Anime thread?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Paul.

Most of bleach is filler though :ROFLMAO: I’ve got a soft spot for bleach as I remember watching it as a student and being blown away, it was one of the first of the newer generation Shonen battle animes I’d watched. Been rewatching it recently using a filler episode guide and it still holds up. rewatching is in preparation for the 1000 year bloodwar arc that’s coming soon, should be ace!

Reactions: ThisIsJimmy and Wil

ThisIsJimmy

Nov 11, 2020
Visit site
Watched the first episode of 86 Season 1 last night. Was immediately hooked and binge watched it. The second season of 86 started last Saturday. The first took it to the end of Volume 1 of the light novel. 10 volumes of the novel so far have been released in Japan, and 8 have been English translated that you can buy so far (I ordered them earlier). I like the fact their is no filler, no monologue, things just happen. Whilst some of the machinery they use is far fetched, everything else about it felt very real and life like.

Well worth a watch

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSdS29SDvn4

Reactions: Wil

Wil

May 8, 2020
Visit site
I solved a troublesome anime soundtrack like this:
DSC05970.JPG
Mono-ing the Audio from my Mac-mini, then bi-wired (bi-amped, really, from Plasma monitor L & R Outputs) to one Concept 20 speaker. I preferred it for (Mono Blu-rays e.g. Godard and) some streaming content e.g. YouTube etc.

Generally, for especially English Dubs, I want an Audio setup that emphasise a bass presence. It’s high-pitched/tinny sounding English soundtracks that I won’t watch.

This amp of mine produces good bass:
I'll share my situation, the amp I'm currently using was designed with no Remote-function (nor Standby, I tend to turn it on at least 30 minutes to warm up before I really start listening).… Photo from months ago:
007-jpg.2175

What about you? Anyone actually using a vacuum tubes system for anime? Or horn speakers?

Last edited:
Reactions: ThisIsJimmy

ThisIsJimmy

Nov 11, 2020
Visit site
I solved a troublesome anime soundtrack like this:
View attachment 2805
Mono-ing the Audio from my Mac-mini, then bi-wired (bi-amped, really, from Plasma monitor L & R Outputs) to one Concept 20 speaker. I preferred it for (Mono Blu-rays e.g. Godard and) some streaming content e.g. YouTube etc.

Generally, for especially English Dubs, I want an Audio setup that emphasise a bass presence. It’s high-pitched/tinny sounding English soundtracks that I won’t watch.

This amp of mine produces good bass:

What about you? Anyone actually using a vacuum tubes system for anime? Or horn speakers?
That's an interesting way of going about it. I can't say i've come across that yet. I'd be intrigued though to see how my Topping D90 and A90 in a balance would deal with a mono soundtrack.

Couple of other series i've been following during this fall:

Irina the Vampire Cosmonaut - Someone really has it out for the UK, USA and USSR (some of the historical "references" are quite commical) but the story behind it feels typically Japanese and serious.

Fena: Pirate Princess - A fairly interesting story but you do have to overlook a few things.....I mean...a submarine and steel in the age of pirate ships during the height of Global Colonisaiton and Empire? Oh, and a random island with Japanese inhabitants that has the abaility to mysteriously disappear and appear in random places throughout the seas? Writers liberties anyone :)

Paul.

I do most of my anime watching on an iPad Pro with a pair of noise cancelling headphones. If it’s a big budget ufotable or similar show I’ll fire up the surround sound but something about a big iPad screen really suits most anime. It also means I don’t have to put up with audible eye rolls from my partner when the inevitable “problematic” scene pops up 😂

speaking of, I’ve been watching jobless reincarnation this weekend, really enjoyed it (love the mc’s adult voice actor, same as gintoki from gintama) but there are a coupe of bits I’d have cut out!

Need to try fena and irina. I’ve tried the assassin isekai show and takt op.destiny so far, both decent so far

ThisIsJimmy

Nov 11, 2020
Visit site
Are you encountering reincarnation as a theme of quite a few series? Here's another one:
The World's Finest Assassin Gets Reincarnated in Another World as an Aristocrat
I'm glad they've put this into Anime. The Light novel of this is really good. They've done it really well so far as well. It's been a good watch.

I'm looking forward to when they encounter the Demons and the Hero though i'm not sure they'll get that far this season. Their is a ton of backstory that they need to cover.

The one i'd love to see a season 3 of is Black Lagoon. After a 5 year hiatus Rei Hiroe finally finished off what can only be described as a brutal Arc which sees Dutch targetted by a group of French Assassains, i'm not sure if he'll take it any further which is a shame.

Paul.

Apparently anime tends to be created at a maximum of 12 fps and then the cells displayed twice to double up to 24 fps for tv. Lower budget shows are often as low as 6 and the frame rate varies depending on scene type.

Ive noticed that takt op.Destiny does a really good job of animating blur to give an impression of smoothness, there is a scene in the opening where a character waves and they’ve actually animated what looks like rolling shutter effect, you’d hate it out if the camera but animated it looks amazing!

isekai genre has been huge for a while, so much so that truck kun is a meme. I guess the main difference is the prevailance of second chance type isekai, where protagonist is a bit rubbish then dies and gets a do-over with op abilities.

Attachments

• IMG_2306.jpg.JPG
    IMG_2306.jpg.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 2

ThisIsJimmy

Nov 11, 2020
Visit site
Anyone want to offer thoughts on Netflix’s Arcane? I watched 20 minutes (in Mandarin, because [at present] I don’t want to hear anime English) then gave up. It’s its pacing as well as storyline. I’d rather re-watch Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai
Watching the 1st episode, It's based around League of Legends (a battle arena MMO Video Game). Only those who have played the game will probably get much of the context surrounding this. TBH the Blizzard Overwatch Backstory Cinematics are miles better than this.

Wil

May 8, 2020
Visit site
Did anyone watch the live action remake of cowboy bebop? Any good? I loved the original and have little time for 3d people so not sure it’s for me 😅
Since no one has said anything for a few days, my own position is that I no longer have access to Netflix. I encourage you to try it, skim…
My brother has cancelled his subscription, about 9 days ago, and because I don’t miss it enough…

ThisIsJimmy

Nov 11, 2020
Visit site
Did anyone watch the live action remake of cowboy bebop? Any good? I loved the original and have little time for 3d people so not sure it’s for me 😅

Nope but it's certainly on my list

As for Netflix, I'm a sporadic user. I don't have anything that i attest to watching on their right now. I find more on Eurosport that i'm interested in tbh.

alot of this seasons anime are finishing. RE: Zero Season 2 part 2, Restaurant to another world 2, 86 season 2, etc.

However a surprise announcement is season 3 "The Reminisence Arc" of The Irregular at Magic High School starting on December 31st. This has come out of left field as we were not expecting that until winter next year, so i'm looking forward to that.

ThisIsJimmy

Nov 11, 2020
Visit site
From an anime perspective, it feels that Bleach gap has 'Half Life' levels of wait.

I've been watching a few so far this year. Below are the ones that have caught my eye so far:

- How a realist hero rebuilt the kingdom (part 2)
- Strongest Sage with the weakest crest
- My Dess-up Darling
- Attack on Titan Final Season Part 2
- 86 Part 2
- World of Leadale
- The Genius Prince's Guide to raising a nation out of debt.

Paul.

From an anime perspective, it feels that Bleach gap has 'Half Life' levels of wait.

I've been watching a few so far this year. Below are the ones that have caught my eye so far:

- How a realist hero rebuilt the kingdom (part 2)
- Strongest Sage with the weakest crest
- My Dess-up Darling
- Attack on Titan Final Season Part 2
- 86 Part 2
- World of Leadale
- The Genius Prince's Guide to raising a nation out of debt.

dress up darling is great. Wasn’t expecting much from it but it’s so nice!
I haven’t watched genius prince as I thought there would be too much overlap with realist hero, which is better?

akebi’a sailor uniform is pretty good, still loving ranking of kings. Sabikui bisco is surprisingly good considering how ridiculous the premise is.

also quite excited to see Funimation is merging in to Crunchyroll and not the other way round. Funi app is garbage!

ThisIsJimmy

Nov 11, 2020
Visit site
I haven’t watched genius prince as I thought there would be too much overlap with realist hero, which is better?
They are both completely different. Whilst realist hero is the more serious of them and focuses on the general restoration of a kingdom, genius prince definitely is focused more around the Prince as a character, and the political manouevering and scheming. Some of it is also downright funny, watching him extricate himself from the traps of others, or (at points) is rather self inflated ego that has a tendandcy to backfire on himself.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts