
- Sword Art Online
- Black Lagoon
- The Irregular At Magic Highschool (Season 2 is currently releasing every Sunday)

In terms of Anime Composers, my favourites are:

- Sawano, Hirayouki
- Kajirua, Yuki

If you are in need of any recommendations/preferences, let me know.

Paul.

I’ve watched almost all of those, good stuff on that list :)

I keep meaning to watch you lie in April but I don’t think I’m robust enough for sad things at the moment 😂 Saying that I’m desperate for another season of March comes in like a Lion.

I’ve watched an obscene amount since this thread started five years ago. keep any recommendations coming though. Any stand out shows from this season? Gymnastic Samurai was great, Jujutsu Kaisen is good too.

ThisIsJimmy

Nov 11, 2020
Visit site
Your Lie in April presents a very solid story. Definitely sad, but eye opening at the same time. I can definitely say my way of listening to music and how i appreciate it changed after watching this. The highlighted emphasis of 'What does sound/music make you feel' is something for me many modern day singers fail to realise, and what a good OST delivers on in spades, the OST for this being no exception. :)

The last song I can think of that managed to best match lyrics harmoniously with how a song 'makes you feel' based on its intention is Daoko's Fireworks:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tKVN2mAKRI

Although i didn't think too much of the film, if you wanted an advert to sell it, Daoko over delivered for them with this.

The Two Standouts this season for me are:
- Attack on Titan: The Final Season
- The Irregular at Magic Highschool: Visitor Arc

Paul.

Been working my way Garden of Sinners (Kara no Kyōkai), absolutely amazing stuff. It’s based in the Nasuverse so similar themes and ideas as the Fate series but not directly linked to fate. Animation is by ufotable so it’s A+. It’s on the darker side so bit more fate Zero than carnival phantasm 😂

Watched paradox spiral this eve, genuinely one of the best anime I’ve ever seen.

ThisIsJimmy

Nov 11, 2020
Visit site
Garden of Sinners is dark. I've got the OSTs, but not watched all of it yet. It's on my to finish list.

I haven't watched to much lately, I've read more manga and light novels to be honest.

With Attack on Titan Final Season (ep10/16), i'm up to date with the Manga as well, I have this horrible feeling that they are going to pull a Game of Thrones on us and finish the Anime with a different ending before the Manga completes. Considering how good it's been if they do that, I won't forgive them.

Started watching the "Hortensia Saga". Seems light hearted in comparison. Seems to be centered around a Royal with a masacred familly hiding whilst building up their strength.

"Redo of Healer" seems to be rated highly as a new series, but having read the some of the manga and being put off because of how depraved and sick it is, I don't have any intention of watching that.

I'm going to start watching "Jujutsu Kaisen". I've heard flutterings of an SAO progressive film which could be good as for me the original SAO was never explored enough, being the best of them. Now that Alicization is finished I was hoping they would have ended it, but you know, in the next series that isn't progressive they've done to much to set Kirito up with a showdown either with a 200 year old mental AI of himself or Kayaba's mental copy.

Reactions: Paul.

Paul.

I got a little bit obsessed with sprinter by kalifina from garden of sinners sound track! I’ve really enjoyed Jujutsu Kaisen, definitely one to watch. That show is really well balanced.
When you say redo is sick, how do you mean? I’ve not tried it yet, too much isekai. Truck kun has been busy.
I find when I’m a bit down I always get drawn to wholesome stuff, rom coms, slice of life sort of stuff. Horiyama is really nice, been watching hitoribocchi as well.
oh, and I realised I really should have watched the monogatari series by now so have been working through that. It’s like when people keep it a secret that haven’t seen the godfather 😆

Reactions: ThisIsJimmy

ThisIsJimmy

Nov 11, 2020
Visit site
Whilst some of Kalafina's tracks are memorable with the band serving as a vocal point for more or Kajiura Yuki's vocal works, I like her compositions better. Madoka Magica for me is the chilling apex of her work, and her music style just matches the Anime perfectly. Although it's not credited i'm pretty sure that Kalafina acted as the backing singers on "Sis Puella Magica" ("Be a Magical Girl"...how ironic!). I always shiver when that song comes on as it's always after Kyubey has trampled on the girls existence or brought into question our humanity. I will admit, it is one of the few anime that has given me nightmares. Caused not by anything from a visual standpoint, but from a psycological perspective......god damn you Kyubey!!!

Redo of Healer.....a healer who is a 'hero' (think it's an Isekai) who basically gets treated like rubbish in the initial run through and on beng killed by the princess gets reborn again right at the beginning before everything happens, but with his memories. Needless to say, already being broken, from a tortured existence of his first reborn life, from a revennge standpoint, everything is on the table, and well below the gutter line.

Wil

May 8, 2020
Visit site
crunchyroll
I too rate the following quite highly (having sought out and bought the Blu-ray)—it's slow but affecting, you can watch it with VPN set to U.S.:

"Taken individually, the parts offer nice little vignettes, but taken as a whole they paint a broader picture about the progression of life and love. The ending, which is where this work differs most from Shinkai's previous efforts, will doubtless be controversial and may leave some fans unsatisfied, as it opens itself to multiple interpretations."

There may be other films by Makoto Shinkai available on your Netflix, he who directed Your Name:

Paul.

@Wil added to the list, thanks. @ThisIsJimmy I've never watched Madoka Magica, I’ll give that a go too.

Im on the hunt for new shows at the mo as the current season is ending and I’m running out of monogatari. Started watching Wave, listen to me! That’s really funny so far.

Wil

May 8, 2020
Visit site
Im on the hunt for new shows at the mo as the current season is ending and I’m running out of monogatari. Started watching Wave, listen to me! That’s really funny so far.
On CR, there's only one current series I'm following:

Past seasons, quickly naming 3 that I'd to rewatch:

ThisIsJimmy

Nov 11, 2020
Visit site
Your Name i've had on my watch list for a while. I'd forgotten about that, thanks Will. Will give that a watch this weekend. Also going to watch Magia Record, the sidestory to Madoka Magica.

Also got on my shortlist Promare, and Plastic Memories.

If you are going to watch Madoka Magica Paul, find an uncensored cut of the original TV series. You'll want to watch that and the 3rd movie Rebellion. You can skip films 1 & 2 as that's a rehash of the original TV series.

Reactions: Paul. and Wil

Paul.

March comes in like a lion was amaaaazing. Love it.
Ive had children of the whales on my Crunchyroll playlist from when it came out but never got past the second episode. Not that there was anything wrong with it, I think I just had too much to watch at the time. Will have to revisit!

just finished owari monogatari second season, that was so good. Would put it on the top shelf with Fate Zero. The latest Season isn’t available to stream anywhere, may need to bite the bullet and just buy it.

Wil

May 8, 2020
Visit site
Pardon, I've invested time solely towards my injured arm.

But a quick word today, let's say my vote goes to the anime I buy, those I'll miss if I can't access e.g. I've bought Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works:
DSC05976.JPG
It's an Italian release, no English dub nor subtitles, but I don't care, I'm amused by listening to the original Japanese (and oftentimes as in Children of the Wales, Tokyo Ghoul, and Evangelion, I don't find the dubbed English of the male lead enjoyable).

I'm about to start re-watching Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood on Blu-ray. This is the Netflix link (it may be available to view in your country).
March comes in like a lion was amaaaazing. Love it.
Ive had children of the whales on my Crunchyroll playlist from when it came out but never got past the second episode. Not that there was anything wrong with it, I think I just had too much to watch at the time. Will have to revisit!

just finished owari monogatari second season, that was so good. Would put it on the top shelf with Fate Zero. The latest Season isn’t available to stream anywhere, may need to bite the bullet and just buy it.

Wil

May 8, 2020
Visit site
Update, I stopped rewatching Fullmetal, just didn't captivate me, I now found its art direction, especially characters drawn somewhat clunky, and overall story tone to be not lighthearted enough for my mood.

Am looking forward to assessing this, next week:

Wil

May 8, 2020
Visit site
Having given it a chance, by episode 3, I know I won't be bingeing to finish Netflix's Shaman King series (reportedly will run to 52 episodes, so I may eventually watch the ending and then want to begin from it's beginning).

I don't like how Netflix distributes most of its new anime in a low bit rate e.g. Ep 4 stats:
DSC05977.JPG

Comparatively, Crunchyroll streams its anime in a slightly higher quality… And one series there that I like is Franxx. I bought the Blu-ray release, its stats:
DSC05982.JPG

ThisIsJimmy

Nov 11, 2020
Visit site
I've had a bit of a break from Anime recently. Going to be picking it back up with Evangelion.

Recently watched Girls Und Panzer. I was a casual World of Tanks Player, so decided to watch it. The reason for the whole tankery school on aircraft carriers was a bit mental, but the series was a laugh all the same. I liked the various subtle historical references as well thrown into great effect (if you recognise them).

Unlimited Bladeworks is my favourite to Will of the Fate Stay Night Series. Especially the OST. It infuriated me that they only initially released it with the ultimate uber expensive limited editions until they did a seperate 3 CD release of it last year. Was no way I was letting that go.

I also have the Opening themes for Darling in the FranXX (Kiss of Death by Hyde) and Opening theme for Beatless (Error by GARNIDELIA) in their limited edition Anime Covers. Again both great Anime.

I've been reading and buying more manga than Anime lately. The latest series i'm heavilly invested in is Arpeggio of Blue Steel. The manga differs significantly from the Anime and is much more enjoyable for it. The Fog ship characters are much more developed, and the plot events are more realistic (if you can call AI WW2 ships with complete insanity alien weaponary realistic) instead of making Gunzo and 401 accomplish everything when they don't.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wil

Wil

May 8, 2020
Visit site
I’m going through a particularly busy time. It’s better I don’t try to write for Posting.

Briefly, I began exploring Prime Video. They’ve made available the complete Rebuild of Evangelion, and although I’ve been keen to see the last film, I keep watching for little chunks rather than just in 1 sitting:
https://www.primevideo.com/detail/0LGLRP55V9NY63NO3FSTBTIKLM

Recommended, animation is superb (though the character Shinji…

ThisIsJimmy

Nov 11, 2020
Visit site
I’m going through a particularly busy time. It’s better I don’t try to write for Posting.

Briefly, I began exploring Prime Video. They’ve made available the complete Rebuild of Evangelion, and although I’ve been keen to see the last film, I keep watching for little chunks rather than just in 1 sitting:
https://www.primevideo.com/detail/0LGLRP55V9NY63NO3FSTBTIKLM

Recommended, animation is superb (though the character Shinji…
Aye. Was alarmed initially at the amount of content and tried to make sense of what to watch. I've been working my way through 1.1 & 2.1. Got 3.1 and then the last movie as on reading that seems to capture everything without then needing to do all the Anime series.

Thankfully it's not "One Piece" with its 993 episodes (and still counting) and 30 odd films :). That's 331 hours of just Anime Episodes alone!

Fairy Tail was long enough for me at 328 Episodes (~110 hours).

The most complicated series i've encountered so far in what you are supposed to watch in what chronological order has to be the Taoru series where you have:

- Railgun
- Accelerator
- Index

They all have expisodes that intertwine with each other from the perspective of the different characters. All the events make much more sense when watched in Chronological order.

I'm just going to link to a guy on youtube who has covered it, because it'll be crazy to write down.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNBOd1UvrG4

Also watched:
- How a realist hero rebuilt the Kingdom - It's ok. The Novel paints a much better picture of the events etc. that happen in this. This feels dumbed down in comparison.
- The Honor Student at Magic High School - Follows the footsteps of Miyuki up to the end of the Magic Competition. No-where near as baddass as Tatsuya in the Irregular at Magic High. The next ARC for that has just been announced which will come during the fall of 2022.
- Chihayafuru Season 3 (Just started)

Reactions: Wil

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts