Android DAC

philpot1001

May 28, 2015
Visit site
Not posted in a while.... recently bought a Cambridge Audio DACMagic Plus to connect my TV to my amp and play music from my phone (also seeing if it peps up my CD player as a bonus).... TV works fine, but my Samsung A5 phone will not work at all! Checked Google which has instructions on Samsung S6 but the instructions don't work for the A5.... also my girlfriend's S6 has been tried and doesn't work either.... anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Are you connecting the Samsung into the usb in port of your dac directly. These phones by default use their internal audio cards to output to the headphone socket. You will need some app that send the audio out to the mini usb port. I can't exactly remember now. But google ' music via otg on Android'. And a few apps should show up which bypass the internal sound card and send the digital signal to the mini usb connector

philpot1001

May 28, 2015
Visit site
cheers newlash, i was just doing a plug "n" play so that may be it. I did see an audio - USB APP, but it was a fiver, ive downloaded a different freebie, but not sure if itll work or not.....if not ill splash out on the fiver app ;o)

philpot1001

May 28, 2015
Visit site
PS the phone is actually an A3 not an A5 (although i doubt this makes a difference).

Im going to sound thick as a plank now, but do i need a special cable? the app "USB Audio Pro" says an OTG USB cable is required - however i can only find mini USB - female USB ones (i would need a mini USB - Male USB). Would the stndard USB cable that comes with the phone not suffice?

Anyhoo, ill try this HiBy app i got for free tonight (although im not overly optomistic as cant see any USB function on it) and failing that ill try the "USB Audio Pro" app............next phone will have to be an Apple i think, as much as im not an apple fan i never had this ruddy issue with it.

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
philpot1001 said:
PS the phone is actually an A3 not an A5 (although i doubt this makes a difference).

Im going to sound thick as a plank now, but do i need a special cable? the app "USB Audio Pro" says an OTG USB cable is required - however i can only find mini USB - female USB ones (i would need a mini USB - Male USB). Would the stndard USB cable that comes with the phone not suffice?

Anyhoo, ill try this HiBy app i got for free tonight (although im not overly optomistic as cant see any USB function on it) and failing that ill try the "USB Audio Pro" app............next phone will have to be an Apple i think, as much as im not an apple fan i never had this ruddy issue with it.

With a regular USB cable you can only connect your smartphone to a computer. OTG allows you to connect it to other devices. You can get one of those very cheap.

Do a google search just to check if your phone supports OTG, just in case.

philpot1001

May 28, 2015
Visit site
thanks Pedro - just found out i can plug my normal USB cable into the OTG adaptor, so all becomes clear. I'll get an OTG adaptor shortly from Maplins and start again and see how i get on.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
OTG support for Android came recently. How recent I don't remember right now . So older android phones will not have this functionality. So before you spend those 5 pounds for the usb player pro. Please check if your particular model is OTG enabled or not.

The normal usb port that you see on the amp must be for plugging in thumb drives, and this is not where the phone should be plugged. There will be a different looking port on your amp. You can find the exact port iam referring to in your manual. A normal usb cable will not fit in it. So you have to buy a usb OTG cable to connect into your phone , and then usb audio cable to connect the OTG cable to your amp. I know it's all confusing, and iam confusing you even further as I don't know the exact technical names of these cables. But a simple Google search should solve the problem. Cheers :)

daveh75

newlash09 said:
OTG support for Android came recently. How recent I don't remember right now . So older android phones will not have this functionality. So before you spend those 5 pounds for the usb player pro. Please check if your particular model is OTG enabled or not.

Not strictly true, OTG isnt recent, it has been around for years, support/adoption hasn't exactly been universal though so you do need to check if your device supports it...

philpot1001

May 28, 2015
Visit site
Quick update to close this one out in case someone else tries my route - in the end i couldnt ascertain if my Samsung A3 supports OTG. So i just bought a USBA - USBB cable and hooked my laptop up to the DAC. Worked fine straight away as plug n play, and does everything i wanted to do on the phone. Admitedly not quite as convenient, but if i do decide the phone route is a requirement i can always try the OTG rotue, or even just add the BT100 bluetooth function to the DAC (although once again the Samsung A3 limits me there as it doesnt support APT-X).

in short if you intend to use a phone with a DAC i would advise not being tight and getting the base model like me ;o)

insider9

philpot1001 said:
Quick update to close this one out in case someone else tries my route - in the end i couldnt ascertain if my Samsung A3 supports OTG. So i just bought a USBA - USBB cable and hooked my laptop up to the DAC. Worked fine straight away as plug n play, and does everything i wanted to do on the phone. Admitedly not quite as convenient, but if i do decide the phone route is a requirement i can always try the OTG rotue, or even just add the BT100 bluetooth function to the DAC (although once again the Samsung A3 limits me there as it doesnt support APT-X).

in short if you intend to use a phone with a DAC i would advise not being tight and getting the base model like me ;o)
I don't know about Samsung A3 but can tell you that if the cable is plugged in the wrong way round it won't work.

I've used OTG connector with my Moto and Chord Mojo and it will only work one way.

philpot1001

May 28, 2015
Visit site
just to be clear - im not saying the Samsung A3 wont work with OTG, only that I couldn't bottom out whether it would - so i didnt pursue it any further.....I think it would be difficult to plug the cables i was looking at in the wrong way anyway, as one end is micro USB (for phone) the other a female type A USB

insider9

philpot1001 said:
just to be clear - im not saying the Samsung A3 wont work with OTG, only that I couldn't bottom out whether it would - so i didnt pursue it any further.....I think it would be difficult to plug the cables i was looking at in the wrong way anyway, as one end is micro USB (for phone) the other a female type A USB
Ok, fair point. Sorry misunderstood.

With Mojo, both sides being micro USB it matters (when using OTG adaptor). Don't ask me why. You'd think it wouldn't but it does.

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
I think you can easily check the support for OTG. I just installed an app called "OTG?", it checked my Motorola Moto G 3rd gen and it says OTG supported. Also, you can look for specs in many websites I reckon.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts