Andrew which DVD

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Onkyo 605 (silver unfortunately no black). Speakers either KEF 3000SE or the Monitor bronze BR2 or the Tannoy F1 custom. Waiting to audition these three sets when they arrive Dubai sometime in the next two weeks. Advice required for a DVD with good music capabilities. Price range 500 to 600 sterling slightly flexible.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
I'd point you in the direction of the Marantz DV7001 (£600), our 2007 Product of the Year. Not only is it a great DVD player, it also excels with audio, sounding exciting with CDs as well as multichannel movie soundtracks.

A

Anonymous

Andy found the DV7001 in Dubai for £457 and read the reviews which sounds good.Its even in sliver matches the 605 (thats all they had at the time) which keeps the wife happy. That means I will be matching systems to the sliver every time I upgrade I realy need to do something. Sorry carried away there.Question like the DV7001 the price is OK or is it better to go with a blue ray and a seperate CD player.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
It depends how much importance you attach to listening to music, and how much to watching films. If you want the very best music playback, then a dedicated CD player is best.

Equally, if you want the very best film quality, a dedicated Blu-ray player is best. But if two boxes is too much/too expensive, then the Marantz makes a very good compromise for music and movies. Your call!

A

Anonymous

Three questions. 1.How does the Marantz fit into the title of blu-ray or is it. Pardon my lack of knowledge on the subject.2.Would it best to go the CD route wait awhile for the blu-ray market to sort it self out and get a better deal.3.What would you recomend for a CD and seperate blu-ray player based on previous information provided.

A

Anonymous

Sorry just to add that I presume my budget needs to increase for CD and blu-ray so lets say 800/-

A

Anonymous

Just had a call from the marantz DVD supplier informiong me to pick the sysytem up on Friday.For comfort sake and before purchase I would like to know peoples thought on the above three questions. Just what would be a good alternative separates system to compliment the 605 and speakers as noted above.

A

Anonymous

I'd get the Kefs and the Onk. But I would not buy the Marantz. That's too much money for a DVD player. Get a Blu-Ray player and a CD player if you really need one. Ask yourself how many CDs you listen to or if you use your iPod way more than you do your cd player, (outside of the car). A good Blu-Ray player will do a fine job with your DVDs which means you've got all your AV out of the way in one very good item. Worry about the CD player later. And anyway, on an Onkyo 605 with KEF eggs, even the good ones, I think you're wasting your time being overly fussy about CD playback.

You'd need to go down the dedicated 2 channel route to get an improvement from CD playback. So go for the amp and speakers and find a good blu-ray player. When Pioneer replace their £1000 box, that'll be the time to grab one at half price. Otherwise see what you can find in the meantime or grab a PS3 and give it too your kids / grandkids when a good dedicated player comes out. Personally I'd just get a PS3. The Onk can handle all the audio codecs it throws out and it's upgradable. Only player that is. Not reputed to be good with CD playback but hey ho. It's the best compromise I think.

A

Anonymous

I think Andy had given good advise based on the 475 quid the Marantz is going to cost however as he did point out separates would be better quote "your choice". I know prices will drop for blu-ray hence I was checking my options. My problem is how much should I be paying for a blu-ray (you covered that in your post 500 quid) and how much should I pay for a CD player that would sound better than the blu-ray.Being the budget paid needs to fit in with the overall system cost and capability.Oh hell confussing myself I think. Just like to thank all for there fantastic help during these difficult times.

A

Anonymous

Bluray players are going to drop in price and mature rapidly so it depends how quickly you want to get your hands on high def discs.

If you're not in a rush you could go for a decent upscaling DVD player for now (e.g. one of the cheap denons or a bargain basement HD-DVD player) and an entry level hi-fi cd player (if you can handle the extra box).

There's not much point buying a flash audio cd player as your Onkyo and KEF eggs are really going to limit its music potential.

To give you an idea, I have the Onk705 with the KEF3005SEs and Tosh EP35. On my hi-fi side I have a densen cd player, naim pre and power amps and floorstanders. Music playback on the AV system is ok....music playback on my hifi is lovely. I wouln't plug the densen into the onk tho as it would probably start crying...
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Just wondering if I should of gone for the 875 instead of the 605 with better quality speakers however sound advise I seem to be getting the message. I guess its difficult to get the best of both worlds and I seem to get the idea that hifi would be best with floor standers and separate amp and CD. Not got the last two months issues no stock in Dubai so sorry to be a pain and repeating the same subject.Also we don`t have the chance to listen or home demo systems here because of the way agents are set up. Agents and shops that represent them don`t mix brands.Also ther is an attitude if you want buy if you don`t so what (take it or leave it). Its buy and gamble realy as customer service does not exist.There is no resale value either so help is vital. Thanks again.

A

Anonymous

I wanted to buy a system that was a good home cinema set, but also good for music listening. I bought the Onkyo 605 + Marantz DV4001 (maybe you could opt for the DV6001 - even better with music) and added 2 Kef iQ 5 floorstanders as front speakers, 2 iQ 1 standmounts as rears and the Kef HTS 3001 as centre (the centre of Kef 3005SE style package).

As far as audio is concerned I am extremely happy, CD playback is very good and movie sound is detailed and has a lot of power.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
[quote user="sharples"]1.How does the Marantz fit into the title of blu-ray [/quote]
Marantz is expected to launch a Blu-ray player later this year, but I suspect it's likely to be at the more premium end of the market.

[quote user="sharples"]Would it best to go the CD route wait awhile for the blu-ray market to sort it self out and get a better deal[/quote]
Yes, sounds like a sensible plan to me, although keep in mind that any AV receiver, however good, is something of a compromise when it comes to stereo music playback so I'd go for a budget CD player.

[quote user="sharples"]What would you recomend for a CD and seperate blu-ray player[/quote]
If you're still going with the 605 Onkyo, I'd get something like the Marantz CD6002 (£270) or Cambridge Audio 540c or 640C V2 (£200/£250) and pick the MA BR2 or Tannoy speaker package, rather than the KEFs.

As for Blu-ray, we've just tested the new Panasonic player at £350 which is very good, but it might well be worth waiting until some more models come to market and prices start to drop. It's still early days.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Andy much appreciate the forum your professional assessment and advise its what makes me keep coming back apart the forum and mag is a great read. I had already bought the 605 on special offer (more than UK price) and selected three speakers packages based on advice gleamed from What HiFi. None of the Dubai agents have managed to receive there speaker stock yet so my choice is still open. I was going for the Kef but will now give them a miss. The Kef agent as an alternative said he will offer me a special price on the Arcam/Muso waiting for the figures. Monitor Audio have signed with a new Dubai agent and if the response is anything to go by they have made a big mistake (are you reading MA). Had one answer from several calls, text and e-mails. Received the cost for Tannoy which is much more than the UK. Apart from the Kef / Arcam dealer (Dubai Audio Mr Adil) the other agents representing premium manufactures are very poor professionally.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts